The Director of Major and Planned Giving works with the Chief
Development Officer (CDO), along with development leadership and
key volunteers, to set major gifts and planned giving program goals
and priorities to further strategic objectives. Paramount is the
ability of the director to elevate the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp's
individual giving to a new level of performance. The director sits
on the CDO's Senior Development Team, working collaboratively to
advance the goals of philanthropy on behalf of seriously children
and their families.
Our Director of Major and Planned Giving can expect
In addition to maintaining a portfolio and working directly with
major donors and volunteers, this position will plan, direct, and
supervise the work of the major gifts staff to develop team
portfolios and success. This individual serves as a coach, advisor,
and strategist with major gifts staff on the identification,
cultivation, solicitation, closure and stewardship of major and
planned gift donors, and functions as an essential partner in the
success of all campaigns.
This position will also oversee the planned giving program,
ensuring that the marketing, lead generation, prospecting
assignments, gift discussions and recognition programs are
well-integrated into the overall operation of philanthropy at the
Hole in the Wall Gang Camp.
Our Director of Major and Planned
Giving should have…
- Engage with the CDO, senior development leadership, and
volunteers to develop and strengthen individual relationships and
involvement with The Hole in the Wall Gang in meeting its goals and
- Oversee a comprehensive major gift and planned giving
- Develop strategies designed to identify, cultivate, and solicit
individuals capable of giving a gift of $10,000 and above in a
single year, or $50,000+ range payable over multiple years, to
support funding priorities and general operations.
- Build goals for outright and deferred gifts in conjunction with
the Senior Development Team, including annual goals, multi-year
goals, planned giving program goals and campaign goals.
- Prepare annual long-range plans and forecasts for review.
- Partner with Prospect Research & Portfolio Management to
develop processes, procedures, and analytics to ensure that a
strong pipeline of potential support is identified and
- In conjunction with Donor Relations and Stewardship, help
create and execute plans for appropriate recognition of major and
planned gift donors.
- As appropriate, work directly with the Senior Development Team
and the CDO to develop or update major gifts and planned giving
policies, procedures, and priorities.
- Participate in a range of donor activities and events that have
strategic impact on the success of individual giving and planned
giving program results.
- Facilitate productive relationships between donors, senior
administrators and other staff to solicit individuals for high-
level gifts in support of fundraising priorities, as
- Manage a portfolio of 75 individuals who are major and planned
- Model best practices for the team by developing strategies for
building successful relationships between prospects and The Hole in
the Wall Gang Camp with a goal of soliciting and closing major
- Correspond with and meet prospects, donors and their
- Travel as appropriate to fulfill duties and maintain and submit
timely reports on meetings with prospects and donors.
- Work in partnership with Donor Relations and Stewardship to
build on the existing efforts to promote the key giving societies
in ways that create a prominent presence of our core donors in
- Coordinate with the CDO to manage documentation and compliance
of pledges, estate-related commitments, and gift acceptance
- Ensure that the giving program continues to adhere to best
practices in philanthropy with long term strategy and meaningful
relationship building at the core of Hole in the Wall Gang's
- Review monthly, quarterly and annual reports that include
measurable targets for the major gifts team that demonstrate
productivity related to meetings, stewardship activity,
solicitations made, new commitments and dollars raised within each
- Work in conjunction with staff to conduct annual strategy and
goal setting, including setting measurable, meaningful and
appropriate targets for individual staff members.
- Ensure timely completion of proposals, pledge commitment
documents, documentation of individual prospect strategies,
stewardship plans and qualification efforts. Include results of
progress in reviews of direct reports.
- Oversee marketing of planned gifts from concept to production
and in partnership with planned giving management, Crescendo, and
the Communications Team; integrate annual strategy and goal setting
for individual staff.
- Provide leadership and supervision for the major gifts team
including training and development that aligns with institutional
- Provide guidance and support to major gift staff in developing
strategies for donor engagement.
- Create and cultivate a work environment that celebrates
diversity and promotes equity and inclusion.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- Strong major and planned gift fundraising experience with
demonstrated ability to manage donor relationships and successfully
solicit six and seven figure gifts.
- Thorough knowledge of financial vehicles and techniques used in
estate planning and creation of tax-advantage philanthropic
- Proven track record of successful solicitation and service in
creating deferred gifts and in working with legal and professional
counsel on tax and estate issues.
- The ability to establish positive relationships with a variety
of people in multicultural environments.
- Campaign and annual giving experience preferred.
- Strong computer skills and familiarity with CRM's related to
- A demonstrated skill in successfully coaching, training and
leading staff and volunteers with a compassionate, clear and
decisive leadership and management style.
- Self-motivation, a results-oriented style, and an ability to
set priorities and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, analytical, verbal and
written communication skills and the ability to plan, create and
market a strategic deferred gift program.
- Energy, enthusiasm and the ability to work both independently
and productively in a fast paced, team-oriented department.
- The highest ethical standards, an entrepreneurial spirit and
- A willingness and ability to travel and work some evenings and
- Full vaccination against COVID-19
***Remote work allowed.
Proximity to a regional office considered***