With world attention on both the environment and the
economy, Environmental Defense Fund
(EDF) is where policymakers and business
leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science,
uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent
threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest
environmental organizations, with more than two million members and
a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy
experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22
geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You
will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results
are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds
and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we
face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We
seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect,
Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support
our Commitment to
Under the supervision of the Director, Prospect Research the
Project Manager, Prospect Research manages special projects,
including those focused on expanding our network & donor
pool, relationship mapping, and identifying prospective donors for
The Project Manager, Prospect Research is also responsible for
researching, analyzing and recommending strategy on donors and
prospective donors with Principal Gift capacity and/or those who
receive Executive level attention.
They will also partner with Principal and Major Gift Officers
and Foundation Officers on strategy and help train and mentor
Research Specialists and Associates on the team.
- Conducts reactive research and prepares briefing materials for
Executive staff for events and meetings, with emphasis on
constituents’ capacity, interests (including philanthropic
interests) and relationships
- Partners with Principal and Major Gift Officers (focusing on
- Assists Director of Prospect Research with optimizing Principal
and Major Gift portfolios
- Develops & manages special projects to expand our network
& donor pool, and leads internal processes and discussions to
ensure the assignment of newly identified prospective donors;
prospective donors will be identified through a variety of
- Program-specific and regional prospecting & mapping
- Sphere of Influence Mapping
- Identification of key populations from our wealth screening
- Helps train and mentor Research Specialists and Associates on
- Presents tutorials and leads discussions on special topics
(e.g., international research, understanding different types of
financial institutions and giving vehicles, etc.)
- Involves them with special projects (e.g., help with Sphere of
Influence mapping, etc.)
- Helps identify & acquire new sources for the Research Team
and regularly evaluates existing sources
- Assesses capacity, interests, philanthropy, and relationships
to identify and qualify new prospective donors and assesses new
opportunities with existing donors
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from
all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and
empowered to address the environmental and organizational
challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- At least 3-4 years of experience of experience in Prospect
Research, including experience with targeted Google searches,
Salesforce, LexisNexis, NOZA, Foundation Directory Online, RelSci,
and other common sources.
- Experience with Blackbaud ResearchPoint and analyzing
Securities & Exchange Commission filings and other financial
data a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to peruse large volumes of information,
find the details relevant to fundraising, present findings and
recommendations clearly, concisely and accurately a must.
- Candidate must be a self-starter, detail oriented,
well-organized, and able to plan and execute projects from
conception to completion.
- Ability to produce and manage multiple requests at one time is
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Familiarity with an environmental NGOs a plus.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and
inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders
across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal
opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are
considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national
origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information,
sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other
basis prohibited by law.