ASAE Research Foundation supports the American Society of
Association Executives (ASAE) by advancing knowledge in association
management and nonprofit leadership. We are the “think tank” that
sponsors and conducts research, and we fundraise to support these
important programs. We define evidence-based practices that inform
crucial conversations and decision making. We provide resources
that help association professionals navigate the future and build
sustainable strategies. We amplify associations’ ability to deliver
value to their industries and professions, and the global society
Candidates must be able to work in a diverse, inclusive, and
collaborative environment where colleagues are engaged, respect and
support each other, hold themselves accountable, and celebrate
Summary of Duties
ASAE Research Foundation seeks a career development professional
with experience in fundraising operations and donor relations. This
position serves as an integral member of a three-person development
team. She/he develops strong connections with our donors, is the
operations and donor data expert, and is a strategic thinker who
helps the Research Foundation elevate our development programs to
achieve and exceed goals.
The senior manager of development operations and donor relations
reports to the director of development, and works closely with the
foundation research program team, as well as ASAE's meetings,
IT/database, finance, web, and learning teams. This is a full-time
exempt position based in Washington, DC. [Add COVID/remote working
- Oversee the accurate and timely processing of individual and
corporate pledges and gifts, sponsorship payments, and fundraising
- Manage the monthly giving program operations, and the “renewal”
process for annual fund donors and giving circle members.
- Administer year-end donor acknowledgment statements.
- Support virtual and live Research Foundation fundraising
events, including logistics coordination and day-of support.
- Ensure on-going operational efficiencies and exceptional donor
experiences through development and management of SOPs, and regular
reviews with organizational stakeholders to explore opportunities
- Track, analyze, and report on donation, sponsorship, and event
registration results against goals, and provide insights and
suggestions based on findings.
Donor Stewardship & Cultivation:
- Provide donor support, including assistance with donation
payments, giving circle inquiries, and fundraising event
- Lead donor “moves management” processes and tactics to develop
strong relationships with major donors and prospects.
- Manage donor recognition and stewardship programs.
- Work closely with the Research Foundation communications
manager on fundraising marketing campaigns, and provide support,
including the development of prospect and donor lists.
- Act as the primary liaison for the Research Foundation
Development Committee, providing volunteer support and logistical
management of committee meetings.
- Provide support for Research Foundation Board meetings.
- Facilitate volunteer-lead programs, including donor stewardship
outreach, and major donor prospect calling.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent relevant work experience.
- Minimum three-to-five years’ experience in a fundraising,
membership, or sales environment with demonstrated expertise in
operations and donor/member/customer relations.
- Fundraising experience preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft 365 Suite, including Word, Excel,
PowerPoint, Outlook, Teams, and OneDrive.
- Hands-on experience in a customer service role supporting
customers, members, or donors.
- In-depth experience working with donor/member/customer
- Knowledge of gift processing and gift acknowledgement best
- Events management experience a plus.
- Self-driven; you learn quickly and navigate changes with
- Organized; you have strong project management skills and are
adept at multitasking and prioritizing your work.
- Detail-oriented; you have keen attention to detail and take
pride in high-quality work.
- Problem-solver; you know how to tackle challenges and enjoy
looking for ways to improve processes and outcomes.
- Knowledge-seeker; you stay abreast of best practices and bring
new ideas to your work.
- Communicator: you have excellent interpersonal skills, and are
able to communicate ideas, needs, and feedback to others clearly in
writing and verbally.
- People-person; you enjoy talking with your customers and
develop a rapport easily.
- Perceptive; you quickly understand the nuances of a situation
and make sound decisions.
- Creative; you are excited by new ideas, and able to create a
vision that gets others excited about those ideas too.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
operates in a professional office environment and routinely uses
standard office equipment. This position is eligible to
participate in the work from home program.
- Ability to stand at events for long periods of time.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday
through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. EST. This position is
temporarily remote, however, upon re-opening, staff will be
required to work from the ASAE office located in downtown
Travel on average three times per year
with two-to-five-night stays.
Must be able to work
legally in the United States without sponsorship.
- Hybrid Work from Home Arrangements
- Flexible Work Hours
- Casual Dress Code
- Medical, Dental, Vision
- Prescription Plan
- Flexible Spending Account
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
- Health Savings Account
- Generous 401k Retirement Plan
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Legal and Identity Theft Plans
- Company Paid Professional Development
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Computer Purchase Program