WORK FOR AN AWARD-WINNING NON-PROFIT SOCIAL
Job Title: Senior Grant Writer/Fund Development Officer
Job Location: U.S. – preferably Denver, San Francisco,
Washington, D.C. or New York City
Start Date: To begin immediately
Term: At-will, full-time employment
Salary: $60,000 - $70,000, based on experience
WHO WE ARE
Founded in 2004, Build Change is an innovative international
non‐profit social enterprise whose mission is to save lives in
earthquakes and hurricanes. We do that by designing
disaster-resistant houses and schools; training homeowners,
builders, engineers and government officials to build them; working
with governments to develop and implement building standards;
partnering with the private sector to improve building materials
quality and create jobs; and facilitating access to incentive-based
capital for reconstruction and retrofitting by partnering with
financing institutions and government subsidy programs.
Build Change is the recipient of multiple awards, including a
2017 Skoll Foundation Award for Social Entrepreneurship, OpenIDEO
Urban Resilience Challenge Winner, and was a top three finalist in
IBM’s inaugural Call for Code Developer Challenge in 2018.
To learn more about us and our programs in Indonesia, Colombia,
Guatemala, the Philippines, Nepal and the Caribbean, visit
YOUR NEW OPPORTUNITY
As Senior Grant Writer of Build Change, you will lead Build
Change’s grant fundraising efforts. You will develop,
diversify and execute Build Change’s grant strategy and annual
tactical plan, with a primary focus on prevention or pre-disaster
mitigation programs. As a member of the development team, you
will contribute to strategic planning and budgeting as well as
support the CEO and your peers within our country programs by
providing them with creative partnership strategies. You will
also have the opportunity to work with the CEO, senior management
team and board members in preparation for donor meetings and other
fund development events and to collaborate with related staff of
supporting foundations and partners.
You are prepared to manage research, position, write, cultivate
and win grant proposals for a diverse set of donors and funders
including development agencies (USAID, UNDP, UNOPS), development
banks (The World Bank, Asian Development Bank), relief agencies
(American Red Cross, Mercy Corps) and a myriad of foundations and
corporate partners. You are also excited by the challenge to
secure over US$1M in grants or contracts in the first year, growing
that to over US$2.5M per year over the first three years.
The Senior Grant Writer also holds the responsibility for
preparation of fund development pipeline reports and partnership
tracking reports as well as management of Salesforce and other CRM
tools. You will report directly to the CEO and COO until a
Director of Fund Development is added to our team. You will
also collaborate with the Director of Marketing &
Communications and other Build Change staff.
- Perform grant and award research, cultivation, positioning and
proposal writing for unrestricted and restricted funding from
foundations, HNWIs, corporations and other agencies. Identify and
successfully obtain grants and/or contracts to expand Build
- Reach out to private companies, NGOs and institutional donors,
and hold meetings to introduce Build Change and/or follow up on
current partnerships. Take the lead to promote and advocate for
Build Change's engineering services and training programs to other
agencies and potential partners.
- Represent Build Change when developing relationships and
collaborating with governments, local Government bodies, donor
representatives, private sector stakeholders, as well as
development operators, including NGOs and UN agencies.
- Oversee research for CEO, senior staff, and board members for
fund development meetings. Manage current and potential list of
prospective grant donors, including overseeing the updating of
contact information and notes in Salesforce and management of a
proposal calendar on Gmail.
- Write and maintain correspondence including concept notes,
proposals, reports, and introductions.
- Maintain consistent communications with all program sites
regarding program updates and fund development activities. Produce
regular progress reports on impact monitoring framework and
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- A proven record of raising at least $1M per year in funds from
- Superior, professional and versatile writing, presentation, and
communication skills with the ability to adapt based on audience.
(You will be required to submit two writing samples, at least one
of which will need to be a grant proposal.)
- The ability to work independently and focus on details in
addition to big-picture strategies, and also to actively lead and
contribute to team goals.
Your experience includes:
- 5-7 years’ experience in grant writing, grant compliance or a
- An advanced University degree in journalism, marketing, public
relations, communications or a related field.
- Professional experience in proposal writing for an
international non-profit social enterprise or similar private
sector business, with a proven record of winning grants and
exceeding fundraising or business development goals.
You are able to:
- Speak passionately, both verbally and in writing, about Build
- Work independently with little direction, including some
evenings and weekends.
- Competently manage donor data management systems, primarily
- Demonstrate excellent written, interpersonal communication and
- Provide writing samples that showcase clear, precise, and
compelling grant writing skills.
You would describe yourself as:
- Committed to the mission of providing financing for resilient
housing construction and retrofitting to vulnerable
- Pro-active, self-motivated, and able to work independently
while also contributing fully as a team member.
- Detail-oriented, organized, and deadline-driven with the
ability to effectively and compellingly communicate to various
- Optimistic, flexible, humble, patient, and having a good sense
- Fluent in English.
And maybe you
- Have worked in the Caribbean, Latin America, Asia or emerging
- Have experience in international development or engineering
- Understand basic engineering and construction principles.
- Speak Spanish, French or any of the languages spoken in our
ARE YOU INTERESTED?
Then please visit www.buildchange.org/about/careers and select
the link for this position. Applications will be accepted
until filled and will be reviewed as received. Build Change
is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified women and
citizens of Build Change’s program countries are strongly
encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be
contacted. No calls please.