Individual Giving and Events Manager
New York City based. Working from home currently and then
Director of Development USA
$80,000 - $90,000
Lumos is an
international children’s charity founded in 2005 by children’s
author J.K. Rowling to end the harmful practice of
institutionalisation of children. Lumos’ mission is to
fight for every child’s right to a family by transforming care
systems around the world. Our vision is for all
children to grow up in safe and loving families.
Despite clear evidence of the harms of institutionalisation, an
estimated 5.4 million children worldwide continue to live
in institutions. Separated from their families and
communities, these children are deprived of the love, attention,
and opportunities they need to thrive. We have made important
progress in closing harmful institutions and reuniting children
with their families. And where children are unable to live with
their birth families, we promote alternative family-based care,
such as kinship care and quality foster care.
Thanks to our tireless efforts alongside many other champions of
care reform, the harms of institutionalisation are now more widely
understood. A global movement is underway and the UN, the EU and
some large development agencies have joined individual countries in
pledging to change how they care for vulnerable children. We
are committed to ensuring that global policy commitments are
translated into local action, leading to sustainable change for
Over the past 15 years Lumos has worked directly in different
countries around the world to demonstrate that it is possible to
change systems of care and fulfil children’s rights. Building
on our heritage and direct experience of systems reform, our new
strategy focuses on sharing learning with others to reach more
children and amplify the impacts of our work on children’s lives.
Our new strategy for 2021-2023 has three priorities:
Building Global Expertise: We will use our
knowledge and experience to support those responsible for reforming
care systems in their own countries. This will include providing
technical support, evidence, and guidance to help design and run
better care systems, as well as learning exchanges where they can
share experiences and challenges.
Catalysing Change: We will use evidence to
motivate and press governments to reform the way they care for
children. This will involve leading targeted research and advocacy
campaigns to identify and tackle the drivers of
institutionalisation, promoting accountability by tracking and
highlighting progress, and influencing international funding,
programmes, and policy.
Demonstrating & Innovating: Building on our
heritage of successful programmes showing how care systems can be
reformed, we will use what we have learnt in the past to support
partners with their own reform efforts. Over the next two years, as
we complete our current country demonstration work in Eastern
Europe, we’ll identify programmes in new regions – building
expertise and evidence of what good care reform looks like in new
and challenging contexts, particularly for those children that
typically get left behind.
The Individual Giving and Events Manager will be an integral
part of the US fundraising team and support the global Lumos
fundraising team. The role covers fundraising activities,
communication, and donor stewardship, along with event management,
that are vital to the success of the organization, ensuring that
targets are met or exceeded, and that Lumos USA’s fundraising is
carefully coordinated with Lumos’ global strategy and
- Oversee fundraising activities for US Low - Mid-level donors
- Relationship manager of donor portfolio, responsible for
building and maintaining a healthy pipeline of prospective
- Support board members or senior staff as needed for donors at
- Design the cultivation calendar and create donor communications
with the communications team.
- Ongoing implantation of monthly donor program.
- Donor prospect research and due diligence.
- Ensuring donor data, donor meeting notes, and reports are
current in Salesforce.
- Ensure fundraising project deadlines are monitored and
- Report results to Director of Development and Director of
- Expand the donor base and increase giving among existing
- Align and adhere to global data policies.
- Responsible for donor communication, cultivation, and
stewardship plans across the fundraising team:
- Create personalized donor engagement pathways in collaboration
with Director of Development.
- Work with colleagues to prepare high-quality materials and
reports to funders.
- Develop plans, in partnership with print fundraising and
communication teams, to integrate digital efforts and offline
fundraising campaigns, targeting prospects and donors in an
effective and streamlined manner across multiple channel.
- Collaborate and manage relationships with outside vendors and
consulting agencies, to ensure final products are aligned with
organizational objectives and agreed-upon deliverables.
- Keep apprised of and utilize best practices in dynamic
- Coordinate fundraising activity with local and global
colleagues; develop and maintain excellent relationships with
colleagues in the US and at the London head office.
- Project manage, coordinate, and execute all fundraising
cultivation/solicitation/stewardship events in coordination with US
team, boards and/or external agencies.
- Project manage Lumos Global Virtual Gala:
- Manage global board needs and provide materials.
- Track revenue and expenditure projections; send weekly written
report to leadership and fundraising team.
- Provide weekly updates to Executive Leadership Team; report
progress to the fundraising committee and US board of directors as
- Coordinate across all Lumos groups and external vendors to
ensure cohesive planning
- Engage all Lumos groups and country offices in the gala,
including supporting on fundraising where appropriate.
- Create event fundraising structure to hit target.
- Create sponsorship materials including standard deck, custom
proposals, gala committee letters, and outreach language for team
- Create donor communication plan for all sponsorship, ticket,
and merchandise levels, pre and post event.
- Support fundraising team in all follow up and outreach,
including inviting and stewarding personal donor portfolio.
- Oversee contracting and due diligence for all vendors.
- Work closely with communications team and external production
partners on talent outreach, scripting, and fundraising asks during
- Support design and implementation of Virtual Tables platform,
ensuring all sponsor benefits are implemented.
- Coordinate virtual table seating with Event Producer, including
mapping out all donors, and designing secondary run of show for
- Manage organizational comp & staff tickets.
- Support with Represent merchandise store, including designs,
talent, promotion, and sales.
- Provide ad hoc support to board, leadership, external vendors
- Create robust event follow up communications plan for HNW
donors, talent, and high-level comps.
- Report on event results, including revenue, expenditure, ROI,
and social media.
- Manage US inventory of donor engagement items (Lumos-branded
materials, printed publications, etc.).
- Maintain awareness of and sensitivity to confidential nature of
prospects, donors, partners, and employees.
Experience, skills and attributes
The successful candidate must be committed to the Lumos mission.
Additional attributes include:
- Demonstrated experience expanding and managing a low to
mid-donor portfolio through the full cycle from identification,
solicitation, and cultivation.
- Track record of working with, and reporting to, boards to
- Proven ability to plan and support fundraising events both
presential and virtual with experience managing third party
- Strong planning and organizational skills with exceptional
- Proactive, self-motivated, results-driven professional who
thrives in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to prioritize and manage complex situations and deliver
to tight deadlines.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills; able to
communicate and negotiate with a wide range of people.
- Ability to organize and present data to create meaningful
messages for a variety of audiences.
- Diplomatic, analytical, trustworthy, and of the highest
personal and professional
To apply for this role
Please send a letter of application stating the skills and
approach that you would bring to the post with your CV/resume (no
photos) in strict confidence by email only to Karem Armstrong at
Please ensure that they are sent as Word documents with the
titles “your name cover letter” and “your name CV” Please put
“Lumos – Individual Giving & Events Manager” in the email
subject line. Also please let us know where you saw the post
The deadline for applications is Sunday the 7th of
Daryl Upsall International actively promotes equality,
diversity, and inclusion. In recruiting candidates, we seek
candidates with the proven skills required, irrespective of race,
gender, religion or belief, age, disability, or sexual