The Assistant Director of the Oxy Fund, Leadership Giving, will
report to the Director of the Oxy Fund and work closely with the
entire Individual Giving team. In addition to routine annual giving
responsibilities, this external-facing fundraising position is
responsible for soliciting leadership-level gifts ($1,000+) for the
Oxy Fund. This driven, goal-oriented individual will concentrate
their efforts on the acquisition, renewal and increase of
leadership-level gifts, thus growing financial support of
Occidental year-over-year and strengthening the base of future
This position will manage a young alumni fundraising strategy
with the goal of driving participation and creating life-long
engagement. The Assistant Director will serve as the point person
for all strategic elements of GOLD (Graduates of the Last Decade)
giving, including young alumni fundraising events, solicitations,
stewardship, and the management of the GOLD Alumni Committee.
Leadership Giving (50%)
- Actively qualify a pool of regionally-based, rated prospects,
with an emphasis on securing unrestricted support for the College
at or above the leadership level ($1,000).
- Complete at least 10 substantive face-to-face (may be virtual)
contacts per month, with the purpose of qualifying prospects for
the Oxy Fund, Planned Giving, Major Gifts, and The Oxy Campaign For
- Identify new prospects and solicit gifts for the Oxy Fund to
build a pipeline of major donors.
- Document all personal visits, phone calls, and email contact
reports in the database. Ensure all next steps, pledges and
recommended actions are recorded and followed up on
- Track and measure progress based on established goals and
report on Leadership Gift Officer metrics throughout the fiscal
- Partner with the Associate Director of Major Gifts and Gift
Planning on the fundraising initiatives for the Jose F. Silva ‘84
Endowed Memorial Scholarship.
Young Alumni Program Management (45%)
● Develop and execute a GOLD (Graduates of the Last Decade)
engagement strategy that
encourages young alumni to support Occidental College. This
strategy will have a special focus on boosting giving
participation through a number of channels including recurring
gifts, multi-year Rev. August 2021 pledges, and stewardship via the
McMenamin Society, as well as the following programmatic
- Manage a portfolio of young alumni who have been identified as
having giving potential.Conduct discovery and cultivation visits to
determine the best strategy to deepen their relationship with Oxy.
Educate prospects about philanthropy and the importance of staying
involved with the Oxy community as alumni.
- Lead the 5- and 10-year reunion campaigns, including the
recruitment and management of the giving and planning committees,
creation of class giving goals (both dollar and participation
goals), and the building of attendance and overall enthusiasm for
- Serve as the liaison to the GOLD Committee. Support the GOLD
Co-chairs, GOLD committee members, and all committee needs.
Facilitate committee meetings, peer-to-peer outreach, and advise
GOLD members with respect to their roles as volunteer leaders.
- Manage GOLD giving for the Day For Oxy, including soliciting
challenge gifts, recruiting peer-to-peer advocates, and driving
overall GOLD giving in support of this campaign.
- Draft and execute GOLD appeals, utilizing all channels
including print, email, phone and social media. Partner with
Marketing and Communications to maximize use of all social media
platforms and increase visibility of Oxy philanthropy.
- In partnership with Alumni and Parent Engagement staff,
organize GOLD events that are accessible and compelling for a
Additional duties as assigned (5%)
● Bachelor's degree or equivalent.
● Two or more years of experience in development.
● The following qualifications are strongly preferred:
- Higher education development experience.
- Experience in initiating and securing a high volume of
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of development and
fundraising with an understanding of individual giving programs,
such as direct mail, phone-a-thons and personal solicitation
- Knowledge of Excel and CRM database management systems
● Excellent oral and written communications skills, with
demonstrated experience in personally
● Outstanding initiative, work organization and time management
● Ability to work frequent evenings and weekends; travel up to 75%
of the time.
● Ability to work effectively in a team environment—with a mix of
faculty, parents, alumni and staff colleagues.
● Excellent interpersonal skills.
● Knowledge of modern data management practices and techniques,
including models of analysis that lead to effective decision-making
on behalf of the program.
Please submit a resume and cover letter explaining how your
qualifications meet the requirements of the position.
Occidental is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully
discriminate against employees or applicants on the basis of
race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
gender expression, pregnancy, breastfeeding or related medical
condition, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age,
marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical
condition, genetic characteristic or information, military,
and veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state
or federal law.
Occidental is strongly committed to increasing the diversity of the
campus community and the
curriculum, and to fostering an inclusive, equitable, and just
environment within which students, staff, administrators, and
faculty thrive. Candidates who can contribute to this goal through
their work are encouraged to identify their strengths and
experiences in this area. Individuals advancing the
College’s strategic equity and justice goals and those from
groups whose underrepresentation in the field are particularly
encouraged to apply.
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. A
comprehensive benefits package is available that includes:
excellent health, dental, life, and retirement benefits; tuition
benefits for the employee, spouse, domestic partner, and
dependents; additional extras including use of gym
facilities and the College Library. For a detailed description
of benefits, please visit
All qualified applicants will be considered for employment,
including those with criminal histories, in a manner
consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local
laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance
Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
Occidental College is committed to working with and providing
reasonable accommodations to
applicants with qualifying disabilities. If you need a reasonable
accommodation because of a disability for any part of the
application or employment process, please contact Human Resources
As a condition of hire for a staff position and for appointment to
a faculty position, Occidental College requires that all
candidates who have received a conditional offer of employment
complete an application form (if they have not already done
so) and consent to a background check. Satisfactory completion of a
background check, along with pre-employment verifications and
references are required as a condition of employment, but only as
permitted by federal, state, and local law, including the City of
Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance