ABOUT OPEN COMMUNITIES
Next year we will celebrate our 50th year. Serving individuals
and families in the North and Northwestern Chicago Suburban. area
with education, fair housing enforcement and advocacy. We know that
quality housing is a human right and fair housing is the law.
Open Communities’ mission is to educate, advocate and organize
to promote just and inclusive communities in north suburban
Chicago. We seek to eradicate housing discrimination, in all
of its forms and against all persons, because of race, color,
national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sex, sexual
orientation, disability, familial status, or source of
Our CEO will be a passionate, mission-driven, collaborative, and
visionary leader to the organization. The position is varied and
complex. Our CEO must establish and maintain relationships with
government, private and nonprofit sectors. As our leader you will
not only be a strategic organizational leader managing finances,
staff, and services but you will also serve as the face of fair
housing in the community, with the media, key stakeholders, and
donors. The CEO will take our current strong position of providing
services and leverage it to provide superior services for our
clients and stronger advocacy for fair and equitable housing in our
Under the direction of the Board of Directors, the Chief
Executive Officer is responsible for the overall administration and
management of the agency.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations and ensure overall successful
- Assure that the organization makes consistent and timely
progress in achieving its mission and programmatic impact.
- Manage, direct, and develop staff. Currently there is a direct
report of four senior staff and total of 10 staff members.
- Ensure we are staffed appropriately while delivering the
highest quality of services to our clients. Hire, supervise,
evaluate and (if necessary) terminate senior staff.
- Oversee staff management including creation and updating of job
descriptions, grievance procedures, benefits, and other human
resources issues, and assure that all employees receive regular
- Promoting a safe, positive, inclusive, respectful working
environment, free from discrimination and harassment.
- Create a position succession plans which allows for
cross-training and quick hiring and transition plans for future
- Grant and contract management that ensures compliance with
reporting requirements of all funding entities.
- Manage organizational financial projections accurately for
Board oversight. Prepare budgets and track expenses. Oversee timely
and accurate financial statements, funder and grant reports, cash
flow projections, audit and accounts receivable ensuring a monthly
- Work with the Board of Directors to achieve good governance
practices, grow financial resources, and recruit and onboard new
Fundraising and Relationship Management
- Establish strategic relationships to develop and implement
fundraising plans that secure and grow revenue-generating
partnerships with government grantors, corporate funders,
foundations and private donors.
- With support from the Development Director, design and execute
strategies to enhance annual fundraising results, building towards
unrestricted gifts, new major gift pipelines and targeted
- Provide leadership in creating and growing an individual giving
program. Solicit major gifts.
- With Development Director, participate in the grant writing
process, both private and governmental, including producing
appropriate narratives, budgets and financial reports; securing
grant renewals; and analyzing program outcomes.
Communications, Marketing and Public
- Represent the organization externally by participating in
public speaking engagements, maintaining a robust social media
presence, and regularly participating in and attending community
- Serve as a thought partner to local government, community
organization and other groups focused on fair and affordable
housing. Collaborate with local, regional and national fair
housing, social justice and other organizational engaged in our
- Oversee a consistent communications and outreach strategy that
maximizes the number of clients and donors.
- Provide regular reports to the Board that highlight
organizational strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and
- Assist in the recruitment and orientation of new Board
- A strong commitment to justice and equity as it applies to fair
housing and/or community advocacy experience.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience and progressively
responsible work in nonprofit sector or management and leadership
experience in an organization of comparable size and mission.
- Ability to earn the trust, confidence, and respect of
- A demonstrated track record of promoting diversity, equity, and
- An ability to build partnerships and collaboration with the
- Experience in staff leadership, personnel development, and
- Experience in diversifying revenue and increasing current
- Financial management including budgeting.
- High level of intelligence, intellectual curiosity, a desire to
explore new ideas and innovative approaches to solving
- Strong writing and public speaking skills.
- A graduate degree or significant experience in a related field,
including law, policy or social work.
- Experience working with a housing agency, knowledge of HUD
Programs including Testing, Enforcement, Affirmatively Furthering
Fair Housing, Education and Outreach.
- Knowledge and experience with contract compliance and reporting
requirements; investigating and filing discrimination complaints;
legal case management; working with contract attorneys.
- Experience in raising money, especially individual gifts and
- Experience in nonprofit organizations including development and
- Fluent in Spanish
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS PACKAGE
One of our core values is taking care of each other, and this
includes offering competitive salaries, benefits, paid time off,
and options for remote work for staff. Our employees have
been vaccinated against Covid 19 and this is a requirement of the
job to keep both our employees and our clients as safe as