Job Description Summary
This position identifies, cultivates, solicits and stewards
leadership gift prospects and donors, primarily on the West Coast
with a capacity to make gifts of at least $50,000 - $1M. The
Leadership Gifts Officer (LGO) will develop and implement strategic
plans aimed at maximizing individual gifts for Bentley University's
current comprehensive campaign, Be A Force: The Campaign for
Bentley University. In addition, the LGO establishes effective
relationships with leadership gift prospects and donors, and
collaborates with all offices within the division of University
Advancement to meet the fundraising objectives of the
- Manage a portfolio of 150-200 leadership gift prospects and
donors, mostly on the West Coast.
- Meet expectations for annually articulated goals for gift
revenue and solicitations.
- Effectively and efficiently move prospects through the pipeline
stages to negotiate and close leadership gift for the campaign -
average time from qualify to solicit is 18 months.
- Create opportunities to conduct a minimum of 100 substantive
interactions annually (face-to-face, Zoom, etc.) - involving
institutional leadership, faculty and high-level volunteers, when
appropriate - to cultivate, solicit and steward leadership gift
prospects and donors in a manner that meets best practice standards
of the industry.
- Create cultivation and solicitation plans for the LGO's top 25
prospects and donors.
- Prepare timely contact reports, briefing materials,
correspondence, proposals and related documents for the cultivation
and solicitation of leadership gift prospects.
- Collaborate with the Office of Alumni & Family Engagement
and the Pulsifer Career Development Center to maximize resources
and create opportunities to engage prospects and donors through
events and other activities.
- Partner with Annual Giving, Gift Planning and Prospect Research
teams to create comprehensive solicitation strategies that support
mutually shared goals, and to identify new leadership gift
- Collaborate with the Stewardship Programs team to ensure that
donors in portfolio are receiving appropriate levels of stewardship
and preparing proposals and gift agreements.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of Bentley University's
campaign and fundraising priorities.
- Develop and articulate a deep knowledge of the culture at
Bentley University; its history and mission; academic,
extra-curricular and athletic programs; and its faculty, students
- Understand and meet departmental standards, policies and
procedures with respect to all aspect of the position.
- Participate and organize, as appropriate, in the planning of
small cultivation events for high-level prospects and donors to
showcase Bentley and campaign priorities.
- Attend and staff events as required, including some weekend and
- Coordinate and help to organize regional cultivation and
stewardship events with other Advancement staff.
- Bachelor's degree with at least 5 - 7 years of front line
leadership or major gift fundraising or other related experience,
preferably in an institution of higher education.
- Preference for previous work with West Coast travel meeting
with prospects and donors or similar experiences.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills are
- Experience with and proficiency in any donor database software,
and an intermediate command of Microsoft Word and Excel are
- Positive professional who is self-motivated, results-oriented
and team player who is enthusiastic and able to make direct
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks simultaneously
with close attention to detail and prioritization to meet
- Conversant in basic gift planning techniques preferred.
- Must hold and maintain a valid, unrestricted US driver's
license, with an insurable driving history as determined by
Bentley's insurance carrier.
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to diversity, equity and
inclusion in a value-driven organization.
- Position requires a significant amount of time working on a
computer and on the phone.
- LGO must be able to travel by car, plane and public
transportation as position will require 25-30% overnight and day
travel. Some weekend and evening duties are required.
- Bentley University requires references checks and may conduct
other pre-employment screening.
Bentley University requires references checks and may conduct other
Bentley University strives to create a campus community that
welcomes the exchange of ideas, and fosters a culture that values
differences and views them as a strength in our community.
Bentley University is an Equal Opportunity Employer, building
strength through diversity. The University is committed to building
a community of talented students, faculty and staff who reflect the
diversity of global business. We strongly encourage applications
from persons from underrepresented groups, individuals with
disabilities, covered veterans and those with diverse experiences