The Director of Annual Giving and Special Gifts is a key member
of the development team. She/he will have the primary
responsibility for developing and executing the strategy for a
comprehensive annual giving program to maintain and grow revenue.
Additionally, she/he will manage giving societies and strategic
programs in new donor pipeline activity to engage and elevate new
and existing donors. The director will successfully shape and
sustain initiatives that increase unrestricted support for the
hospital, taking the program to the next strategic and innovative
level, commensurate with the growth of the institution.
The director must have a keen appreciation for the fundamentals
of annual giving understanding how each fits with the overall
fund-raising program. He/she will foster best practices and ensure
that the hospital is a leader in these areas, as measured by total
dollars, total participation, percentage participation, consistency
of giving, and average gift size.
This individual must have excellent project
management/organizational skills as well as good writing and
communication capabilities. There will be a high level of
coordination of work, requiring extensive interaction with staff in
the Development department, other hospital personnel, and external
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Working with development leadership, determine annual giving
goals, and develop strategic and operational plans to take the
program to increase revenue
- Cultivate, solicit, and steward annual donors through the
careful management of all aspects of the direct-mail programs:
thematic development, budgeting and scheduling, market testing and
segmentation, internal approvals, and distribution.
- Lead new donor pipeline program for three segments of the
grateful patient population with a goal of thoughtfully introducing
the HSS Foundation and engaging in philanthropy more quickly.
- Manage planned giving society and emerging giving societies to
maintain and elevate existing donors.
- Clearly and concisely report on revenue, engagement, and other
metrics of success
- Develop strategies to upgrade donors to higher giving levels,
when appropriate, in order to ultimately populate the major gifts
- Develop relationships across the hospital with administration,
physicians, and scientists to ensure a good understanding of the
hospital’s clinical care and research priorities and how best to
integrate this information into appeal initiatives, aligned with
- In conjunction with the key members of the Development
Communications, marketing, PR, and Web teams, develop and implement
an effective social media/e-philanthropy annual giving plan that is
fully integrated with the overall department digital strategy.
- Streamline processes and procedures and apply best practices to
the overall management of the annual giving program including
outside vendors and the direct mail consultant. Employ the latest
and most effective direct mail/marketing techniques.
- Utilize marketing and communications expertise to manage
special projects, as needed, to assist with the department’s
overall marketing and communications strategy.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- A bachelor’s degree is required. An understanding of clinical
care and scientific issues and an interest in healthcare and
hospitals are preferred
- Five to seven years of direct marketing/annual giving
experience, preferably in a nonprofit setting.
COMPETENCIES AND PERSONAL
- Previous responsibility for a direct-mail program and
supervision of design/production consultants are required.
Demonstrated capability of developing and successfully managing
budgets and project costs.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and a
collaborative and team-oriented approach to getting results.
- Well organized, with the ability to manage multiple priorities
and projects on very tight deadlines. Superior at multi-tasking
with a high sense of purpose and urgency.
- Technologically savvy. Proficiency in MS Office and with
database systems, including the creation of standardized and
customized queries and reports. Experience with Raiser’s Edge,
Blackbaud, Luminate, is highly desirable.
- Collaborate with Development Communications on data analytics,
performance, and message testing.
- Excellent analytical and process skills. Capable of tracking
and monitoring data, identifying trends, and making recommendations
for improvement. A continuous improvement mindset.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills; success at cultivating strong
relationships with internal and external stakeholders and creating
- Smart, insightful, and highly creative marketing person. Sees
opportunities where others do not. “Thinks out of the box.”
- Unquestionable personal integrity. Exudes credibility and
professionalism. Very likeable and makes a positive first
- A highly confident, committed, and mature individual, with the
necessary drive and energy to respond to the demands of the
institution and work collaboratively to achieve results.