MISSION OF NATIONAL SKILLS COALITION
Coalition is a broad-based coalition working toward a vision
of an America that grows its economy by investing in its people, so
that every worker and every industry has the skills to compete and
prosper. We engage in organizing, advocacy and communications to
advance state and federal policies that support these goals –
polices that are based on the on-the-ground expertise of our
members and allies.
The Senior Grants Manager reports to
the Chief Development Officer (CDO) and serves as a member of NSC’s
growing Development team. The SGM, working closely with the CDO,
will coordinate the cultivation, solicitation, and deliverables for
the high volume of foundations that support NSC, as well as provide
broader development support including but not limited to donor
communications and non-grant revenue strategies. The SGM works
cross-organizationally to develop and execute grant reporting
deliverables, identify and cultivate prospective funding
opportunities, and provide program staff fundraising
Fundraising & Grant
- Strategy: Propose and implement strategies to meet ambitious
yearly grant revenue goals, expand the number and diversity of
funders, and provide sustainable funding support for the
- Prospecting: Work with the CDO and coordinate with Development
Associate to develop and implement ongoing foundation prospect
discovery and engagement. Provide recommendations on prospect
outreach and development strategy.
- Grant Writing: Work with CDO and staff to develop grant
proposals and reports. Manage proposal and report writing and
develop initial drafts after consultation with relevant staff for
review and approval.
- Project Management: Maintain grants management calendars,
including staff assignments for all phases of moves and grant
- Budgeting: Stay in constant contact with CDO and Finance team
about programmatic needs, budgetary changes, and grant spenddown
rates. Act as necessary to coordinate grant extension or
Cultivation, Stewardship & Communication
- Stewardship: Based on NSC activities, proactively keep funders
updated about report releases, actions, webinars, and event
- Reporting & Cultivation: For funders, Board and other
invested stakeholders, work with CDO and staff to develop well
written and compelling public summaries of NSC’s work and impact.
Develop and manage funder briefing calls and webinars.
- External Donor Communication: Help to develop external
pieces (written, video, etc.) that effectively capture
NSC’s mission and impact for a variety of public
- Database management including maintaining donor records,
generating reports, producing mailing lists, and pulling other
lists of information from the database.
- With CDO, develop enhanced and efficient processes in managing
grant deliverables, tracking, acknowledgements, staff engagement,
- Provide administrative support for the team.
- Help create and alter systems, processes and policies where
needed to maximize efficiency and effectiveness.
duties and responsibilities may be assigned as
To perform the job successfully, an individual should
demonstrate the following competencies:
ORGANIZATIONAL CORE COMPETENCIES
Management: Brings together every component
of a project, including resources or planning, that are needed to
complete in a timely manner.
Skills: Effectively communicate/collaborate
with colleagues and manage work.
Expertise: Demonstrated depth of knowledge
and skill in a technical area.
Awareness: Using knowledge of the
organization and the organization’s business environment to turn
data into insight.
skills: Exhibits respect and understanding
of others to maintain professional relationships.
- Problem Solving: Solves
problems while ensuring rules and directives are followed.
Skills: Ability to effectively engage and
communicate with target audiences.
- Initiative: Takes
independent action, seeks out new responsibilities, acts on
opportunities, generates new ideas, practices
- Attention to
Detail: Committed to accuracy and
excellence, looks for improvements continuously, monitors quality
levels, finds/owns/acts on quality problems.
- Minimum of five years of successful fundraising experience
working with foundations.
- Ability to translate complex reporting themes into a compelling
case for support.
- Excellent, high-quality writing and oral communications
- Demonstrated writing experience with a wide variety of
development formats and templates.
- Professional, diplomatic, and strategic in building
relationships with funders and staff.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, juggling multiple
projects and deadlines.
- Must be extremely organized, resourceful, proactive, and
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- An excellent sense of humor.
for this position is $85,000-$100,000; salary depends on relevant
experience and new staff rarely start at the top of the range.
Excellent benefits package, including employer-paid health and
dental, retirement plan, life and disability insurance and generous
Coalition is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and people of
color are strongly encouraged to apply