Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law
organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases
across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of
partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent
places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate
change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters,
individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental
issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are
guided by a passionate, ambitious vision for the future for people
and our planet: until justice stands for all, we will never
rest. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record
of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We
achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a
healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with
offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Honolulu,
New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington,
The Planned Gifts Assistant works under the supervision of the
Planned Gifts Operations Manager and is an integral part of a
growing planned gifts team. This position requires a self‐starter
who is able to work both collaboratively and independently and
possesses strong interpersonal skills. The Planned Gifts Assistant
must be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously, meet
deadlines, and be highly detail‐oriented. This position is
responsible for handling and fulfilling all incoming donor
inquiries, coordinating email and phone responses, distributing
inquiries as needed to other members of the team, ensuring that
follow up occurs and is documented in BBEC. This work requires a
donor centered orientation to responding to questions, requests for
information, and follow up.
Informed by the strategic direction of the Operations Manager,
the person in this position will ensure the regular, timely, and
accurate entry of a variety of important donor and program
information into the development database. The position will also
provide project support independently and administrative support as
needed. These responsibilities include but are not limited to
direct donor contact; complex data tracking and hygiene; writing
and copy-editing assignments; and other tasks as assigned.
The position requires frequent interaction the general public and
with staff members across the organization.
Project Management 20%
- Coordinate fulfillment of inquiries, including tracking
responses, preparing fulfillment materials, and prompting staff
In coordination with Operations Manager, perform regular and
one-off data hygiene projects in the database to assure high
quality, accurate reporting.
- In collaboration with Operations Manager, draft and submit
grant reports as needed for any estate gifts.
- Work with the Donor Marketing and Engagement team and others to
coordinate the various aspects of select events and mailings, such
as the Annual Report, victory updates, and regional and program
reports to help ensure message, strategy alignment, list accuracy
and the effective leveraging of existing materials and
- Represent the Planned Gifts team on working groups with staff
from across the Development Department to ensure the coordination
and alignment of the cross-teams activities and processes,
including onboarding and internal communications.
- Assist with the creation and maintenance of data entry and
administration process manuals.
- Assist Operations Manager with other projects as needed.
Donor Cultivation and Stewardship 20%
- Provide first line of customer service support for donors
contacting the planned gift department by mail, email and phone;
triaging as well as fulfilling information to ensure a timely
response. Serve as an ambassador of Earthjustice in these
interactions with tact, professionalism and good energy.
- Assist with the execution of donor acknowledgment letters,
proposals, and mailings, including proofreading, editing and
- Provide back-up donor contact support, including taking calls
from donors, for gift officers, as needed.
- In collaboration with Planned Gifts Individual Gift Officers,
execute discrete donor outreach campaigns for stewardship or
discovery, as needed.
Data Entry and Data Management 30%
- Ensure donor engagement information is captured in the database
in an accurate and timely fashion.
- Track incoming marketing leads in the database and ensure leads
are fulfilled in a reasonable period of time.
- Work with third-party estate administrator to track status of
estate gifts in donor database and upload proper
- Assist with the execution of mailings, including individual
proposals, broad in-house letter projects, lead fulfillment, and
other miscellaneous mailing and shipping tasks, on an ongoing basis
or as needed.
- Organize and file important donor paperwork digitally and
- Administer matching gift campaigns: evaluate the eligibility of
incoming gifts and track gift information as required by grant
- Schedule and coordinate onboarding of any new Planned Gifts
- Manage all information relating to current planned giving
donors, prospects, and estates in a manner that emphasizes the
highest standards of accuracy, timeliness, thoroughness, data
integrity and confidentiality.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Administrative Support 20%
- Provide administrative support to the Director and other
Planned Gifts staff, including assistance with travel, meetings,
scheduling and other forms of support for the wider team, as
- With guidance from the operations manager, maintain and track
expenses against project and activity costs, process all invoices,
expenses, and check requests.
- Provide primary administrative support for the Director,
including all scheduling and meeting management, employing best use
of technology, including Zoom and Microsoft Teams.
- Take notes and coordinate the agenda at team meetings.
- Support the planning and coordination of team cultivation
Research, Training and Engagement 10%
- Develop a strong working knowledge of Earthjustice’s
initiatives in order to educate and inform donors and prospects
about our mission and work/impact.
- Grow understanding of philanthropy developments and fundraising
techniques by attending meetings, conferences, and participating in
- Participate in Diversity, Equity & Inclusion and program
trainings and informational sessions to develop a deeper
understanding of Earthjustice’s values and program work.
- Serve as a member of non-fundraising organizational or
departmental working group or planning committees, as
- Complete IT security trainings and stay updated and aligned
with organization best practices.
- Bachelor’s degree or 1-2 years’ experience in administrative
work, development (fundraising) or non-profit preferred.
- Attention to detail including excellent attention to data
hygiene, strong proofreading and copy-editing skills.
- Experience with CRMs, donor databases, and an ability to
further learn database management skills. Working knowledge of
Blackbaud CRM is highly preferred.
- Capability to engage with issues creatively, strategically, and
- Strong initiative, self-motivation and flexibility; ability to
make sound judgments and work collaboratively as a member of a
successful team. Exemplary organizational skills and an ability to
develop and effectively utilize systems to coordinate large
quantities of data and details.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks, meet deadlines,
prioritize assignments, and work with grace under
- Ability to use effective interpersonal skills, discretion, and
diplomacy to work and communicate with a diverse group of people,
including donors, volunteers, the public, and staff.
- Communication skills, including demonstrated experience in
writing effective correspondence.
- Basic knowledge of current trends in charitable giving and a
willingness and ability to learn the basics of charitable gift
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint
Zoom and Microsoft Teams. Professional, positive, and approachable
- Background and/or interest in environmental issues
- An awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of
individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and
- Ability to contribute to the creation of a diverse, equitable
and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates
Salary is based on experience and location
Salary range in San Francisco, CA: $56,200 - $62,400
Interested applicants should submit the following
by September 17th, 2021:
Please reach out to email@example.com if
you are having technical difficulties submitting your application.
No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies. Earthjustice only accepts
resumes submitted for positions that are currently open.
Unsolicited resumes, or resumes for posted positions that are not
submitted via the on-line application process (where available),
will not be reviewed or retained.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership
and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of
perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain
an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment
practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment
are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race,
color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or
mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital
status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender
expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not
related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San
Francisco Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we
will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will
consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner
consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for