Sidwell Friends, a coeducational Quaker day school, seeks a
full-time Assistant Director of Alumni Engagement to work with the
Advancement Department, located on its DC campus. The
Assistant Director of Alumni Engagement supports the planning,
implementing, and managing of the comprehensive engagement program
for alumni. Reporting to the Director of Alumni Engagement, this
position facilitates thoughtful engagement opportunities for alumni
to connect with each other and the life of the School. Working
collaboratively to advance the goals of the department, the
Assistant Director of Alumni Engagement has a demonstrated track
record of volunteer management, event planning, creativity, and
dedication to alumni engagement best practices.
- Work with the Director of Alumni Engagement to strengthen
affinities and create engagement opportunities between alumni and
the School, including those with students, faculty, and
- Assist with and/or manage aspects of 50+ events with alumni,
including Homecoming Weekend, alumni affinity programming (example:
the Black Alumni Alliance Summit), the Let Your Life Speak Morning
at Founders Day, Alumni Holiday Parties, Summer with Friends, and
other events/programs as assigned.
- In collaboration with the Director of Alumni Engagement, build
on the strength of current alumni and parent-of-alumni programs to
create new and innovative ways to meet the personal, professional,
and intellectual needs of a diverse alumni base, ultimately
engendering philanthropic support for the School.
- Develop effective communication with the alumni community by
actively seeking to expand, correct, and maintain alumni contact
and personal information contained within the advancement
- Ensure effective tracking of engagement activity.
- Cultivate and strengthen the six regional alumni clubs located
in Washington, DC, New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Boston,
and Seattle through strategic planning, engagement with local
alumni, identification and recruitment of volunteers, and
- Manage two standing committees under the Friends Alumni Network
- Let Your Life Speak Morning Committee, in selection and
recruitment of alumni participants for the event; manage all
logistics associated with the event.
- Dehejia Internship Program Committee, in recruitment of alumni
to provide internships opportunity to current students;
additionally, engage alumni of this program.
- Manage any task forces, as assigned.
- Manage non-alumni volunteer groups:
- Parents of Alumni Steering Committee and associated POA
- Retired and Former Faculty and Staff Steering Committee and
associated RFFS events.
- Oversee the 20th, 25th, 30th, 35th, 40th and 45th year classes
for Reunion Weekend. Recruit and manage volunteers for these
classes to plan class-specific events and engage alumni via Reunion
A Bachelor’s degree is required with three to five years of
experience in alumni engagement, preferably in a higher-education
or independent school setting. The successful candidate will be a
strategic thinker who has an understanding of sustained
relationship management, fundraising, stewardship, and engagement
programming. Professionalism, discretion, creativity, willingness
to travel and work occasional irregular hours, and the ability
to deal with confidential information are vital in this role.
Skills and Abilities:
- Must be a self-motivated, highly dependable, independent worker
with the ability to effectively prioritize work and problem
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment and handle multiple
tasks simultaneously, prioritize projects to meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of fundraising principals and best practices in
- Skill in project and event management, both in-person and
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage complex,
multi-phase projects from inception to completion.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with ability to work
cooperatively and collaboratively colleagues.
- Ability to represent the School with internal and external
constituents in the community by attending events and social
gatherings as needed.