TreePeople is an environmental nonprofit organization that is
mobilizing people, business,
philanthropists, and public agencies to work together to create
green, resilient communities by
planting trees, capturing rainwater, greening schools, and
providing fun environmental
educational activities. We inspire, engage, and support the
community to increase the urban
tree canopy and address climate threats and environmental justice
in Southern California.
We are seeking a Director of Development to join our dynamic
leadership team that is
passionate about the work we perform. This role will oversee the
day-to-day operations of the
development team in the general areas of Major Gifts, Grants
(Foundation, Public Agency and
Corporate), Membership, Direct Mail, Tree Dedications, Special
Events and Legacy/Planned
Giving as well as manage technical support within the department,
including prospect research
and use of Salesforce. The position will manage the strategic and
fundraising goals of the
department and cultivate, expand, and maintain a personal portfolio
of current and prospective
donors. The Director of Development will represent the
organization’s fund development
interest to internal and external constituencies, achieve
philanthropic goals and create
opportunities to increase investments to propel the organization’s
● Participate with the CEO, Chief Financial Officer and the Board
of Directors to develop,
lead, and implement the organization’s annual and long-term
continuing to chart the organization’s course in fund development
while ensuring that
efforts are carried out in keeping with TreePeople’s values,
mission, vision, and plans.
● Research, develop and grow a balanced funding mix of donor
sources and solicitation
programs tailored to the needs of TreePeople that will enable it to
attract, retain and
● Work with the Foundation Grants Manager to identify new family
while nurturing and soliciting a personal portfolio of current and
● Provide strong fundraising leadership and support to the CEO and
including helping to identify their resource cultivation goals and
prospecting donors, and leading or participating in gift
solicitation, as appropriate.
● Support the CEO in the identification, cultivation, stewardship
and recruitment of
prospective board members and major donors.
● Manage, develop, coach, inspire, and motivate a strong
development and grants team.
● Provide general oversight of TreePeople’s development activities,
and functions of the development team, and coordinating with the
communications team, the CEO, program directors and the board
● Establish goals and metrics to evaluate implementation of
strategy and tactics, and
evaluate the overall effectiveness of the development
● Participate in revenue meetings to track progress of actual
revenues to projections and goals and make recommendations for
changes as needed.
● Coordinate ongoing annual giving and meeting annual fund
development financial goals,
including general accountability targets associated with these
● Oversee the fundraising process and ensure systematic records of
disbursements of funds.
● Collaborate with the leadership and marketing and communications
teams to ensure
consistent messaging and outreach strategies to raise awareness and
TreePeople’s vision and social impact through virtual and in-person
● Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and
trends and best
practices in philanthropy relevant to TreePeople, the Southern
California region, equity
and global climate change and adapt fundraising strategies as
● Other duties as assigned.
● Must have a minimum of 7-10 years’ experience in development with
at least five years of
● A bachelor’s degree in a job-related field is desired.
● Proven record of success with major gift and campaign fundraising
corporations, and foundations.
● Broad-based knowledge of all functions of development, including
the use of databases,
knowledge of membership and volunteer-driven organizations, and of
● Experience planning and executing department budgets and
evaluating the Return on
Investment of specific fundraising programs.
● Demonstrated ability to plan and operate strategically, to build
public support, to
strengthen infrastructure, and to develop effective programs that
investment opportunities such as a capital campaign, endowment, or
● Excellent organizational skills, including efficient handling of
deadlines, ability to
respond gracefully to quick-turnaround projects, and produce
high-quality results with
attention to detail.
● Comfortable presenting information in a compelling, informative,
and culturally relevant
manner to a variety of audience members.
● Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to handle
● Commitment to equity, environmental justice, and social
● Advanced experience with producing deliverables with Microsoft
Office 365 programs
including SharePoint, Word, Excel, Salesforce, and PowerPoint,
along with Google Suite.
TreePeople is an Equal Opportunity Employer.