NPower is a national nonprofit 501(c) (3)
organization that empowers under-resourced young adults and
military veterans to pursue tech futures by teaching the digital
and professional skills demanded by the marketplace and placing our
graduates in career-track IT jobs. Our free, award-winning,
technology training programs provide in-demand certifications
within weeks, professional networking and mentorship with business
leaders, soft skills coaching, job placement assistance and an
opportunity for graduates to give back to the program via our
professional volunteer network.
NPower is deeply committed to our core values: Impact,
Commitment, Integrity, Diversity and Humility. We work together to
transform lives and strengthen communities, we are dedicated to the
success of our students, employees and stakeholders, we are
transparent, honest and ethical, we build respect, dignity,
fairness and self-esteem and we learn from mistakes and success in
equal measure. There is no endpoint to our work; we continuously
strive to reach our full potential.
The Executive Director position is a general manager role
responsible for the overall programmatic and financial success of
our work in Detroit, Michigan. Success is measured by
attaining benchmark results for the recruitment, training,
certification, paid internship placement and job placement of our
students across curricula; securing funding to maintain
program sustainability; cultivating an engaged Regional Advisory
Board; recruiting and retaining A-level staff members, building
productive partnerships with corporations, volunteers, and
nonprofits across the greater Detroit area; and contributing to the
culture, knowledge base and broader strategy of our national
Lead all NPower activities in Detroit, MI and serve as a
member of the NPower Leadership Team
- Lead the Detroit team to superior program results by
- Sourcing high quality student pool reflective of our criteria
for each class
- Driving for operational excellence and model fidelity – the
- Partnering with the Instructor Institute to ensure successful
acquisition of skills and industry certifications.
- Cultivating and building a portfolio of corporate partners to
provide volunteers, paid internships/apprenticeships, and fulltime
- Attracting and retaining A-level employee talent
- Serve has a positive “culture carrier” who demonstrates
NPower’s values every day.
- Oversee the Regional Advisory Board comprised of senior
corporate and community leaders to assist in the financial and
programmatic success of NPower in the state.
- Be a strong external ambassador for NPower, representing the
organization with local market workforce investment boards, civic
leaders, and community events.
- Provide excellent leadership for the staff including,
goal-setting, team-building, performance assessment, career
development, recruiting, and salary administration.
- Track and report best practices and relevant data to NPower
Network utilizing Salesforce tool for both programmatic outcomes
and funder/donor management.
- Work in collaboration with the regional Development Director to
identify and close corporate and private foundation grants, and
contributions from high net worth donors. Manage regional
fundraising, community and partnership events.
- Partner with VP of Strategic Partnerships to manage national
- Identify and close sources of government funding.
- Develop and manage balanced, sustainable budget for Detroit
including revenue and expense forecasting, expense control and
3-year financial planning.
- Work closely with NPower Marketing team to grow NPower brand
awareness across the greater Detroit area.
- Ensure executive reporting for regional results and compliance
with NPower policy.
- Contribute to the design of NPower’s national strategic plan
and lead its implement across Detroit.
- A sincere passion for NPower’s mission.
- At least 10+ year’s executive experience with success in
inspiring staff, delivering results under deadlines and in tightly
constrained environments, and building strong, external
- An established reputation as a strong, trustworthy leader in
the Detroit community.
- Senior fundraising or comparable sales experience, including
strong relationship building, interpersonal skills and excellent
- Equally comfortable and effective working with Fortune 500
executives, community leaders, elected officials, NPower clients
(our students) and volunteers.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and to lead
complex projects with multiple external and internal partners.
- An agile, strategic thinker who can contribute creatively and
constructively as a member of NPower’s leadership team.
- Experience working with senior-level volunteers, guiding and
directing their efforts to advance a mission.
- Excellent written communication and presentation skills.
- Positive, can-do attitude for a rapidly growing
- Is the model of grace under pressure, while maintaining a sense
- A sense of humor!
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team player with virtual
- Nonprofit experience, either as a staff leader or board
Preference given to individuals who
- Workforce development experience
- Background in the IT field
- Experience in entrepreneurial environments
- Experience developing or managing a board of senior volunteer