As Executive Director (ED) you will work in partnership with
local communities to transform the lives of vulnerable Guatemalans.
You will continue to deepen WINGS’s impact by leading the next
stage of our consolidation and growth. Guatemalan women and girls,
as well as men and youth, continue to be impacted by significant
societal constraints in relation to exercising their reproductive
rights; WINGS provides leadership at the community level, allowing
citizens to envision and act upon their wishes to achieve a secure
future for themselves and their families.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, this position is based at our
main office in Antigua Guatemala. The ED will have overall
responsibility for managing, consolidating and growing an
organization with a $1.6 million annual budget. Currently, the
WINGS Guatemala management team includes Medical Director, Programs
Director, Finance Director, Development & Communications
Director, and Human Resources Director. You will oversee 54
full-time employees and 7 part-time employees.
You will have overall strategic and operational responsibility
for WINGS, including implementation of the vision and strategic
direction in conjunction with the board, leading the staff and
acting as an external spokesperson to diverse audiences in
Guatemala and globally. WINGS actively forges partnerships with
civil society and governmental organizations. You will have
responsibility for fundraising, budgeting and fiscal
Key areas of responsibility include:
- Working with both the Medical Director and Programs Director,
maintain oversight for services currently provided by three
stationary clinics (Antigua, Guatemala City, Cobán), three mobile
units operating pop-up clinics in remote rural communities on a
regular basis, and four satellite teams. Clinical services include
provision of long-term contraception (LARC, IUD), short-term
contraception, tubal ligations and vasectomies, cervical cancer
screenings, counseling and follow-up care. Additional core programs
include a network of Volunteer Health Promoters and the Youth
Education and Leadership program
Strategic Planning & Leadership
- Clearly articulate the vision, mission, theory of change, and
strategic direction of the organization to staff, volunteers,
donors, and other stakeholders.
- Develop and implement strategies that align with our mission
- Continuously evaluate whether, when and how to expand
- Maintain a high-performing senior leadership team and play an
active role in attracting, retaining, and developing a
best-in-class staff; promote a culture of continuous learning and
improvement, ensuring staff at all levels achieve their full
- Deep understanding of Guatemalan culture, indigenous
communities and healthcare needs.
Organizational Operations & Financial
- Manage budget to ensure that it is a financially viable,
sustainable organization with resources to meet current and
projected program growth, together with the Finance Director.
- Oversee effective operations management, including satellite
offices/clinics in Guatemala City, Mazatenango, Cobán, and
- Ensure that WINGS and Asociación Alas de Guatemala operates in
compliance with all applicable laws, including labor laws in both
Guatemala and the United States.
- Understand and comply with duties and responsibilities related
to being the Legal Representative of the organization in
- Ensure adherence to the highest ethical standards.
Resource Development & External
- Ensure robust funding relationships to meet or exceed strategic
goals and objectives.
- Act as key spokesperson and public relations representative of
WINGS and Asociación Alas de Guatemala in order to engage current
and potential donors, while also developing other key staff to
assist in this role.
- Solicit major gifts and work alongside the board and
Development & Communications Director to develop actionable
Board Relations & Executive Reporting
- Establish and foster open communication with the board of
directors and board committees; serve as ex-officio of each
- Plan and prepare meeting structure and information for full
board meetings in coordination with the board chair; oversee and
report on the organization’s results for board of directors.
Priorities for the first 12 to 18 months of your tenure
will include the following:
- Connect and engage with all current staff and WINGS community
advisory board, and visit a cross section of served communities to
establish and deepen working relationships characterized by trust,
transparency and mutual respect.
- Meet with all current public and private partners, including
Ministry of Health and Ministry of Education, and local non-profits
with which WINGS collaborates.
- Meet with and form relationships with all current major
funders, while working with senior staff and board to identify and
cultivate new funders to expand revenue for future growth.
- Guarantee current organizational momentum is maintained, both
in programmatic expansion, and fundraising goals as described in
current Strategic Plan.
A successful candidate will be a champion for sexual and
reproductive health and rights in Guatemala and share our passion
for our mission.
You will bring these personal qualities to the role:
- Vision and Mission: A personal mission
statement consistent with the vision and mission of WINGS
Guatemala. Ability to make decisions, realize goals, and support
new ideas and perspectives that align with the WINGS vision and
- Leader: A proven history of creating
high-performing teams, empowering staff, cultivating leadership,
remaining accessible and approachable, delegating responsibilities,
and encouraging others to follow their passions. Hard-working,
efficient, driven by results and impact, strong organizational
skills and with high personal standards.
- Ethics: Exemplary personal integrity,
demonstrating as key values the ideals of justice and social
- Cultural and Community Equity: Demonstrated
competency to communicate, interact with, and understand clients,
staff, and other stakeholders without regard to origin or culture.
Appreciates how structural inequity and injustice has impacted
Guatemalans, and embraces diversity, equity and inclusion.
Understands the importance of creating community and representing
WINGS within the community.
- Communicator and Collaborator: Ability to
communicate clearly and frequently, and collaborate with board,
staff, and other stakeholders. An excellent communicator who
listens before responding, is open to new ideas, is receptive,
transparent and has a strong ability to develop constructive
- Adaptable: Ability to be flexible and adapt to
changing circumstances. Open minded and accessible.
- Problem Solver: Creative and innovative
ability to resolve problems and find solutions for emerging
challenges; efficient negotiator with the courage to make difficult
- Personal Attributes: Sense of humor,
optimistic, confident, personable, humble, empathetic and
passionate about sexual and reproductive health and rights.
Preferred Skills and Experiences:
- Ability to authentically engage a wide range of stakeholders in
Guatemala and the United States.
- Experience implementing and/or managing social programs to meet
the health, educational, economic, legal or similar needs of
- Significant fundraising experience; excellent donor relations
skills and understanding of funding sources.
- Strong operational abilities, including managing staff at
various levels of experience, knowledge of applicable labor and
non-profit laws, planning, delegating, program development, and
- Excellent financial management skills, including budget
preparation, analysis, decision making, and reporting.
- Experience working with and/or reporting to a Board of
Directors and to board committees.
- Master’s degree or demonstrated equivalent experience in
business administration, nonprofit administration, public health or
medicine, or related social sciences.
- If Guatemalan or foreign, ability to legally enter United
States for WINGS business travel.
- Fully bilingual in Spanish-English.
- Senior leadership position (executive director, managing
director, program director or other senior management role) in a
non-profit or other social impact organization; familiarity with
non-profit management and best practices.
- Two or more years residence in Guatemala; deep understanding of
unique Guatemalan cultural and societal context.
WHAT WE’LL PROVIDE
- The salary range for this role is $60-80K USD, depending on
- We provide benefits of 20 paid vacation days annually,
individual international health insurance, life insurance as
offered by Asociación Alas de Guatemala to all staff.
INTERESTED? APPLY HERE!
We can’t wait to hear from you! To apply for this position,
please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com by September
WINGS is dedicated to encouraging a supportive and inclusive
culture among its workforce. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, religion,
national origin, sex, age, marital status, gender identity or
expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, family responsibilities,
disability status, protected veteran status, or any other status
protected by law.