: Chief Financial Officer; Vice
Staff reporting to this position
: Senior Budget
Analyst; Budget Analysts (3)
: Exempt, full time;
Nonunion - Level 7
: $90,000 Summary
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Director of
Budget, Planning, and Forecasting. The Director will provide
leadership in budget development, financial planning, reporting,
analysis, grant management, and compliance. They will work closely
with team leads and development staff to prepare, monitor, and
report to all stakeholders, as well as oversee grant and
departmental budgets, forecasts, and periodic fiscal reporting. The
position requires strong technological, organizational, analytic,
and writing abilities, as well as an ability to effectively lead
and communicate with others throughout American Progress to
maintain fiscal control at all times.
The Director of Budget, Planning, and Forecasting will be driven
by American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all
Americans through bold, progressive ideas as well as strong
leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing
the conversation, but changing the country.” They will join a
dynamic team of colleagues to assist in strengthening the team’s
policy work and supporting American Progress’ five crosscutting
- Strengthening public health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Securing a sustainable climate
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust and strengthening democracy
- Prepare and coordinate the timelines and deliverables for the
midyear and annual budgeting process for review by senior finance
staff and executive leadership for presentation to the board of
directors for approval.
- In collaboration with senior finance leadership and budget
owners, design and build responsive new budget and forecasting
policies, procedures, and reporting in order to ensure timely and
accurate financial visibility for leadership.
- Act as a business adviser and technical resource to direct
reports and to team leads in formulating their budget submissions,
including resource management for each department.
- Review proposed budget submissions from department managers for
accuracy and completeness while serving as a business adviser when
- Proactively identify and propose leadership enhancements to the
budget model to senior finance staff in order to optimize planning
and forecasting accuracy.
- Prepare a monthly analysis of the budget compared with actual
results for senior finance leadership’s review and report on
significant variances for all American Progress operational
- Collaborate with the budget team to develop final consolidated
- Prepare periodic and ad hoc reports to support department and
- Function as American Progress’ resident expert in the full
utilization of investment in key finance infrastructure, including
identifying any enhancements to existing policies, procedures,
systems, and training that will contribute to a complete and
- Manage a team of budget analysts.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business, or relevant
- Eight years of budget leadership experience.
- Exceptional electronic spreadsheet construction skills.
- Proven ability to perform quantitative analysis.
- Ability to work well within a team in a fast-paced
- Comfort working under pressure and meeting multiple, tight
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and databases. Knowledge of data
visualization software is a plus.
- Attention to detail.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with ERP accounting system is a plus.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefit packages.
Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to