Cranbrook’s Horizons Upward Bound program is one of the oldest
and largest programs of its kind in the nation. Its mission is to
prepare students who have limited opportunities from the Detroit
Metropolitan area to enter and succeed in post-secondary
The Director of Development for Horizons-Upward Bound (HUB) is
responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive
fundraising program for HUB, including annual giving, corporate and
foundation support, major and planned giving, and special events.
This position has a critical role in the successful operation of
HUB and in meeting its financial and program goals and objectives
and those of Cranbrook Educational Community (CEC).
Responsibilities include, but are not limited
- Develop and implement a comprehensive development program for
HUB, including short- and long-term goals and strategies for all
areas of fundraising.
- Successfully direct the planning, execution, and evaluation of
the annual giving program for HUB.
- Initiate, prepare, and submit all proposals to foundations and
corporations for grant or sponsorship support for HUB’s priority
needs and financial goals.
- Work with HUB’s Director and Program Manager to successfully
meet all reporting requirements in conjunction with all foundation
and corporate grants or awards; identify new foundation and
corporate sources of funding for HUB; and provide regular
statistical reports and analyses on foundation and corporate
support as requested.
- Serve as a liaison on behalf of the Chief Advancement Officer
and HUB Director to the HUB Advisory Board and volunteer
- Collaborate with the HUB Director, the Director of Advancement
for Cranbrook Schools, and other CEC Advancement colleagues, to
successfully manage the individual major gifts program for
- Coordinate and prepare appropriate donor acknowledgement and
tax receipt letters for all HUB contributions.
- Successfully manage the donor stewardship efforts for HUB
gifts, including endowments, grants, sponsorships, Annual Fund
donations, and all other contributions to the program.
- Involve, advise, and manage volunteer participation in HUB’s
- Develop and oversee the HUB alumni relations program. Develop
and disseminate all print, electronic, and social media materials
in support of HUB’s development activities.
- Plan and implement successful special events, including
fundraisers, friend raising events, and donor stewardship
- Provide quarterly development reports and analyses to the HUB
Advisory Board or its Executive Committee, as directed.
Bachelor’s degree in appropriate field is strongly preferred,
and three to five years of fundraising experience is required. To
successfully perform the functions of this position, computer
proficiency is required, especially in Word and Excel for letter
mail merges, Power Point web-based applications, mass emails and
donor software programs for prospect contact management.
For consideration, please submit a cover letter, resume and
completed Employee Application to: Cranbrook – HR, P.O. Box 801,
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48303-0801, or fax to (248) 645-3014, or email
firstname.lastname@example.org. Our Employee Application can be
downloaded from the employment page on our website at