Director of Philanthropic Engagement
EmbraceRace supports parents, guardians, educators, and other
caregivers working to raise children who are thoughtful, informed
and brave about race so that multiracial democracy in the United
States can thrive. We identify, organize, and create the tools,
resources, discussion spaces, and networks needed to nurture
resilience in children of color; nurture inclusive, empathetic
children of all stripes; raise kids who think critically about
race; and support a movement of kid and adult racial justice
advocates for all children. Five years after our founding in 2016,
EmbraceRace is well-established as a national leader in the space
of children’s racial learning and socialization.
EmbraceRace is also at an exciting inflection point. In the
year-plus since George Floyd’s murder, we have seen an influx of
newly-urgent calls for partnership from the nonprofit,
philanthropic, and corporate sectors; rapid growth in the size of
our community; and rising calls from community members for even
more information and guidance. We have responded vigorously, but
know there is much, much more we can do. We are determined to
capitalize on our new levels of visibility and community engagement
by greatly expanding the reach of our programs and launching
powerful new tools, resources, and communities for parents,
educators and other adults in the years ahead. We are looking for a
Director of Philanthropic Engagement to help us generate the
resources that will fuel our journey.
EmbraceRace is fiscally sponsored by the Proteus Fund who
partners with foundations, advocates, and individual donors to
advance democracy, human rights, and peace.
In the midst of a broad-gauged and intensifying struggle over
the future of multiracial democracy in the United States, the
Director of Philanthropic Engagement will help shape and implement
our resource development strategy at a crucial time for the
organization. We seek a 2 self-directed, energetic leader eager to
develop and deepen relationships with individual donors,
foundations and corporate partners, someone genuinely passionate
about our racial justice mission and excited by the opportunity to
move our small-but-mighty organization to significantly higher
levels of programmatic and movement-building impact. The
position is a new one at EmbraceRace.
Director of Philanthropic Engagement
● Work with the co-directors, staff, and consultants to
determine the organization’s philanthropic priorities and develop a
plan that includes funder cultivation and relationship management
strategies, tactics, and procedures.
● Inspire and institute an organizational culture of
philanthropy, including strategizing and coordinating staff
involvement in fundraising initiatives.
● Identify prospective institutional and individual funders
based on their goals, giving histories and capacities, interests,
and other relevant data.
● Manage stewardship of secured individual and institutional
gifts and grants, including a regular schedule of donor updates,
and creating content for those updates.
● Support high-touch relationship management with key
funders/institutional partners, including the Corporate Organizing
and Advisory Board.
● Track, manage, and report fundraising/development metrics in
Salesforce and complementary donor management systems.
● Develop materials to submit to existing and prospective
donors, to include funding proposals, grant reports, and program
● Serve as a knowledgeable and enthusiastic spokesperson for
EmbraceRace with our fiscal sponsor (Proteus Fund), partners,
donors, and others.
The Director of Philanthropic Engagement will work in
partnership with our co-directors, staff, and consultants to
develop and successfully implement a fundraising strategy to reach
the sustainability goal of $1.5 million+ in annual revenue. The
ideal candidate will have:
● At least three years’ experience identifying promising
institutional and individual funders;
● Direct fundraising experience with at least two of the
following: corporate philanthropy, private foundations, and
● Ability to find the compelling fit between our mission and
priorities and those of a potential funder when they exist - and to
recognize and acknowledge when they don’t;
● Demonstrated success securing grants and gifts in the
six-figure range or higher, including experience writing grant
proposals and reports;
● Deep understanding of how to manage complex projects and
● Ability to work effectively independently and collaboratively
in a virtual environment;
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills (Spanish
proficiency a plus);
● Strong interpersonal skills - MUST find “Dad jokes”
● Proficiency using Salesforce and fundraising tools such as
WealthEngine and the Foundation Directory; and,
● Commitment to the mission and values of a progressive racial
• The salary range for this position is $80,00 - $90,000 per
• Medical and dental benefits for employee and eligible
dependents available on first day of work • Retirement savings
account (401k) with an organization contribution of 10% of annual
• Three weeks paid vacation in first year of work; four weeks in
• Fifteen sick days per year
• Three personal days per year
• Twelve paid holidays
• Professional development initiatives for growth
• Paid Family Leave
Please submit a cover letter and resume by Monday,
September 24, 2021 to email@example.com. Put
“Director of Philanthropic Engagement” in the subject line.
At EmbraceRace, we commit to building a team that reflects and
celebrates differences in our personal identities, experiences,
abilities, and skills. We believe that the more we embrace
diversities in our people, the better our work will be.
Visit us at https://www.embracerace.org