ExpandED Schools is a leading afterschool organization that
advances educational equity for students from under-served
communities across New York City. Founded in 1998 with a catalytic
$125M from the Open Society Foundations, ExpandED designed the
nation’s first city-wide, publicly-funded system for afterschool
programming. Today, through advocacy, research, and program
development, ExpandED continues to build the capacity of the NYC
afterschool field to address the educational inequities that
prevent far too many students from reaching their full
Today, we continue to reimagine learning time – in school, after
school and during the summer – developing scalable and sustainable
models that provide more quality learning. Since our founding in
1998, we have reached more than one million students and trained
more than 30,000 educators and teachers. Now more than ever,
children need access to innovative, engaging ways of learning.
ExpandED is designing online programming, organizing and uniting
partners across the afterschool field, and leading the fight for
urgently-needed public funding to ensure kids from communities most
affected by COVID-19 will continue to have access to a robust
Purpose of Position:
The Vice President, Institutional Advancement, is responsible
for ExpandED Schools’ fundraising and communications functions.
This position reports to the President and CEO.
- Lead a passionate and mission-driven Institutional Advancement
team of four--Director of Institutional Giving, Development
Officer, Director of Communications, Communications and Marketing
Associate—to achieve excellence aligned with ExpandED’s mission,
strategy and objectives.
- Develop and lead strategy for raising funds from private
philanthropic institutions, corporations, and individual donors to
support ExpandED, including prospecting and nourishing
relationships ($4.4M in FY21).
- Work with staff across the organization to develop fundraising
expertise in preparing compelling proposals, reports and other
materials for their teams and prospective funders.
- Support the President in board development and serve as the
main staff representative for the Board’s Advancement
- Lead special events for donors, such as annual gala and
- Develop and communicate fundraising goals and progress for all
funds, public and private, to cheerlead efforts with team, staff,
- Support the Director of Communications to ensure effective
development and execution of organizational communications strategy
to promote ExpandED’s efforts through publications, the web and the
- Serve on the executive team, setting organizational strategy
and direction for ExpandED.
- Supervise and mentor direct reports.
- Represent the organization to funders and prospects.
- Drive ongoing efforts to improve current fundraising operations
and donor accountability by improving data collection, donor
tracking, grant reporting and maintaining the team’s budget.
- Mobilize, support, and train Board Members and other volunteers
to fundraise for the organization from a diverse, dynamic and
sophisticated donor base.
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal and communication (oral and
written) skills and a good sense of humor.
- Bachelor’s degree and more than five years management
experience or comparable experience
- Readiness to supervise leadership-level personnel.
- Demonstrated skill set and readiness to oversee and
successfully meet a multi-faceted, $4M - $5M fundraising goal.
- Deep commitment to ExpandED Schools’ vision of equitable public
education system that prepare young people for long-term success in
the 21st century economy; knowledge of K-12 public education and
- Enthusiasm for systems-building and fundraising for an
organization that does not offer direct service to children and
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
with humor and grace.
- Ability to create and implement project plans, work
independently as well as part of a team, follow through on
assignments and prioritize competing tasks.
- Attention to detail and high standards for presentation of
ExpandED Schools offers a
generous benefits package which includes:
- Full-time and eligible part-time employees receive medical,
dental and vision plans for employees and dependents, largely
subsidized by ExpandED Schools
- Health, dependent care and transit pre-tax accounts
- Employer-paid life insurance and supplemental disability
- A generous paid time off package which includes 24 vacation
days, 8 sick days, and 12 paid holidays (prorated for part-time
- 403b retirement plan with eligibility for employer contribution
of 5% of annual compensation after one year of employment (no match
- Commitment to work-life balance
- Partial tuition reimbursement offered to employees after six
months of service
- Professional development opportunities, including funds to
participate in external training and coaching opportunities
ExpandED Schools believes in the importance of being a diverse,
equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and
staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that
reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students.
At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through
creating a space for important dialogue about issues of race and
identity for our staff and students.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without
consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin,
age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or
Interested candidates should
send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org,
Subject: VP, Institutional Advancement. No faxes or phone
calls, please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will
ExpandED Schools is an Equal