Position: Digital Fundraising and
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Director, Individual
Date Issued: September
Date Revised: N/A
Location: Washington, DC (currently
remote due to COVID-19)
Polaris is leading a data-driven social justice movement to
fight sex and labor trafficking at the massive scale of the problem
– 25 million people worldwide deprived of the freedom to choose how
they live and work.
For more than a decade, Polaris has assisted thousands of
victims and survivors through the U.S. National Human Trafficking
Hotline, helped ensure countless traffickers were held accountable
and built the largest known U.S. data set on actual trafficking
experiences. With the guidance of survivors, we use that data to
improve the way trafficking is identified, how victims and
survivors are assisted, and how communities, businesses and
governments can prevent human trafficking by transforming the
underlying inequities and oppressions that make it possible.
Polaris is looking for a motivated, organized, and passionate
Digital Fundraising and Engagement Manager to support the growth of
its individual giving program, as well as the meaningful digital
engagement of donors across the organization’s revenue streams. The
Manager serves as a key member of the Development team to support a
collaborative and cohesive fundraising environment.
The Manager manages and oversees the growth of online
fundraising programs and the digital aspects of other donor
programs, executing effective strategies and techniques in email
marketing, website promotions, and other digital channels. The
Manager will provide coordinated leadership of digital fundraising
and engagement activities, developing and implementing strategies
to support fundraising across the organization.
Online Stewardship & Cultivation Plans
· Creates and leads execution of online stewardship and
cultivation plans for donors and email subscribers, including broad
engagement emails, personalized mid-level communications,
integrated and interest-driven e-newsletters, special
announcements, event invitations, etc., to recognize donors,
communicate gratitude, and demonstrate impact of donor
· Manages copy development, email coding and setup, audience
segmentation and selection, and donation form setup for digital and
integrated fundraising campaigns, as well as digital donor
stewardship and engagement.
· Develops custom welcome series, drip campaigns, and other
automated engagement communications to improve supporter
conversion, donor retention, and lifetime value of supporters and
· Develops and implements digital fundraising advertising
campaigns. Also develops and implements engagement and conversion
strategies for advertising campaigns in which fundraising is not
the primary objective.
· Periodically deploys strategic engagement of deep-lapsed
donors for reactivation, as appropriate.
· Collaborates with team members managing high-touch donor and
supporter portfolios to produce digital engagement distributed to
many that feels personal or exclusive.
Program Analysis & Digital Testing
· Analyzes effectiveness of digital fundraising campaigns and
digital presence against organizational and industry
· Monitors and interprets program KPIs, giving statistics,
trends, successes, and outcomes, sharing results and key takeaways
with Development and Communications colleagues to optimize program
· Recommends and implements thoughtful testing and program or
campaign improvements to ensure campaign strategy and performance
goals are met.
· Manages testing plan and roadmap to optimize digital
fundraising efforts, with the aim of increasing revenue and
lifetime donor value.
· Produces ad hoc reporting to answer questions and evaluate
Digital Fundraising Collateral & Online Donation
· Oversees regular audits of digital fundraising collateral to
ensure evergreen content is continually monitored and refreshed to
ensure the best digital user experience, as well as consistency,
accuracy, and relevance of messaging.
· Creates and maintains Polaris’ digital form pages - including
donation and email sign up forms - recommending and implementing
innovations and upgrades when needed or appropriate.
· Manages workflow and production schedule of digital engagement
pieces across all teams.
· In collaboration with colleagues across departments, supports
email list growth through paid and unpaid digital efforts.
· As appropriate, creates and deploys web assets including
lightboxes and homepage heroes and updates relevant fundraising
· Manages third-party and peer-to-peer digital fundraising
programs, ensuring consistency with Polaris messaging as well as
donor data management.
· Alongside relevant colleagues, co-develops social fundraising
strategy and content that integrates with evergreen,
campaign-based, and other Development team objectives.
· In tandem with other Development colleagues, maintains list
hygiene and clean-up routines for the donor and supporter database
of record, Salesforce.
· To support a meaningful and effective donor experience with
Polaris, manages and implements SOPs to support the infrastructure
of digital engagement platform(s), as needed.
· Other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
This job description provides a summary of the major duties
and responsibilities performed by individuals in this position.
