This position reports to the Board of Directors. They will
ensure that ICF is the leading charitable and philanthropic
institution, providing commitment, engagement, and partnership for
and within the Idaho communities. We are seeking a leader who lives
our values. Through philanthropic leadership, this person will
promote ICF’s culture of collaboration, which we reflect through
inclusion, responsiveness, stewardship, and enduring community
The President and Chief Executive Officer will be a visionary
executive leader who demonstrates collaboration with all levels in
the community and will inspire confidence and trust with community
partners and key stakeholders.
The Idaho Community Foundation connects Idahoans to a generous
statewide network through the power of collective giving. Our
grantmaking, community impact work and relationships with local
philanthropists have strengthened nonprofits, schools, and
communities in every Idaho county for more than 30 years. We
believe that shared philanthropy is more powerful than giving
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum 10 years of nonprofit, civic, business and/or
philanthropic leadership experience with at least five years of
experience in top leadership role
- Prior community foundation experience a plus
- Prior nonprofit experience a plus
- Prior development experience a plus
- Knowledge of Idaho and its culture and/or a desire to
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required, advanced degree a
The President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is a
self-starter who is viewed by the Board of Directors (Board), staff
and the larger community as a confident, trustful and effective
leader. They are seen as visionary and effectively promotes the
values and purposes of the foundation statewide.
- Encourages cooperation and effectively finds solutions.
- Works collaboratively with others, building teams and
empowering subordinates and community leaders to accomplish
- Generates ideas for advancing the mission of the foundation and
encourages others to build upon those ideas.
- Develops partnerships with other leading foundations in the
- Serves as the face and voice of the foundation and is
comfortable with public speaking.
- Establishes the foundation as a leader in philanthropy and
convener of communities around critical issues in Idaho.
- Actively seeks opportunities to collaborate with partners,
increase the impact of the foundation in the state, promote the
foundation and assure the ongoing growth and stability of the
- Thrives on creating enduring relationships.
- Demonstrates a record of commitment to equity, inclusion and
diversity of thought, background, and experience.
Visibility of the Foundation and Community
The CEO will provide strategic direction for communications and
marketing to highlight ICF and its impact in all Idaho
- Enhances the quantity and quality of public
- Makes personal contact with community leaders and stakeholders
in all of ICF’s regions.
- Partners with philanthropic advisors to connect with current
and prospective donors to help them fulfill their philanthropic
- Increases ICF’s visibility with professional advisors.
- Engages with ICF Regional Councils to expand and increase
- Comfortable traveling within the state up to 40% of the
Governance and Board Relationship
The CEO will effectively and regularly communicate with the
Board about the status of the foundation and progress on planned
- Organizes efficient and productive quarterly board meetings
including the preparation and timely distribution of agendas and
- Prepares and delivers regular reports of foundation activities
and issues of concern to the Board in appropriate formats (oral,
written, email, etc.)
- Identifies and effectively makes use of the expertise of Board
- Actively advises the Board chair on ways to improve the
effectiveness of the Board committees and the Board generally.
Assists the Governance committee in identifying and vetting
potential Board directors.
- Organizes and leads the development and implementation of a
strategic framework and operational plan to guide the foundation’s
- Provides the board with accurate and timely information to
assist with decision making and assists with guidance and
recommendations on procedure and policy.
- Provides for regular board educational opportunities,
appropriately assigned staff to support committee structures, and
is responsive to the needs of the board.
- Assists with recruitment of new board members and building the
list of prospective board members to ensure that the foundation has
a healthy diverse strong innovative Board.
- Serves as the primary liaison for Executive and Governance
Creates value for new and existing donors through increased
engagement and strategic philanthropic opportunities.
- Develops asset goals, strategies and a variety of philanthropic
giving tools to enhance opportunities for donors.
- Builds relationships between the foundation, donors and
prospective donors while encouraging and facilitating philanthropy
among a broad base of participants.
- Builds and maintains relationships with professional
Develops and effectively administers short- and long-range plans
and goals (work plan) with priorities that are communicated to the
- Assists in the development of a board approved budget and is
effective in controlling costs.
- Deals with human resource issues in a timely and effective
manner. Engages in a timely and effective process for hiring and
maintaining staff. Conducts annual written and oral performance
reviews of direct reports.
- Complies with foundation policies. Ensures that liability
exposures are identified and mitigated. Provides to the board
drafts for needed policy and/or bylaws changes.
- Ensures compliance with Federal, State and other laws and
- Provides oversight of new programs and initiatives and ensures
they fit the vision of the foundation.
- Oversees key areas of operations including compensation,
professional development opportunities, available benefits and
- Maintains and implements all organizational policies and
procedures for finance, investment, fund development, gifts, and
- Guides strategies adopted by Board regarding investment
strategies, asset allocation and program investing.
SKILLS AND CAPABILITIES
The CEO, through visionary leadership, will accomplish ICF
strategic goals including:
- Grow financial assets dedicated to improving the quality of
life throughout Idaho.
- Raise community Forever Idaho funds dedicated to addressing
Idaho’s diverse and changing needs.
- Secure Legacy commitments and increase Legacy Society members
to ensure a pipeline of charitable resources.
- Leverage partnerships and co-funding directed to
PHYSICAL AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is
regularly required to sit, maneuver around building, stand, kneel,
stoop, crouch, reach with hands and arms, talk and hear. Employee
will need the ability to operate general office equipment and
regularly lift and move up to 10 pounds and frequently lift and
move up to 25 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
APPLYING FOR THE POSITION
Please provide a cover letter including your salary expectations
for this position. For further information about this position
and Idaho Community Foundation please go to ICF Jobs - Idaho Community