The Kapor family of organizations (The Kapor Center, SMASH and Kapor Capital) works to
remove barriers to Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM)
education and tech careers for underrepresented people of color. We
take a comprehensive approach to fixing the leaks at every stage of
the tech pipeline, from K-12 education through the workplace with
education programs, advocacy, and gap-closing investing.
Reporting to the Chief People Officer, the Senior Director of
People and Culture will be responsible for developing and executing
strategies to support an engaged, and energetic Kapor Center
community. This individual will support people and culture
functions for all Kapor Center staff, Oakland-based and those based
in other regions. The incumbent will have primary responsibility
for developing and executing a values-based culture strategy,
including developing year-round training curriculum for managers
and staff, creating an approach for assessing culture, spearheading
efforts to organize Kapor Center committees (membership,
coordination between committees, etc.), chair the Kapor Center
Culture Committee, work with the Chief People Officer on
performance management approach and best practices, compensation,
human resources compliance, organizational policy and procedures
The Sr. Director of People and Culture must be familiar with and
demonstrably committed to the mission and values of the Kapor
Center. All initiatives must reflect this approach, and should be
customized. The focus of this role is to build practices and a
culture that support employees to have maximum impact in their
respective organizations, each of which are regarded as leaders in
their respective sectors in addressing the intersection of tech and
racial justice. We believe that employees deserve to be treated
with respect and that being treated fairly means taking individual
needs and differences into account. However, this approach is in
service of enabling talented, energized people to have as much
impact as possible. Metrics of success are as much about
accomplishing organizational missions as they are about employees
having a strong sense of belonging and feeling heard and
Training and Development and Performance
- Develop training and development plans for year round
curriculum for all staff, with an emphasis on building strong
- Identify and engage with training partners to deliver
- Working closely with the Chief People Officer, help to oversee
the development, implementation, and management of the Kapor
Center’s performance management system.
- Work with supervisors on suggestions for individual training
that will enhance growth and development for staff.
- Prepare and analyze HR metrics for the organizational
performance reviews and provide reports that support decision
making in specified areas.
- Lead a monthly meeting of organization supervisors to discuss
and share best management practices, identify areas for needed
training, test new programs/ideas, etc.
- Develop relationships with Kapor Center staff and become
someone who is sought for advice and counsel on HR, cultural, and
- Chair the Kapor Center Culture Committee, working with staff
from across the organization to keep culture initiatives centered
- Oversee and rationalize the Kapor Center committees, including
how/when people join or drop from a committee, assessing when or if
new committees should be formed
- Conduct “stay” interviews with staff to gain feedback and
suggestions about improving and addressing organizational and
- Implement new and enhance existing staff recognition and reward
programs, wellness initiatives, etc.
- Develop strategies to help staff stay connected and engaged
while working remotely, through and beyond the Covid-19
- With leadership from across the organization, develop and
implement opportunities for greater cross-collaboration between and
within the Kapor Center entities
- Help to draft and facilitate construction of relevant internal
communications relating to issues, internal or external, that do or
could affect organizational culture
- Develop ways to strengthen Kapor Center onboarding process and
experience, and conduct new hire orientation for new staff.
Compensation and salary management
- In conjunction with the Chief People Officer, implement
compensation, promotions and salary adjustment program and process.
Ensure compensation data is current, and position decisions
(promotions, increases, etc.) are managed consistently.
- Ensure all job descriptions are current, consistent with
established salary guidelines and are woven into the performance
review process and employee goals and objectives.
Policy and Procedure Oversight
- With the Chief People Officer, create and / or update policies,
procedures, and guidelines. Evaluate the current HR processes and
recommend changes as appropriate.
- Keep abreast of tech industry knowledge and trends by
participating in conferences and educational opportunities, reading
professional publications, maintaining professional networks, and
participating in professional organizations.
All other duties and responsibilities, as assigned by the
Chief People Officer.
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 8 years of people operations
experience in the above areas
- Experience overseeing people operations functions in multiple
markets and locations strongly preferred.
- Proven success at establishing/creating a positive culture in
- Demonstrated experience in building and managing diverse teams
and inclusive cultures is required.
- Familiarity and experience with utilizing technology to
mitigate bias and create fair workplaces
- Must bring a strong diversity, racial equity, and inclusion
lens with experience driving DEI priorities across recruitment,
benefits and compensation, and talent management.
- Thorough understanding of people operations policies and
procedures, and knowledge of Federal and State regulations.
- Familiarity with all aspects of people operations, including
compensation, recruitment, benefits, training.
- Ability to advocate for both staff and management.
- Highly proactive style of work, with a demonstrated track
record of developing people-centric approaches
- Proficiency and/or comfort with people operations technology
(e.g., performance management software, applicant tracking systems,
Ideal candidates will also demonstrate the following
- High level of personal and professional integrity and
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- The ability to lead with collaboration, transparency, and
- Deep and authentic commitment to our organizational values:
- We Close Gaps, Open Doors, and SMASH Barriers
- We Value Tech as a Tool to Scale Social Impact
- We Lead with Racial Justice and Reflect the Communities We
- We Honor Distances Traveled, Not Just Finish
- We Challenge with Urgency, Respect, and Purpose
- We Don’t Just Talk. Positive Intent Must Lead to Positive
The Kapor Center provides competitive compensation commensurate
with experience, and an excellent benefits package including
medical, dental, vision, life/disability insurance, paid time off,
401k, volunteer time, flexible spending accounts (i.e. parking,
transit, medical and dependent care), student loan repayment
assistance and on-demand mental healthcare. Our collaborative
office is located in Oakland’s dynamic Uptown District.
We are seeking candidates with a personal commitment to
fairness, social justice, and innovation--values that are embedded
in our culture. We are committed to representation and inclusion,
and we welcome applicants with diverse perspectives and
Apply for this job