This position is responsible for charting the next phase of
growth for the Development team’s data and operation functions.
Over the past year, the National Trust onboarded a new CRM/eCRM
(Revolution Online). The Senior Director will play a critical role
in ensuring the Development Team and the entire organization
maximize the full functionality of the CRM and eCRM. We
are looking for someone who is innovative and passionate about the
ways in which data can increase revenue and efficiency and is an
excellent communicator and motivating leader.
The Senior Director plays a key role in increasing major and
annual giving by overseeing teams responsible for identifying and
researching prospects for major gifts, analyzing opportunities for
increased revenue performance, using data visualization to track
and report progress, and creating an infrastructure for the CRM and
eCRM including pipeline development. He/she/they is responsible for
ensuring that all teams are equipped with the information necessary
to drive the greatest financial yield possible from the CRM and
eCRM. This position advances the business intelligence of the
organization by ensuring that actionable and influential research
is provided on donors and prospects, while also reporting and
offering analytics that capture activities and outcomes directed at
prospects, members and donors at all levels across the
organization. In this role, the Senior Director will maintain the
highest standards of data integrity, enforce best practices, ensure
data hygiene and assess, outline, and maintain standard operating
procedures (SOPs) through a comprehensive data governance plan.
This position provides benchmarks and insights to the National
Trust’s leadership, keeps the organization current with best
practices, and achieves high levels of accuracy and
- Leads all aspects of the Data and Operations Department,
including decisions regarding strategic direction, hiring/firing,
staffing, budgeting, professional development, performance
management, team management and cross-departmental and
cross-divisional relationships. The department includes teams
focused on donor prospect research, database administration, and
donor business management.
- Oversees strategic direction of all aspects of prospect
research, data management and operations in alignment with the
Trust’s funding priorities, with a focus on internal client
service, maximizing operational effectiveness, and high data
quality. Ensures data management processes and policies are well
documented and understood by staff. Evaluates, adjusts, and
maintains protocols that ensure a smoothly functioning Development
- Plans, organizes, and directs strategies to address long-range
and short-term systems and data analytic needs to support National
Trust goals and objectives and fulfill fundraising and constituent
- Collaborates in the preparation of strategic plans, including
systems and analytic framework that supports National Trust
- Manages initiatives that impact business outcomes through
business intelligence, data warehousing, reporting and analytics
- Ensures continued training on and ongoing maintenance of the
CRM/eCRM software system for all users, including the major giving,
annual giving, and other teams. Leads technical system design,
configuration, and updates to the fundraising, membership, and
- Directs philanthropic research efforts to build and maintain a
robust pool of donors, prospects, and trustee candidates in order
to support frontline fundraising activities.
- Enables data-driven decision making by evaluating and
implementing a data governance plan with the approval of the Chief
- Oversees querying/reporting and conduct analytics, such as
datamining and modeling, to facilitate greater engagement with a
broader and more culturally diverse donor and prospect pool.
- Proactively exercises independent judgment to determine how
best to utilize the database to provide accurate information for
the formation and execution of Development strategies.
- Develops and streamlines business processes, makes
recommendations to optimize resources. Develops and implements
short and long-range plans to sustain and improve fundraising
system infrastructure. Works with software vendors and IT
department on maintenance and upgrades. Participates in program and
campaign readiness assessments.
- Leads and directs day-to-day administration, auditing, and
support of databases and database activities, ensuring the accuracy
of information input into the database, as well as the timely and
accurate creation and modification of database reports in response
- Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner. Defines
user requirements on an ongoing basis and perform appropriate
system analysis to determine effective solutions.
- Provides regular reporting for line-managers, senior
management, and executive staff. Proactively recommends and
produces analyses of trends in pledge and gift data.
- Reconciles gift and pledge amounts in the database with figures
from the Accounting department’s reports.
- Proactively provides technical advice and advanced targeted
training to managers and staff regarding the CRM System and
industry technologies that keep them current with the latest
- Monitors and improves accuracy and integrity of data by
establishing and executing a data audit and append schedule.
Identifies areas within fundraising infrastructure where data
cleaning and normalization are needed.
- Safeguards the confidentiality of constituent records, adhering
to the Donor’s Bill of Rights and the Association of Professional
Researchers for Advancement (APRA) Code of Ethics.
- Serves as a technical resource and partners with senior
leadership and peer management to ensure proper planning to address
data delivery and reporting requests.
- Develops and maintains reports and analytical tools for
fundraising performance indicator tracking and strategic
- Provides support to the Chief Development Officer in developing
annual revenue targets, multi-year forecasts and budgets.
PAY & BENEFITS
- At least 15 years of overall experience, including experience
in fundraising operations, donor database, analytics
- At least 8 years of experience with budgeting, supervising
professionals, and leading teams to generate high quality
- At least 8 years of experience managing large, cross-functional
projects and teams.
- Experience with major fundraising database systems such as
Revolution Online (ROI) or Raiser’s Edge (ROI experience
preferred). Experience implementing results of electronic donor
screening and segmenting initiatives.
- Familiarity with relational databases and ability to design
reports from databases, including but not limited to Crystal, SQL
and data visualization tools.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills, including issue
identification and prioritization.
- Ability to develop and execute short- and long-term plans,
including the establishment of goals and outcome measures.
- Dependability essential, with a strong sense of urgency and
- Advanced project management, team management, and client
- Experience supervising professional staff as both direct and
indirect reports, as well as successfully managing key internal and
external stakeholders and relationships.
- Proven ability to collaborate across divisions to implement
processes and achieve results.
- Track record of building and maintaining productive
relationships with multiple stakeholders.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task efficiently and respond to a
high volume of ongoing requests in a timely fashion.
- Proven ability to continually develop skills related to use of
rapidly changing technology and communications best practices.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the
ability to communicate plans and outcomes at all levels of the
organization. Ability to communicate with staff at remote locations
- Entrepreneurial spirit and skill set essential.
- Effective presentation skills, with ability to lead internal
- Knowledge of current trends in fundraising (including
benchmarking and metrics).
- Ability to adapt and be flexible in a dynamic work
- Demonstrated success in collaborating with and engaging
culturally diverse colleagues and partners.
- Strong knowledge of IRS regulations regarding charitable
- Ability to achieve results with minimal supervision.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel required in
addition to the database and systems experience listed above.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
This is a full-time,
exempt level position, eligible for full benefits, including
health, dental and life insurance, retirement benefits, and 3+
weeks of vacation, plus sick time and holidays. Due to the
COVID-19 pandemic, this and most other National Trust positions at
our DC headquarters will continue to work remotely for the
foreseeable future (currently projected through December
2021). The National Trust has recently implemented a
policy requiring all staff to show proof of vaccination by October
31 or by hire date for new employees (with limited exceptions for
religious or medical reasons, subject to conditions such as weekly
testing). Hiring Range: $115,000 - $132,00 per