Our Senior Director of Development will direct Centrum's annual
fundraising programs, including major and annual giving from
individuals; government and private foundation grants; corporate
sponsorships; and special events. As part of the leadership team,
the Senior Director of Development contributes to the development,
improvement, and implementation of strategies, systems, and
practices that support Centrum’s mission. This position also
interacts with the Board of Directors and will attend board
meetings and finance and development committee meetings. This is a
full-time exempt position, located in beautiful Port Townsend,
Centrum offers a generous benefits package that includes
health insurance, paid holiday, sick and vacation leave, and
flexible work arrangements. Staff and members of their immediate
family may participate in Centrum workshops free of
- In cooperation with the Executive Director, plan and administer
annual operating budget for the Development Department.
- Supervise Development team including an Annual Fund Manager,
Development Associate, Development Manager, and Development
- Responsible for the management and oversight of Development
team from regular team meetings to annual performance
- Assist Human Resources with recruiting for open positions,
setting compensation levels, onboarding, and team development.
Planning and Analysis
- Create and implement annual organization development plan and
- Develop and implement fundraising strategies in keeping with
Centrum mission and goals.
- Manage and utilize Board of Directors in development
- Work collaboratively with staff to identify avenues of economic
support for programs.
- Oversee donor database (Raiser's Edge) and records
- Utilize Raiser's Edge to analyze/improve effectiveness of
individual donor identification, cultivation, solicitation, and
stewardship at all levels of giving.
Major Gifts / Annual Fund
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and utilizing
database tools, plan, develop, and execute strategies to secure
private donations; identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward major
gift prospects, always with an eye to increasing involvement and
- Direct and manage donor acquisition and renewal campaigns for
individual gifts through direct solicitations, mail, e-mail,
crowdfunding, and other methods.
- Identify and utilize resources including artist faculty, staff,
volunteers, publications, and the Internet to identify linkage,
ability, and interest of major gift prospects.
- Ensure that benefits of providing financial support are
fulfilled at all donor levels.
Special Events for Cultivation and Fundraising
- Plan and implement special events for cultivation purposes
which includes events offered as a benefit of providing financial
support, and receptions after concerts, performances, and literary
- Produce annual Gala, directing development staff and
coordinating with Board of Directors, Executive Director, Director
of Operations, and Finance Director.
Grants and Sponsorships
- Design, implement, and manage a comprehensive development plan
that expands and enhances corporate, foundation, and government
relationships and results in increased financial support.
- Develop highly competitive proposals for corporate and
foundation prospects and leverage diverse corporate and foundation
goals and preferences in conjunction with Centrum goals.
- Maintain relationships with corporate, foundation, and
government representatives, creating compelling presentations and
comprehensive fundraising proposals.
- Monitor proposal and final report deadlines, prepare and edit
proposals and final reports, and manage proposal and final report
- Manage Crescendo Interactive subscription to promote
planned giving opportunities.
- Respond to requests for planned giving information.
- Overall support of events at Centrum.
- Other duties as assigned and developed in collaboration with
the Executive Director.
- Ideal candidate will be able to articulate practical
development experience working within a system that maximizes staff
input and involvement in attaining annual goals.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Six to ten years fundraising experience, including grant
writing, corporate sponsorships and leadership experience in a
Development Department, required.
- Two years supervisory experience.
- Experience in and the ability to thrive in a deadline driven
environment while handling multiple priorities.
- Fluent in MS Office, with the willingness to engage with new
- Adept with Raiser's Edge or other online donor
- Experience and confident in building strong relationships
specifically with donor and board of directors.
- Broad knowledge of fundraising strategies and techniques.
- Strong leadership skills and work ethic.
- Excels at establishing priorities, meeting established
deadlines and goals.
- Handles confidential and sensitive situations or information
with diplomacy and tact; excels in interpersonal interactions
- Team player, adept at building teams and developing staff
- Superior writing, composing, proofing materials
- Must be willing and able to work weekends and evenings when
- Use a keyboard, complete written documents, sit for extended
periods of time in front of a computer and in meetings, operate
general office equipment.
- Ability to physically circulate in a ready response to critical
needs at events and make in-person donor calls in the
- Ability to lift 25 pounds.
Centrum, in partnership with Fort Worden State Park, is a
gathering place for artists and creative thinkers from around the
world, students of all ages and backgrounds, and audiences seeking
extraordinary cultural enrichment. Centrum promotes creative
experiences that change lives.
Located in Port Townsend, Washington, at Fort Worden—a
turn-of-the-century army base–our location offers an unmatched
combination of natural beauty and historic interest. For nearly
five decades Centrum has gathered hundreds of thousands of
individuals—great artists, creative thinkers, ardent students, and
passionate fans—who have transformed Fort Worden into a legendary
site of creative learning and interaction.
As we approach our 50th anniversary in 2023, Centrum is focused
on building its endowment fund, balance sheet, and annual fund. In
pre-pandemic years, the organization operated with an annual budget
of $4 million, 60% of which is from contributed income. Centrum is
debt-free and has a 3-month cash reserve and endowment of $1
million. Centrum enjoys a high degree of stability in its staff and
board and is now engaged in a process of developing a new five-year
strategic plan to guide its growth and development, post COVID. Our
future is motivated by creative ambition and increasing commitments
to community building, a hallmark of our legacy of
multi-generational workshops and artist residencies that are the
emblems of our core values and dedication to lifelong learning.
Submit your letter of interest along with your resume to
Centrum is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Centrum is an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate
in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion,
national origin, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age,
disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected
by federal, state, or local law.