The Center for Public Integrity, a Pulitzer Prize-winning
nonprofit news organization focused on investigating inequality,
seeks a Philanthropy Specialist for a full-time, permanent
This specialist will seek out and research new fundraising
prospects for the organization, both institutional and individual.
In addition, they will ensure our senior leaders can effectively
engage with our donors and prospects, oversee our external grant
writing service, and manage our Salesforce instance.
We welcome and encourage applicants with non-traditional career
paths. If you don’t exactly meet the qualifications outlined here,
please apply and tell us how your own experiences would equip you
for the job. Public Integrity is based in Washington, D.C., but we
are working remotely under pandemic conditions, and open to remote
- Manage the donor engagement calendar, including foundations and
high net worth prospects, and organize the CEO and other senior
- Provide individual and institutional major gift prospect
research and screenings, including everything from network analysis
to strategic recommendations for proposals.
- Manage external service that drafts proposals, reports, and
supplementary material, and manages our grant application,
reporting, and renewal calendar. Manage fundraising pages and
presentations for website and print materials.
- Support setting up individual prospect meetings, as
- Enter donations into our CRM, Send thank you letters to
- Assist with other fundraising/revenue/operational activities as
needed and assigned
- Serve as an expert of the CRM system-Salesforce (SF) within the
revenue office, assist the team in its use, and ensure that all
appropriate staff utilize SF fully.
- Ensure the quality of data entered into SF. Oversee and manage
SF information and records for the philanthropy office, including
prospect and donor biographical information; pledge and gift data
entry; oversight of gift processing and recordkeeping; and gift
- Support efforts for prospect/donor portfolio management,
periodic prospect review meetings, and ensure accurate moves
- Manage the workflow around fundraising events.
- Quarterly and Annual report assistance
- Oversee and execute gifts processing and stewardship
Analytics and Data
- Develop and prepare fundraising reports.
- Coordinate with the finance department for proposal pricing and
grant financial reports.
Qualifications and Capabilities
- Enthusiastic commitment to the impact CPI aims to have on the
world -- to drive change to a more just world using investigative
reporting that reveals the causes and effects of inequality.
- Commitment to racial equity and ability to work with diverse
teams. Ability to collaborate with others and communicate
respectfully and inclusively in a diverse environment, whether
working with colleagues and partners above, below or sideways.
- Desire to wear several hats as the philanthropic and revenue
program evolves, from generating important prospect research to
setting up operational and administrative systems
- Strong business + data analysis skills
- Highly organized and able to track and manage multiple projects
simultaneously, including ability to prioritize work projects and
- Demonstrated experience in creating and monitoring a donor
- Competency with Salesforce CRM database operations or
demonstrated ability to adapt from an equivalent CRM platform
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills to analyze data and
understand its relationship to the overall fundraising
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop
productive working relationships across a wide variety of
individuals and groups, virtually and in person, inside and outside
of the organization
- Familiar with basic accounting principles and non-profit
finance are an added plus
This job is within the bargaining unit represented by the
Washington-Baltimore News Guild, CWA Local 32035, and would be
subject to a collective bargaining agreement covering the
The Center for Public Integrity is an Equal Opportunity Employer
committed to providing an inclusive work environment. Public
Integrity is committed to employment, advancement, and leadership
opportunities that ensure diversity of age, color, disability,
ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status,
national origin or ancestry, race, religion, sexual orientation,
genetic information, and/or military or veteran status.