The Innovation and Value
Initiative Foundation, Inc. (IVI) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit
organization advancing the science of value assessment in
healthcare. Since its creation, IVI has focused its mission on
improving the science and practice of value assessment in
healthcare. IVI is a membership organization with both organization
and individual members. Revenues for 2020 were in the $3.2 million
IVI is working to raise the level of discussion of value in
healthcare and is also working to find common ground in approaches
to measuring value through research, method development, scientific
communication, and engagement. The U.S health system is diverse,
complex, and ripe for innovation in the value space, and IVI is
uniquely positioned to challenge outdated thinking and
In support of this mission, IVI is seeking a Director of
Marketing & Communications to provide overall strategic
planning and oversight for the organization’s communications
functions. This includes leading media response and outreach,
website planning, social media strategies and goals, and multiple
scientific communication projects. This role will enforce
consistency in messaging and branding across all platforms and will
also develop a future framework for growth.
While IVI is headquartered in Bethesda, MD, it has embraced a
virtual staffing model from the start. As such, this position can
be based anywhere in the continental U.S. Currently, staff are
located throughout the country.
IVI: An Overview
Founded in late 2016 as a project by academics associated with
Precision Health Economics, IVI sought to influence health
economics and outcomes research thinkers, academics, and value
assessors through policy papers, commentary, and events that made
the case for novel approaches to value assessment methodologies. In
2018, IVI published its first Open-Source Value Project (OSVP)
model addressing Rheumatoid Arthritis, the same year that it began
to transition to a nonprofit entity. In August 2019, it was granted
501(c)(3) status, and funding transitioned from sponsorships to an
organized membership program. An initial Board of Directors was
appointed and helped establish organizational bylaws and policies.
Since then, the organization has grown further in membership, has
built out its professional staff, and has initiated collaborative
research with external research
About IVI’s Members
IVI’s membership is comprised of three groups:
- Organizational members: These are both nonprofit and for-profit
stakeholders with interest in value assessment. Sectors represented
include payers, employers, providers, technology and life sciences
organizations, researchers, foundations, academics, patients, and
- Innovators Circle members: These are organizations and
individuals that have made significant investments or founding
contributions in the mission and vision of IVI.
- Individual members: These are individual researchers,
patient/family members, or policymakers who choose to participate
as unaffiliated individuals.
About IVI’s Work
IVI’s mission is to advance the science and improve
the practice of value assessment in healthcare. In pursuit of this
goal, IVI designs, conducts, and disseminates research reflecting
- Scientific rigor: IVI uses contemporary scientific methods to
rigorously derive actionable insights directly from both clinical
and real-world evidence.
- Transparency: IVI develops open-source tools to promote
value-based decision making in healthcare. To facilitate the
evaluation and replication of its work, IVI publicly releases
research methods, assumptions, results, and external reviews.
- Patient-centricity: IVI engages patients as active participants
in value assessments. Its research attends to diversity across
patients in their clinical characteristics, preferences, and other
- Innovation: IVI examines how new treatment interventions and
government policies affect the well-being of society and its
stakeholders. IVI promotes approaches that rapidly incorporate the
latest scientific evidence in a changing healthcare landscape.
- Market-based solutions: IVI aims to promote better value-based
decision making in a decentralized marketplace, not to use
centralized authorities to mandate prices through bureaucratic
Structure of IVI
IVI is led by a nine-member Board of Directors (Board), which
sets the organization’s vision and direction and provides guidance
to the Executive Director. A nine-member Patient Advisory Council
advises the Board on matters of patient focus and transparency. A
10-member Scientific Advisory Panel helps set IVI research
priorities, steers the research agenda in collaboration with
scientific leadership, and provides guidance on ongoing research
The Director of Marketing & Communications
The Director of Marketing & Communications will report to
the IVI Executive Director and lead the development and execution
of IVI’s marketing and communications program. The director will
manage internal and external teams and have broad oversight for
setting and maintaining IVI’s messaging and branding standards.
- Lead a partnership with the Executive Director and Chief
Science Officer to develop and execute a sustainable marketing and
communications plan for the organization, including the
identification of key audiences, messages, and channels.
- Align marketing and communication efforts with the company’s
financial and branding goals.
- Directly manage the internal Scientific Communications and
- Manage relationship and set deliverables for contracted public
- Manage the communications budget and vendor contracts.
Messaging and Branding
- Partner with the Executive Director and Chief Science Officer
to develop and deploy consistent messaging across all channels and
- Develop new avenues for communicating IVI’s message and brand
- Draft press releases on IVI research and events.
- Develop Sponsorship prospectus.
- Draft policy and issue briefs on emerging issues or learnings
across IVI workstreams.
- Review, refine, and manage timelines, content, quality, and
version control on products. intended for public release, including
press releases, social media, commentaries, web content, research
briefs, and full reports.
- Conduct final review broadly with an eye for accuracy,
alignment with messaging, and consistent application of IVI’s
visual branding standards.
- Work closely with the Executive Director and Chief Science
Officer to develop and implement health policy objectives.
- Cultivate and maintain professional relationships with
government entities, public service groups, and other organizations
that help further IVI’s interests.
- Stay abreast of legislation (including pending) that would
affect policy around value assessment.
Outreach and Other Support
- Partnering with public affairs firm, develop press
releases/pitches and maintain relevant press contacts for both
earned media and commentaries.
- Partnering with colleagues, strategize ideas for and
development of content for webinars, as well as collateral
materials to support them.
- Partnering with Chief Science Officer and Director of
Scientific Communications, develop and maintain conference
attendance opportunities and evaluate and prioritize external
publication and presentation opportunities; assist with development
of presentations, as needed.
- Provide responsive support for IVI’s research projects,
membership development efforts, and fund development.
- Set goals and objectives aligned with IVIs strategy.
- Assess IVI’s current marketing and communications portfolio and
its effectiveness in supporting organizational objectives; identify
and recommend changes and additions to the program.
- Develop and maintain metrics tracking the impact of all
marketing and communications efforts. Understand the strategies and
tactics that product the best results in market.
- Leverage insights from metrics to improve IVI’s brand and reach
in the marketplace through increasingly effective marketing and
- Graduate-level degree or comparable years of experience in
- At least 5 years of experience as the leader of a
communications team or department; proven experience with
developing communication programs and overseeing their
- Experience with healthcare communications highly desired; a
background in non-profit, patient organization, or scientific
organization communications a plus.
- Experience managing a communications program budget, as well as
overseeing the work of external vendors.
- Experience developing—and ensuring consistency
with—organizational messaging and visual branding standards.
- Experience developing and tracking metrics to measure
communication program performance.
- A background in government affairs or public policy
communications highly desired.
- An entrepreneurial mindset and approach.
- A flexible, enthusiastic, efficient, and diplomatic
- A commitment to customer service, both internally and
Able to work both independently and as part of a small team.
A competitive compensation package will be offered to attract an
To apply, please send a cover letter and current résumé
(Microsoft Word® format preferred) to Sterling
Martin Associates. The cover letter should outline how your
experience fits the requirements of the position as this will be an
important factor in considering your candidacy.
IVI is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer
committed to inclusion and cultural diversity in the workplace.
Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard
to sex, race, color, age, disability, religion, national origin,
sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other protected
For more information, contact:
Sterling Martin Associates
Connecticut Avenue | Suite 1000
Washington, DC 20036
David S. Martin | Managing
Karen Lombardo | Vice President