Who We Are
The Hispanic Federation (HF) is the nation's premier Latino
nonprofit membership organization. Founded in 1990, HF supports
Hispanic families and strengthens Latino institutions through
grantmaking and direct services in the areas of education, health,
immigration, civic engagement, economic empowerment, and the
environment. Values that drive our work include equality, fairness,
diversity, and empathy.
Who We Seek
Hispanic Federation is seeking an ambitious and talented write
to serve as the Government Grant Writer for Federal, state, and
local grants. The Government Grant Writer plays a key role in the
team as it works to expand our government grants portfolio to
support the mission, programs, and policy advocacy work of Hispanic
The successful candidate has experience in all aspects of
Federal government grants program and budget development, is a
persuasive grant writer, and has a strategic understanding of the
Federal government grants ecosystem, including how government grant
making and contracting works. They must also be a detail-oriented
individual with a strong work ethic. The candidate will be
responsible for working with internal and external parties to
organize the various components of HF’s government grant requests
to reach organizational goals.
Position Location: New York City or
Reports to: Vice President for
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Draft grant proposals and secure supporting documents based on
the requirements of the granting government agency.
- Prospect and recommend government grants (local, state, and
federal) aligned with HF’s mission and in support of current and
planned programs; present findings to development and program
leadership for assessment.
- Determine proposal concept by identifying and clarifying
opportunities and needs, studying requests for proposals, and
coordinating or attending meetings with HF program teams.
- Provide a clear framework for grant reporting and ensure
programs and relevant staff are aware of data required, outlined
deliverables, and reporting deadlines.
- Prepare structures to ensure all stakeholders can provide
information, and allow for writing, draft review, approval, and
- Serve as the main contract for internal and external queries on
drafted and submitted proposals.
- Maintain positive relationships with program staff, grant
officers, and other stakeholders.
- Prepare materials in the institutional voice and provide
boilerplate language to streamline how HF speaks of its programs to
- Maintain records and submit reports related to grant
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of three years government grant
writing experience, with experience working in a multi-service
organization a plus.
- Proven track record of achieving revenue targets annually
primarily from government sources.
- Strong understanding of Latino and social justice issues, or
ability to learn.
- Ability to work well under pressure, synthesizing information
in a compelling and succinct form for contract officers and other
- Strong background in research, organizational and
communications skills with demonstrated ability to write and
present clearly and persuasively.
- High energy, positive, “can-do” attitude, flexibility,
teamwork, and attention to detail; high degree of initiative.
- Ability to develop and manage budgets and prepare financial
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite programs and Google.com
- Ability to communicate in Spanish is an asset
Please submit a résumé, cover letter detailing your interest and
qualifications and at least (2) writing samples via e-mail to
with “Government Grant Writer” in the subject line. No
telephone calls and only selected candidates will be contacted.
The salary range for this position if $55,000 - $65,000 and is
commensurate with experience. Compensation includes a benefits
package with medical, dental, vision and a 403 (B) retirement
Hispanic Federation is an equal opportunity employer and does
not discriminate against actual or perceived race, color, religion,
gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, creed,
disability, marital status, sexual orientation and/or other