EngenderHealth envisions a gender-equal world where all people
achieve their sexual and reproductive health and rights. We believe
this is essential for ensuring all people can achieve their full
potentials. To achieve this vision, we implement high-quality,
gender-equitable programs that advance sexual and reproductive
health and rights.
The Director of Philanthropy is responsible for developing and
implementing EngenderHealth’s program of individual giving,
including planned giving and family foundation gifts. The Director
will set short-term goals and long-term strategies to support the
organization’s growth and will lead the team to achieve those
goals. The Director will steward, solicit, and grow the
organization’s individual donor and family foundation
relationships, manage a portfolio of major gift donors and
prospects, and support the President & CEO, other Executive
Team members, and board members in managing donor
The Director will set growth targets for small, mid-level, and
major donors, as well as planned giving, and lead the achievement
of those targets. They will support and supervise the small donor
strategy, including the in-house and external mail, email, and
online programs; they will also supervise the major gifts program
and develop relationships with a portfolio of major/high potential
donors. They will develop and implement the organization’s
approaches to planned giving. They will design and lead key events
to raise EngenderHealth’s profile among our donors and
stakeholders, including an annual fundraiser and an
awareness-raising event (virtual during the COVID-19 pandemic).
Reporting to the President & CEO, the Director will work
closely with the communications team, programmatic leadership
around the world, all members of the Executive Team, and members of
the Board of Directors. The Director, Philanthropy, manages a
portfolio focused on unrestricted giving; that work complements and
is coordinated with the work of the Business Development team,
which oversees large institutional grants and awards.
EngenderHealth currently raises about $2 million per year from
individual donors, planned gifts, and family foundations, and the
Director will grow that revenue over the next 3-5 years.
Must possess the following requirements with or without
- Experience leading organizational fundraising strategies and
guiding teams/colleagues in implementing fundraising
- Proven success in creating and implementing strategic
face-to-face individual fundraising of 5- and 6-figure gifts (and
- Proven success in managing annual giving, planned giving,
direct mail programs, database management and screening, and gifts
- Understanding of planned giving instruments and first-hand
experience with garnering planned gifts.
- A Bachelor’s degree, with 10+ years of senior professional
fundraising experience at a leadership level.
- Experience with strategic use of fundraising database
- Experience and drive to increase the visibility of the
organization and our mission through exceptional
- Committed to EngenderHealth’s core organizational values of
reflection, inclusion, integrity, respect, and transformation.
- Creative, responsible, and responsive strategist.
- Strong personnel management and supervisory skills.
- Self-starter with the ability to thrive in a fast-paced,
- A growth mindset.
PREFERRED SKILLS, ABILITIES, and
- Some experience in raising funds from individual donors outside
the U.S. preferred
- Experience planning engagement events.
- Experience working with a mission-driven organization and a
global organization a plus.
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 15% of the time, as
needed, domestically and internationally.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of
work being performed by the person(s) assigned to this job. They
are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all
responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so
classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside
of their normal responsibilities as needed and assigned.