Incumbents may be asked to perform other tasks not
specifically written in this job.
· 5 years of digital fundraising, communications, or other
· Experience with at least one eCRM tool.
· Proven donor strategy and communication skills, including
experience in creating effective digital and multichannel campaigns
and writing for email, mobile, website, digital ads, and social
· Willingness to take calculated risks while maintaining focus
on and protecting the Polaris brand.
· Creative fundraising writer and content developer.
· Demonstrated experience creating, distributing, and reporting
on the performance of digital content.
· Strong communications and project management skills, including
writing and editing for donor communications and fundraising.
· Highly collaborative, organized, and
· Able to gather, distill, and communicate input to and from
· Possesses a strong understanding of digital content production
workflow processes and strong project management skills.
· Thrives in a deadline-driven environment, comfortable moving
multiple projects at various steps through the pipeline.
· Ability to maintain high standards of confidentiality and
professional integrity required.
· Commitment to the National
Human Trafficking Hotline mission and Polaris
· Familiarity with integrated email fundraising platforms and
CRMs preferred; experience with Salesforce and Springboard strongly
· HTML and CSS skills preferred.
· Google Analytics setup and reporting experience strongly
· Photoshop or other graphics software experience.
· Experience with Google paid advertising and Facebook
· Google grants management experience.
· Graphic design skills are a plus.
· Internal: Ability to communicate with supervisors and
· External: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with
vendors and technical support providers.
· Typical office setting
· Prolonged sitting, chiefly at a computer terminal;
· Occasional bending, stooping and stretching;
· Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient
to operate a computer, telephone, calculator, and other office
· Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record,
prepare, and communicate in writing, in person and by phone.
How to apply
When applying to this vacancy, please share with us 1-2
samples that you feel best represent your skill and
involvement in digital fundraising campaigns. Please use the
link below to apply.
VALUES: Polaris is grounded in a set of
values and organizational beliefs and strives to model and embody
these values in all that it does.
We work with humility and a spirit of
service. We serve a mission that is bigger than
ourselves, and we recognize that we cannot do this work alone. We
foster a caring community of mutual support, and we actively pursue
collaborations and partnerships to expand our reach.
Victims’ and survivors’ experiences ground our
efforts. We honor the dignity, agency, and resilience
of victims and survivors of slavery, both past and present. We
serve, work alongside, and stand in solidarity with those who have
been most affected by modern slavery.
We strive for inclusion and equity. We engage
different perspectives to inform our decisions, actions, and
positions. We create opportunities that empower individuals of
diverse backgrounds and circumstances. We acknowledge the
structural inequities that lead to human trafficking and modern
slavery, which drives us to create just and equitable
We approach our work with courage. We
promote a culture of inquiry, innovation, risk-taking, and
continuous learning. We are resilient and evolve when faced with
obstacles or failure. We recognize that what is typical or
traditional is not always optimal.
We create positive impact and achieve
results. We leverage and cultivate the strengths of
our staff, and we work with discipline, integrity, and a commitment
to excellence. We embrace a measurement culture to track our
progress. We view impact holistically, considering multiple sectors
and the effects on individuals’ lives, as we pursue systemic and
social change to eradicate modern slavery
Polaris designs and implements data-driven strategies to prevent
and disrupt human trafficking, and restore freedom to survivors.
Achieving this ambitious goal requires both
trafficking-specific systemic interventions and broader cultural
and structural shifts that reduce the inequities that lead to human
trafficking. While Polaris alone cannot build a more diverse, just,
equitable, and inclusive society, both the success of our work and
our organizational values require modeling in the workplace the
change we want to see in the world.
This means cultivating a workforce, organizational culture, and
priorities that respect and celebrate a dynamic, multi-disciplinary
team made up of individuals with different identities, lived
experiences, and backgrounds. Within both our team and across every
part of our work, we strive to integrate and elevate the full range
of survivor voices.
This is a living commitment. Diversity, equity, and
inclusion are values to be manifested daily, in the work we do, the
decisions we make, and the way that we treat each other and the
people we seek to serve. This means creating space where
staff can be included, heard, valued, and set up for success, and
where everyone feels empowered to bring their full, best selves to
work. We will not check boxes and consider it done. We will push
new innovations and different ways of thinking, and treasure the
community built and strengthened by each of our contributions.