Opportunities for a Better Tomorrow (OBT) exists to break the
cycle of poverty and inequity through education, job training, and
employment. OBT’s programs operate out of multiple locations and
serve as a bridge to economic opportunity for youth, individuals,
and families in underserved communities. OBT is funded through a
mixture of government contracts, corporate and foundation grants
and private contributions. To learn more about our work,
please visit www.obtjobs.org.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Director of
External Affairs & Strategic Communications will interact with
local, state, and federal legislative bodies and government
agencies to represent, communicate, and protect the organization’s
interests. The Director will work collaboratively with senior
leadership to develop and implement OBT’s communication strategy to
broaden overall programmatic impact, and management of
organizational messaging and constituent services.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage, build, and enrich relationships with federal, state and
local officials and their staff to lead OBT’s advocacy efforts.
- Ensure that elected officials are up to date on OBT’s program
- In partnership with OBT’s CEO, craft annual budget requests for
city and state legislatures
- Research, solicit and submit applications for City Council and
State Funding to enhance OBT’s services
- Monitor, analyze, and track state and federal legislation and
Lobby elected officials in Albany to build support for OBT’s
- Develop and implement strategies for lobbying including
coordinating meetings and preparing OBT literature and informative
- Ensure OBT’s voice is heard in local legislation related to
youth education, workforce development, labor, immigrant’s rights,
adult literacy, and economic development
- Compose and deliver testimony as appropriate
- In partnership with OBT’s CEO, sign onto letters and
participate in coalitions related to issues of importance that
align with OBT’s mission
- Track lobbying and file lobbying reports to JCOPE and
- Develop and co-lead OBT’s Youth Leadership Council
- Register contracts with NYC funding sources including DYCD
- Engage directly with elected officials and their staff to
discuss public policy issues and legislation and provide guidance
and mentorship to staff advocacy efforts.
- Develop relationships with members of the media, government and
peer networks to create new opportunities for OBT
- Stay abreast and update CEO with summaries of workforce
development, labor market and youth development modifications that
impact OBT’s mission, programs, advocacy, and strategy
- In conjunction with CEO strategize regarding actions steps
related to workforce development modifications from research
- In conjunction with the Development team, conduct internal
research on OBT’s participant community, programs and outcomes
- Conceptualize and oversee the execution of OBT’s overall
communication strategy including media outreach, digital and social
media, internal communications, fundraising efforts, events and
- Lead the development, implementation and evaluation of OBT’s
communication and marketing strategies, objectives and projects to
advance the organization’s mission and increase OBT’s visibility
amongst key stakeholders, including media, policymakers and
- Coordinate organization-wide communications and public image
efforts to differentiate OBT from other organizations to reinforce
commitment to our values.
- Collaborate with executive and senior leadership and the Board
of Directors to develop communications strategies and channels that
will broaden programmatic reach and deepen impact.
- Manage and facilitate the generation of online website, social
media, intranet and print content that engages target audiences and
advance OBT’s brand identity.
- Ensure the organization’s mission, vision, values, and DEI
values are appropriately reflected in all communications.
- Implement measurement tools and metrics to ensure that
internal/external communications efforts build meaningful
engagement and broaden OBT’s awareness and ensure they are
meeting/exceeding targets. Working with the Communications
Committee of the Board, reevaluate plans regularly to check
progress and ROI, and adjust as necessary.
Demonstrated Skills in:
- Developing and maintaining relationships with public officials
and their staffs;
- Communicating effectively with all levels of management, boards
of directors, and staff as well as external individuals and
- Analyzing and interpreting legislation and policy
- Legislative advocacy, negotiation and persuasion;
- Communicating complex concepts through oral and written
- Preparing a variety of written communications such as reports,
testimony, and factsheets.
- Planning and organization.
- Managing and coordinating special projects.
- Developing and implementing strategic plans as well as
responding to short-term objectives.
- Attention to detail and strong follow-through.
- Critical and strategic thinking.
- Event planning and management.
- Working independently, as well as with teams.
- Working with people from diverse academic, cultural and ethnic
- Utilizing computer technology for communication, data gathering
and reporting activities.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum 5 - 7 years of federal and/or state legislative,
regulatory, lobbying or political experience.
- Previous experience managing programs for federal and/or state
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with prior
experience in creating and delivering public presentations.
- Highly motivated, able to work independently and in a team
- Ability to travel 25% of the time.
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve
as a unifying force to position communications discussions at both
the strategic and tactical levels.
- Highly collaborative working style with all constituent groups,
including staff, board members, donors, program participants, and
- Self-starter, able to work independently and
- Ability to create and implement new initiatives.
- Strong commitment to the agency’s mission, purpose, and
Why You Should Join Us:
- Salary: $70k – 75k + full benefits
- Passionate and motivated staff excited to propel NYC’s youth
and adult communities
To apply with a cover letter and resume, go to: https://obtjobs.typeform.com/to/WlrBXA.
Enter position code 87R12 when prompted.
OBT values the diversity of the people it
hires and serves. Diversity at our organization means fostering a
workplace in which individual differences are recognized,
appreciated, respected and responded to in ways that fully develop
and utilize each person’s talents and strengths without regard to
race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual
orientation/affectional preference, age, national origin, marital
status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.