Reporting to the President, the Chief Advancement Officer (CAO)
is responsible for leadership and vision for donor development,
alumni relations, and foundation funding. The CAO will oversee the
functions of the Advancement Office including working with the
President to manage their portfolio of prospects, prospect research
on potential new donors, overseeing database management functions,
scholarship and endowment tracking, alumni relations, and
stewarding alumni and donors. In addition, the CAO will work with
the Special Assistant to the President on all communications to all
constituents, events planning and coordinating as well as all
The CAO will be the University President’s partner in developing
new sources of funding and identifying high-capacity donors.
Identifying potential foundation, private, and government funding
is a top priority. This will require strategic positioning of the
President to maximize fundraising success. Specific
TRAITS AND CHARACTERISTICS
The successful candidate will:
- Display entrepreneurial spirit.
- Have excellent communication and strong interpersonal skills
which are critical to the CAO’s role as a persuasive advocate for
- Be able to earn the respect of students, faculty, staff, Board
members, alumni, volunteers, donor prospects, business leaders,
government officials, and the local community.
- Demonstrate high-energy and creative vision and the courage to
Oversee the endowed scholarship program and act as liaison
between the donors and students, including providing an annual
status update to donors.
Create and implement innovative direct mailing pieces to
Assist with annual audit, including providing reports for
Finance Office and auditors for development gift records.
- Maintain presence and accessibility to the campus community and
- Expand NDNU’s donor base, increase alumni engagement, and
- Manage a portfolio of prospects and donors for the President
and assist in preparation for cultivation, solicitation, and
- Determine background, strategies, and action steps needed to
identify and develop major and new donors.
- Have experience or can demonstrate proficiency with Raiser’s
Edge and/or Raiser’s Edge NXTManage and coordinate prospect
management and donor movement.
- Develop and coordinate an effective program for recognition,
involvement, and stewardship of donors.
- Oversee the gift processing, donor records, and database
- Review changes to database for consistency and accuracy.
- Work with the Finance Office to maintain a tracking system for
endowed and restricted scholarship funds.
CAREER PATH LEADING TO THIS POSITION
Candidates will have strong experience in development positions
with demonstrated success. Solid and sustained experience in
fundraising leadership and external relations is important. The
Chief Advancement Officer will have a proven track record of
success as an advocate and spokesperson for his/her
An appropriate earned terminal or professional degree or
equivalent experience is required.
Notre Dame de Namur University offers a competitive salary and
benefits package. Relocation assistance, if needed, is
The University is an equal opportunity employer and is firmly
committed to non-discrimination in its hiring and other employment
practices and in the application of its personnel policies. In
compliance with all applicable federal and state laws, except where
a bona fide occupational qualification exists, employment decisions
will be made irrespective of the staff member's race, color,
religion, religious creed, ancestry, national origin, age (except
for minors), sex, marital status, citizenship status, military
service status, sexual orientation, medical condition
(cancer-related or genetic condition), disability and/or any
another status protected by law.