POSITION TITLE: Director of
REPORTS TO: Regional Director
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Depending on region
may participate in supervising staff such as Associate/Assistant
Director(s) of Development and Development/Administrative
LOCATION: San Diego, CA
Grade/Class: Grade I, Exempt,
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
ADL (Anti-Defamation League)
is the leading anti-hate organization in the world. Founded in 1913
in response to an escalating climate of antisemitism and bigotry,
its essential mission hasn’t changed in more than 100 years: to
stop the defamation of the Jewish people and to secure justice and
fair treatment to all. Today, ADL continues to fight all forms of
hate with the same vigor and passion. ADL is the first call when
acts of antisemitism occur. A global leader in exposing extremism,
delivering anti-bias education, and fighting hate online, ADL’s
ultimate goal is a world in which no group or individual suffers
from bias, discrimination or hate.
ADL’s CEO and National Director, Jonathan Greenblatt—an
accomplished leader and entrepreneur in the corporate, public, and
nonprofit sectors—was recruited to the organization in July 2015.
He has injected new energy and brought a bold vision to the agency.
Under Jonathan’s leadership, ADL is transforming itself, upgrading
its capabilities, leveraging innovation, building partnerships, and
pioneering new horizons.
Develop, implement and evaluate regional fundraising programs to
successfully meet annual, designated and endowment goals
established in collaboration with the Regional Director and
approved by the National Development Office. Identify and
cultivate donors and implement targeted solicitation strategies
designed to increase the donor base and close gifts.
Plan and oversee the implementation of fundraising events and
special programs tailored to local target populations and in
support of ADL initiatives.
- Plan, organize and manage the annual fundraising campaign in
collaboration with the Regional Director and National Development
Office. Write the regional Development Plan and create the
Development budget. Monitor effectiveness of regional
fundraising efforts and evaluate programs.
- Organize and implement fundraising events, including annual
Walk Against Hate, corporate and professional dinners, parlor
meetings and special events.
- Identify, cultivate, build and solidify relationships with new
and established contributors. Analyze historic patterns of
giving and develop strategies to encourage new gifts and identify
new sources of revenue, as well as increase current
contributions. Directly solicit and close gifts from major
prospects and maintain relationships through mail, phone or
in-person contacts. Oversee direct mail campaigns.
Solicit grants as appropriate.
- Oversee the administrative support for regional development
including ensuring that donor acknowledgements are completed and
appropriate records, prospect lists and mailing lists are
- Recruit lay leaders for development committees and provide
mentoring and staff support to these committees.
- Write speeches, press releases and promotional materials for
fundraising and other regional events. Initiate and respond
to media contacts to promote an awareness of ADL events.
- Participate in programmatic events to define and enhance
- Cultivate and maintain community relationships and community
- Recruit, motivate and supervise Regional Coordinator.
- Contribute to regional management by participating in overall
regional office planning and goal setting.
- Maintain and expand corporate partnership program based on
- Participate in special assignments or projects as
representative at the National level.
- Participate in development-related functions such as marketing,
design/preparation of print materials, event logistics, and
post-event follow up based on individual skills and office
- Strong organizational, management and administrative skills
including the ability to multi-task.
- Proven ability to solicit and close financial agreements with
donors is essential.
- A sound understanding of financial reports and
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication, and
- Familiarity with excel spreadsheets, and database management
- Ability to effectively speak with corporate leaders.
- Five to seven years of community fundraising
- Experience in direct solicitation and closing gifts.
- Event planning experience.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
experience, plus additional related college
courses or professional training.
The information in this job description indicates the
general nature and level of work expected of employees in this
classification. It is not designed to contain, or be interpreted
as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities,
qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to
this job, nor is it to be interpreted as a contract for
Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with
ADL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Recruitment, hiring,
promotions and other terms, conditions and privileges of employment
shall be maintained in a manner which does not discriminate on the
basis of age, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, sex,
sexual orientation, gender expression, marital status, physical or
mental disability, veteran status, or military status, or in
violation of any applicable Federal, state or local