The Senior Director of Institutional Fundraising leads efforts
to identify, secure and steward $5-6 million annually from private
national and regional foundations and federal government agencies
in support of PRX overall and programs within its three strategic
pillars: Stories with Impact, Field Building, and Active
Leadership. The role informs, inspires, and brings together
internal partners and senior management on funding opportunities
that align with PRX and its initiatives, and its impact, with an
intentional focus on national foundations. As a leader with the
development team, the position works with the CDO, VP of Strategic
Impact, and Director of Individual Giving to help build a culture
of philanthropy at PRX.
In addition to having exceptional communication, project
management, and research skills, the Senior Director of
Institutional Fundraising needs an entrepreneurial spirit, a
strategic and flexible mindset, and the ability to quickly build
collegial relations within and outside of PRX. The position
regularly serves in cross-functional teams with PRX senior
leadership, program leaders, producers, and our finance team to
identify and develop compelling strategies, projects, and cases for
support to align with foundation and government agency interests.
The position monitors trends and changes within the corporate and
foundation funder community, anticipates future impacts and
opportunities, and regularly communicates those to internal
partners. Externally, the position plays an essential role in
cultivating and stewarding relationships with foundation staff,
including with PRX senior leadership, helping to articulate PRX’s
value and mission among our funders and
prospects. This position
can be based in Minneapolis, Boston, NYC, Chicago, or San
- Spearheads a small-but-mighty Institutional Fundraising team to
secure $5-6 million annually for PRX from philanthropic and
- Oversees a portfolio of 40+ active funders and a pipeline of
prospects, successfully building and maintaining relationships
within the funder community that result in financial support.
- Serves as an effective mentor, manager, and collaborator for
the Senior Manager of Institutional Fundraising.
- Embodies PRX’s values around openness, and its commitment to
making DEI central to PRX’s work.
- Leads the creation, implementation, and evaluation of annual
and multi-year plans and strategies to achieve PRX institutional
- Works closely with PRX CDO and VP Strategic Impact, senior
leadership, producers, program staff, finance, and others at PRX to
develop compelling cases for a project and general support from
current supporters and new prospects.
- Oversees the submission of requests for support (proposals,
letters of inquiry, concept papers) and reports on grant-supported
projects/activities to our funders and prospects.
- Builds and maintains strong, collegial relationships with
foundation staff via regular updates, both written materials and
- Mentors the Senior Manager of Institutional Fundraising,
including providing ongoing performance feedback and ongoing
coaching and support.
- Ensures grant seeking and grants administration systems are
operating effectively, including the upkeep of institutional funder
accounts and activities in Salesforce.
- Coordinates with PRX’s Resource Development team and the
Individual Giving Director to ascertain opportunities for
- Ability to synthesize complex ideas, activities, and data into
compelling projects in content, storytelling, journalism,
technology, and training.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- 8+ years knowledge of foundation fundraising, ideally for
media, the arts, communication, education or related fields.
- Preexisting knowledge of public media, podcasting, journalism,
technology, and the changing media landscape are not required but
- A background in a field that requires strong writing and
research, including not limited to the humanities, social sciences,
journalism, or communications.
- A minimum of 8 years of experience in institutional fundraising
for nonprofit organizations is required, with a strong preference
to experience with larger national media, arts, communication
- Fluency in fundraising CRM software, Salesforce preferred, and
agility in MS Office and Google Suite necessary
- Proven ability to develop foundation revenue acquisition
strategies, build grant timelines and budgets, manage multiple
projects, navigate evolving priorities, foster team engagement, and
- Demonstrated success in researching, identifying, and matching
funders’ interests with organizational programming priorities.
This position can be based in
Minneapolis, Boston, NYC, Chicago, or San Francisco.PRX
offers a competitive benefits package, including medical, dental
and vision benefits; group term life insurance; short- and
long-term disability income replacement coverage; and the option to
participate in savings accounts for uncovered medical expenses and
related costs. These benefits are available on the first day of
employment. PRX also offers a retirement plan (with employer
contributions) that takes effect after 6 months of employment.
If you are interested in this role but are feeling unsure about
applying for whatever reason, please reach out to us! We want our
organization to reflect the wide diversity of America, and the
population we tell stories with. Therefore, if you are unsure about
applying we encourage you to talk to us by emailing email@example.com. We're committed to
structuring our hiring process and company to welcome applicants of