Meals on Wheels of Central Maryland, a premiere provider of
aging services, seeks a mission driven senior development
professional to oversee development, marketing and communications
professionals for our rapidly growing organization. The
pandemic has had a profound impact on aging adults, and MOWCM
continues to actively respond and engage in equitable service to
heal our community. Our mission to enable aging and disabled adults
to live safely and independently at home throughout Central
Maryland is more important now than ever.
As a member of the Executive Team, the ideal candidate
brings a passion for the mission, knowledge of and experience in
all aspects of nonprofit fundraising and development, and a desire
to make a difference. This opportunity for an established
fundraising professional to lead a growing development team in a
well-respected organization that provides critical programs and
services should not be missed!
Meals on Wheels of Central Maryland, Inc. (MOWCM), is committed
to providing nutritious home delivered meals, personal contact and
support services to homebound, aging and disabled adults. Meals on
Wheels is more than a meal™ offering a full
continuum of nutrition, support and safety-net services that help
sustain health, promote independence, maintain economic stability,
and improve overall quality of life and help our clients remain
independent, safe and healthy at home as long as they choose to do
By helping the aging and disabled remain living independently in
their homes, Meals on Wheels supports their continued integration
into the social fabric of the community, prevents premature
institutionalization, reduces health care spending and allows aging
adults to remain in their homes and communities with dignity.
With an operating budget of $13 M per year, 116 staff and 2,000
volunteers, MOWCM delivers over 2.0 million nutritious meals per
year and offers support services to over 4,000 home-bound elderly
Marylanders each year. Each day, more than 300 Meals on Wheels
drivers and volunteers hit the road to deliver more than a
Our main headquarters, and location for this position is
in the heart of Baltimore’s Highlandtown neighborhood; a community
that is diverse, robust and thriving! For more information, visit
our website at https://www.mealsonwheelsmd.org
In partnership with the Executive Leadership Team, the
Deputy Executive Director will lead an integrated development
strategy that supports programmatic and operational priorities
across the organization and will oversee the planning,
implementation and management of all fundraising activities. S/he
will collaborate with the leadership of the organization to develop
annual fundraising goals.
This position is both externally facing, and internally
facing with responsibilities for managing the day-to-day operations
of the Development, Marketing and Communications Department and
providing leadership to a 6 member Development Team that is
responsible for raising $2.5M - $3M a year in public support
executing best practices for donor stewardship, individual giving,
major gifts, grants, and corporate giving events.
Leadership and Management
- Provides strong direction, leadership and management for the
Development, Marketing & Communications department.
- Directly supervises Annual & Institutional Giving,
Marketing & Communications.
- Takes overall responsibility for the management of department
- Works closely with Board members and supports them in their
- Effectively strengthens the organization’s overall fundraising
Operations and Administration
- Provides operational oversight of the development, marketing,
communications, fundraising, events and outreach programs, ensuring
that the development practices are conducted in a manner that
ensures optimal fulfillment of standards, in accordance with the
mission and philosophy of the organization.
- Oversees, and sets policy for, the provision of all
development, marketing, communication, outreach and event
- Develops, implements and maintains policies and procedures to
ensure optimal efficiency and compliance to development standards
throughout the organization.
- Oversees the maintenance of accurate donor records for
acknowledgement, solicitation and funding requirements, ensuring
confidentiality of donor records/information. Works with IT to
optimize technology and maintain an accurate donor database.
- Creates and implements reports to measure resource development
impact, results of giving program and return on investment.
- Oversees donor, corporation and foundation outreach efforts to
ensure that the value of the organization’s programs and services
is effectively communicated.
- Maintains communication with donors, corporations, foundations,
and affiliate organizations.
- Develops and maintains ongoing collaborative relationships
through planning and implementation of cultivation/stewardship
- Attends Board meetings and works with Executive Director on
- Collaboratively works with the Development Team to create and
implement new vehicles to tell the organization’s story.
- Stays abreast of current research and trends and assesses
community need to determine the best way to direct resource
- Works collaboratively across the organization to anticipate
industry changes and challenges and plan accordingly.
Strategic Planning and Goal Development
- Develops strategic goals and fundraising goals for the
department and works with the Executive Director, Board of
Directors, Board Committees, and management team to ensure that
strategic planning objectives and other organizational goals are
- Provides fiscal oversight for the development department,
assists in developing an annual budget and monitors adherence to
- Monitors and controls monthly revenue identifies potential
issues and identifies solutions. Assesses agency needs, and
partners with the Executive Director, finance department, and other
departments to identify new sources of funding.
- Collaborates with Finance to ensure accuracy in the recording
of donations to the organization, including grants, annual, major,
corporate, events, planned giving and audit.
- Attends Finance Committee meetings.
Skills, Attributes and Qualifications
Strong knowledge of methods and current trends in the
development industry with documented success.
- Ability to develop and maintain good working relationships with
staff, colleagues, and supervisor.
- Forward thinker who is capable of balancing short-term
fundraising needs and deadlines with steady progress toward
long-term sustainability and goals.
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience creating an
inclusive and supportive workplace culture.
- Ability to develop annual work plans, establish priorities and
- Highly efficient in time management and can meet deadlines
- Experience developing, implementing and reporting on department
budgets with ability to compile and analyze statistical data.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and
- Strong organization and planning skills and ability to
effectively manage multiple tasks.
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively
impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives.
- Confidence needed to establish credibility and respect with
high visibility audiences and individuals.
- A disciplined self-starter who can take initiative and make
judgements independently when appropriate and can also function as
a team player who productively engages with others at varying
levels of seniority within and outside of the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, development
required. Equivalent experience plus closely related degree
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Outlook, Excel, and Power Point
programs; and Raiser’s Edge database.
- Minimum eight (8) years of professional experience in a
resource development capacity in a nonprofit agency or
- Five (5) years of the above experience must have been in
administrative, supervisory, or management capacity.
- Prior knowledge of and/or relationships within the Maryland
philanthropic markets preferred.
- Evening and weekend work occasionally required.
Salary and Benefits
Our organization offers a competitive salary commensurate with
experience. We offer a generous benefits package that includes
health, dental and vision insurance, life insurance, short-term
disability insurance, 401k with company match and discretionary
contributions, mileage reimbursement, free parking and much
To apply, send resume, cover letter and salary requirements.