The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation seeks a Program
Associate for the Effective Philanthropy Group.
About the Foundation
The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation is a nonpartisan,
private charitable foundation that advances ideas and supports
institutions to promote a better world. For more than 50 years, it
has supported efforts to advance education for all, preserve the
environment, improve lives and livelihoods in developing countries,
promote the health and economic well-being of women, support
vibrant performing arts, and strengthen Bay Area communities. In
addition, we also make grants for special projects and to address
other timely problems, such as challenges related to cybersecurity.
Our newest program focuses on strengthening U.S. democracy. In
2020, the foundation announced a new grantmaking commitment focused
on racial justice. The Hewlett Foundation’s assets are more than
$13 billion with annual awards of grants totaling more than $450
million. More information about the Hewlett Foundation is available
About the Effective Philanthropy Group
As a member of the Effective Philanthropy Group (EPG), the
Program Associate will provide administrative and project-related
support for the Organizational Effectiveness and Philanthropy
Philanthropy Grantmaking: With a $6 million
budget, we build a stronger philanthropic sector by supporting two
main strategies: Knowledge for Better Philanthropy and Fund for
Shared Insight. We also manage a portfolio of membership grants to
philanthropic sector infrastructure organizations on behalf of the
Organizational Effectiveness (OE): We believe
that strong grantees are the engines that power the success of the
foundation’s strategies. The OE program provides $8 million in
targeted, capacity-building grants to organizations across the
foundation’s programs for strategic planning, leadership
development, and internal diversity, equity, and inclusion work,
among other needs.
For more information on the Effective Philanthropy Group, please
go to our web
page, which includes a video about our team.
- Manage grant records and grantee information in the
foundation’s grants management system, including legal and
- Communicate regularly with and respond in a timely and
courteous manner to all current and potential grantees (see Seven
Habits of Excellent Work with Grantees).
- Serve as liaison to foundation grants management, finance, and
accounting departments for grant processing, including reports and
payment schedules, and tax information on grantees.
- Coordinate foundation-wide membership grants.
- Manage the OE grants process, including reviewing proposals for
- Help train other staff on program guidelines and support staff
on good OE grantmaking practices.
- Work collaboratively with OE liaisons from each program to stay
informed of OE proposal pipeline and make potential mid-year budget
- Provide OE-related resources to program staff across the
foundation upon request.
- Conduct data analysis and research to support programs in their
General Administrative Support
- Manage travel, conference registrations, and other arrangements
- Provide calendaring and scheduling support, including
assistance setting up one-on-one and group meetings.
- Prepare consulting agreements and serve as a point of contact
for consultants; provide guidance on billing and expenses, as
- Prepare and submit program-related requests, subscriptions,
reimbursements/expense reports, and other related internal
- Provide support for strategy reviews and evaluations of our
work; participate in strategy refreshes, evaluations, and
monitoring as needed.
- Serve as EPG’s board book coordinator and prepare docket memos
and grant recommendations lists. Assist in reviewing and editing
- Provide other support, as needed, for priority projects. Lead
ad hoc research and analysis projects.
- Occasional travel to conferences and grantee site visits.
Skills and Experience:
- Strong organization and project management skills, with a track
record of consistently meeting deadlines. Keen attention to
- Ability to work with multiple managers and handle multiple
- Strong interpersonal and collaborative skills, with a collegial
spirit in sharing ideas and being willing to receive constructive
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- The highest level of personal and professional integrity and
- Excellent judgment, flexibility, good humor, and
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in the
workplace, and in the nonprofit sector.
- Excellent computer skills and strong knowledge of Microsoft
Office. Demonstrated ability to learn and understand new systems
and processes quickly.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and
work experience, and a minimum of three to five years working in
administrative or related functions.
- Interest in philanthropy, organizational development, and
effective nonprofit practices; demonstrated experience in these
areas a plus.
Physical Demands/Work Environment
The physical demands described are representative of those that
must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential
functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is
regularly required to sit for extended periods of time and to
travel via various modes of transportation for extended periods of
time. The foundation employees are currently working remotely at
least through October 2021.
Effective September 13, 2021, the foundation will require all
staff, vendors, and visitors accessing our office to be fully
vaccinated against SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19.
How to Apply
Please apply online and submit a resume and cover letter
explaining how your skills fit this position.
The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation embraces the importance
of diversity, equity, and inclusion both internally, in our hiring
process and organizational culture, and externally, in our
grantmaking and related practices. We are an equal opportunity
employer and welcome applications from people of all backgrounds,
cultures, and experiences.