Summary of Position:
This is a full-time, exempt, management position. The
Development Director is responsible for overseeing all fundraising
activities for the organization.
About The Real News
The Real News Network
(TRNN) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit news organization that makes media
connecting our viewers and readers to the movements, people, and
perspectives that are advancing the cause of a more just, equal,
and livable planet. TRNN advances a deeper understanding of the
issues, contexts, and voices behind the news headlines.
We are rigorous in our journalism and dedicated to the facts,
but unafraid to engage alongside movements for change, because we
believe journalism and media making has a critical role to play in
illuminating pathways for collective action. That’s why we make
media engaging people not as a passive audience of consumers and
spectators, but as active—or soon-to-be activated—participants in
the struggle for a better world. Our platform highlights the voices
and ideas not just of academics and pundits, but grassroots
participants in social movements for change: the people on the
frontlines of fights against injustice.
The ideal candidate for this position believes deeply in the
power of nonprofit, independent media to change the world, and is
committed to and excited by the project of securing the financial
resources that make this important work possible.
What you’ll do:
- Implement development department goals in collaboration with
senior organizational leadership, including helping meet
fundraising targets, expanding our base of foundation support, and
continuing to develop and refine our systems for donor acquisition,
management, and engagement.
- Direct a small development team, planning and allocating
resources to effectively staff and accomplish the work to meet
departmental productivity and quality goals, and leading team
members in meeting the department’s expectations for productivity,
quality, continuous improvement, and goal accomplishment.
- Plan and implement systems that perform the work and fulfill
the mission and the goals of the development department efficiently
and effectively, evaluating and improving the efficiency of
fundraising procedures to enhance speed, quality, efficiency, and
- Establish and maintain relevant controls and feedback systems
to monitor the operation of the development department, making
fundraising decisions that are financially responsible,
accountable, justifiable, and defensible in accordance with
organization policies and procedures.
- Develop the strategy and design, and manage implementation of
our online and physical mail fundraising campaigns, in
collaboration with our Membership Coordinator.
- Oversee and help implement best practices in online donor
engagement and conversion, including responsibility for our
Salesforce donor database.
- Ensure consistent fundraising messaging and visual storytelling
across all audiences, helping evolve and maintain the brand voice
and visual identity across all touchpoints, and leading the
development and refinement of all brand messages to resonate with
- Build both general and local funding strategies, and manage the
fundraising aspects of local in-person and online events.
- Participate in and oversee recruitment, cultivation, and
retention of major donors.
- Conduct grant research, help develop relationships with
foundations, write grant proposals, and assist with grant
monitoring and reporting.
- Maintain close contact with program officers from our current
and future foundation funders.
- Maintain good communication with the Executive Director, and
other contacts within and outside of the organization.
- Work with the editorial team and freelance contributors to
identify stories they need more resources to tell, and help secure
- Coordinate with hosts and studio staff to integrate effective
fundraising strategies into our content production pipeline, and
work with staff members to develop new fundraising appeals
featuring different voices from across the organization.
- Coordinate with staff and board members on creative ways to
communicate our work for fundraising purposes, and develop creative
strategies to leverage our social media presence to advance our
- Stay up to date on current trends in philanthropy, especially
for nonprofit media.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and Editor in
Chief, help advance institutional partnerships around funding for
What you’ll need to be successful:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to travel.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite and Google Workspace, and
WordPress or comparable CMS.
- Expertise in Salesforce and Mailchimp.
- Experience in team-building and small team leadership.
- Knowledge of nonprofit and/or independent media.
- Grasp of current affairs.
- Ability to understand and communicate our mission and
- A forward thinking mindset that’s up to date on important
trends and proactively brings new ideas to the table.
- An ability to see and plan for what’s coming next.
- An ability to solve complex issues in innovative
- Highly driven and proactive.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
Minimum 3 years’ experience in various aspects of fundraising,
ideally for a nonprofit independent media organization, including
cultivation of major donors, grant writing, social media, and email
and/or paper mail campaigns.
The salary for this position will be at least $75,000, and includes
generous medical benefits, PTO, and a 3% employer match into a
403(b) retirement plan. Compensation will be assessed and
potentially increased through regular performance reviews based on
Send a cover
letter and a resume/CV to email@example.com. Applications will
be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. The
Real News is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of color, people
with disabilities, women, and LGBTIQ candidates are strongly
encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and
to supporting our staff with ongoing career development