MISSION OF NATIONAL SKILLS COALITION
Skills Coalition is a broad-based coalition working
toward a vision of an America that grows its economy by investing
in its people, so that every worker and every industry has the
skills to compete and prosper. We engage in organizing, advocacy
and communications to advance state and federal policies that
support these goals – polices that are based on the on-the-ground
expertise of our members and allies.
United (BLU) s an initiative of the
National Skills Coalition and operates as a national network of
small and medium-sized businesses and business membership
organizations promoting public investments in skills training and
workforce development programs that strengthen the workforce and
The Communications Manager is responsible for developing and
executing communications strategies and tactics and engaging BLU
members and allies that target members of the coalition’s Business
Leaders United (BLU) initiative. This person will lead strategies
to use traditional communications and digital tools to engage and
mobilize people to support BLU’s network, advocacy, and engagement
goals. The Communications Manager will expand the reach of NSC’s
communications, find new audiences, bring more constituents to our
platforms and build awareness of our key issues.
He or she is action-oriented, and eager to actively collaborate
with policy and communications staff on simultaneous
campaigns. This job requires strong project management skills,
and the ability to multi-task in a deadline driven
environment. The successful candidate will be able to
translate complex ideas into succinct and impactful communications
for a wide range of platforms and
purposes. He or she must also demonstrate a
team-oriented approach to shared work, problem solving, and
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with BLU members and business leaders across the country
to effectively communicate about our issues, priorities, and agenda
to a wide range of audiences including the press, policy makers,
- Work to increase the visibility of BLU in the media
and assist in developing written materials such as op-eds, press
releases, advisories, backgrounders and other media-friendly
- Assist in creating social media strategy and digital
initiatives and drive engagement of stakeholders.
- Write and edit a range of content and collateral.
- Oversee the development of videos and other digital and
traditional storytelling products.
Policy and Coalition Communications
- Prepare BLU members to participate or act as spokespeople in
advocacy activities or actions that publicly promote the
organization or our policy platform.
- Develop network-wide correspondence and support BLU member
- Provide communications guidance and support to the BLU
- In collaboration with policy and communications staff, develop
or adapt business-facing policy and issue-based materials that can
be used directly with business leaders and by national network
- Manage the development of all communications collateral for
BLU’s events – including look/branding, printed collateral, and
social media plans.
- Conceptualize, develop, and execute, and assess vibrant,
cohesive communications strategies and tactics for BLU’s most
dynamic campaigns in coordination with NSC staff.
- Actively participate and contribute to planning BLU initiatives
and strategic communications campaign plans to ensure that
communications goals are integrated into campaign
- Maintain BLU’s communications calendar.
- Use NSC’s project management software, efficiently manage
communications projects that include BLU staff, coalition
partners, and other stakeholders.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should
demonstrate the following competencies:
- Project Management: Brings together every
component of a project, including resources or planning, that are
needed to complete in a timely manner.
- Partnership Development: Ability to develop,
maintain and strengthen partnerships with others inside and outside
the organization who can provide information, assistance, and
- Strategic Thinking/Management: Creates and
communicates a long-term vision, balances short- and long-term
goals, keeps own and team’s work aligned with overall goals,
creates, adjusts strategic plans.
- Organizational Awareness: Using knowledge of
the organization and the organization’s business environment to
turn data into insight.
ORGANIZATIONAL CORE COMPETENCIES
- Interpersonal skills: Exhibits respect and
understanding of others to maintain professional relationship.
- Problem Solving: Solves problems while
ensuring rules and directives are followed.
- Communication Skills: Ability to effectively
engage and communicate with target audiences.
- Initiative: Takes independent action, seeks
out new responsibilities, acts on opportunities, generates new
ideas, practices self-development.
- Attention to Detail: Committed to accuracy and
excellence, looks for improvements continuously, monitors quality
levels, finds/owns/acts on quality problems.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job
successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential
duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are
representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
Education & Experience:
- Minimum of 3 years relevant experience
- Knowledge of business association landscape and players
- Knowledge of postsecondary and workforce development policy and
- Knowledge of postsecondary and workforce development field,
- Excellent written communication, including drafting emails,
social media copy, web copy, blogs
- Public speaking (ability to effectively engage and communicate
with target audiences)
- Strong interpersonal, collaborative skills
- Proactive, problem solving orientation
- Ability to manage tasks and projects and meet deadlines
- Attention to detail
- Effectively uses technology to communicate/collaborate with
colleagues and manage work
COMPENSATION: Salary range for this position is
$60,000-$85,000; salary depends on relevant experience and new
staff rarely start at the top of the range. Excellent benefits
package, including employer-paid health and dental, retirement
plan, life and disability insurance and generous vacation
National Skills Coalition is an Equal Opportunity
Employer. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to