People For the American Way is a national organization with over
one million members and supporters dedicated to defending
constitutional and civil rights and promoting the democratic values
of citizen participation, freedom of expression, freedom of
religion, and respect for diversity.
The Database Operations Manager works to advance People For’s
mission by transforming data into actionable information for
fundraising and activist outreach and will be an integral member of
a close-knit, coordinated fundraising team. The Database Operations
Manager will lead our work to integrate diverse data streams and
deliver targeted, high-value information for a complex fundraising
strategy that includes robust direct-response marketing across
mail, telemarketing, and online channels; a high-touch major gifts,
events, and foundation program; and rapidly expanding planned
This Washington, D.C. based position reports to the Director of
Development of Operations and Analytics.
· Work with development, campaigns, and digital staff to
retrieve information from the organizational membership
· Serve as liaison with outside database management vendors to
request all large file selects; internally script necessary queries
and design specialized reports on an ad-hoc basis. Develop and run
regular quality control checks of database.
· Perform regular reconciliation of donation deposits against
data entry to facilitate reconciliation with finance department
records. Review daily financial data entry performed by operation
· Work to normalize and document all standard internal
departmental procedures and all procedures implemented by outside
vendors. Supervise and document all database changes, including
source codes and data-entry procedures.
· Develop and produce weekly and monthly donor and income
reports and work with other development staff to develop and
produce timely status reports for all cultivation efforts.
· Train new development staff in use of the database and all
standard departmental procedures.
· Serve as backup when needed for all data-related duties
performed by development associates, including reviewing and
processing incoming donations and corresponding data entry.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Minimum of 3 years related work experience; nonprofit
· Familiarity with relational database with at least 2 years of
SQL experience and advanced use of Excel.· Analytical mind with a
· Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and
ability to manage multiple priorities and frequent deadlines.
· Interest or experience in development required; direct mail or
accounting experience helpful.
· Technical training/documentation and project-management
· Ability to communicate technical information to a
· Ability to work both independently and in collaboration with
· Strong commitment to PFAW’s values, issues, and campaigns,
including racial justice, protecting our democracy, defending
fundamental rights, and fighting for policies that reflect