About A Chance In Life
We are on a mission to provide a chance in life to at-risk
children around the world.
Over the last seven decades A Chance In Life (ACIL) has uplifted
more than 40,000 children through our programs and projects in
Italy, Ethiopia, India, Colombia, Bolivia, Peru, Guatemala, Mexico
and Uganda. Through our unique model of self-government, the young
people in our programs are empowered to become self-confident,
creative and responsible participants in their communities. We
provide education, social support, mentorship, vocational training,
nutritional support, healthcare, and recreation to children, while
equipping them with the skills they need to become active,
productive, successful members of their society.
For the first time, A Chance In Life is bringing this vision of
positive youth development to the United States through our new
program in New York City – The Village.
After 76 years of providing programming to marginalized youth
around the world, A Chance In Life has launched its first US-based
program in New York City. In addition to growing this program in
2022, ACIL will continue to support its successful international
programs. As a result, the organization seeks to grow its
year-over-year revenue by 25%. ACIL is seeking a seasoned
development professional with strong interpersonal and written
communication skills to join a three-person fundraising team and
advance these fundraising efforts.
This position, reporting to the Vice President for Development
and Communications, will support this effort by providing a full
range of fundraising, communications, administrative and project
management support to the Development and Communications team.
The Development and Communications Manager will be the principal
fundraiser to support the stewardship and growth of individual
donors under $5,000. This position would be responsible for meeting
the annual budget goals of donors giving under $5,000, which will
be approximately $400,000 in 2022. Chiefly, the position will be
tasked with restructuring the existing monthly donor program, which
represents approximately $40,000 in revenue, with the goal of
increasing revenue by 20%.
Additionally, the Development and Communications Manager will
oversee production of donor-facing communications, including
monthly email correspondence on behalf of the President, quarterly
newsletters, Annual Reports, direct mail campaigns, and other
program- and campaign-specific communications and brochures.
Fluency with Mailchimp and Canva is required.
The Development and Communications Manager will also oversee all
social media channels for the organization, with an eye to
increasing visibility across platforms and identifying innovative
uses for social media.
Individual Donors & Special Events
- Lead donor prospecting, cultivation, gift securing, gratitude
and contribution recognition, and all on-going donor communications
for individual donor programs (gifts <$5,000)
- Support in maintaining warm, cordial and strategic
relationships with individual donors and Board members
- Support the Development and Communications team in developing
collateral for fundraising events and campaigns
- Coordinate production and mailing of periodic and year-end
- Provide strategic support of three annual gala dinner
- Maintain organizational website, conducting monthly screenings
for accuracy and relevancy and updating content frequently.
- Create and maintain event- and campaign specific websites
and/or donation pages to facilitate donor-designated contributions
and ticketed events
- Oversee all aspects of regularly scheduled donor-facing
organizational communications, including monthly correspondence on
behalf of the President, quarterly newsletter, Annual Report,
periodic direct mail appeals, and year-end campaigns.
- Oversee organizational brand kit and update regularly
- Manage organizational social media accounts
- Work with Executive Director and Vice President of Development
and Communications to develop beautifully branded pitch materials
to support development activity including funder decks, one pager
case studies, and other materials, as needed, to support
cultivation of major gift prospects and institutional funders
- Maintain and update relevant records and mailing lists in a
variety of CRMs (DonorPerfect, MailChimp)
- Review and improve automation processes for donor
communications (newsletter subscriptions, acknowledgments,
Skills and Competencies
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in nonprofit fundraising and
- Passion for individual donor fundraising, with responsibility
for targets and goals
- Strong written, verbal and story-telling communication skills;
experience in external communications around social impact, mission
driven, issue advocacy, and/or political organizations
- Fluency in Wordpress Web Developer required
- Experience with Canva and MailChimp required
- Experience with DonorPerfect preferred
- Experience in managing donor relationships/prior donor-facing
- Experience in rapid response fundraising
- Experience in client services or ad agency or corporate
- Experience working in an international, entrepreneurial,
fast-paced working environment
- Relationships with potential funders and donors
- Passionate about international development
This is a full time position based in New York City.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Comprehensive
insurance, voluntary retirement account with generous match,
convenient Upper East Side office location
Please send your resume and a recent writing sample (2-pages
maximum) to email@example.com.
A Chance In Life is an equal opportunity employer and does not
discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, gender
identity, national origin, citizenship status, sexual orientation,
disability, political affiliation or belief, or any other protected
class. We are committed to the principles of Equal Opportunity
Employment and are dedicated to making employment decisions based
on merit and value.