GREENWOOD GARDENS MARKETING COMMUNICATIONS
Greenwood Gardens is a treasured public garden, a 28-acre former
private estate incorporated as a non-profit organization in 2003
and accessible to the public since 2013. Located in Short Hills,
New Jersey, approximately 25 miles west of New York City, Greenwood
is an enchanted hideaway, graced with terraced gardens, woodlands,
meadows, grottoes, fountains, Arts and Crafts follies, and winding
paths. With a mission of connecting people with nature in a
historic garden oasis, we are guided in our work by a
seven-year strategic plan whose goal is to achieve increased
visitation through continued revitalization of the historic
features and landscape, heightened educational and entertaining
programs and events (the pandemic notwithstanding), and acceptance
by the broader community as a singular haven in which to experience
peace, tranquility, and well-being. Having recently completed
transformative capital projects in which we added substantial
parking capacity; renovated the core portion of the historic
garden, including two water features; and revitalized major
portions of the landscape, Greenwood has entered an important new
phase of its growth that heralds exciting opportunities for the
marketing of this unique site. This new full-time position will be
key to increasing awareness of what Greenwood offers the public and
to attracting new visitors, members, donors, and volunteers that
ensure our ability to carry out and sustain our mission.
POSITION SUMMARY/PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
The Marketing Communications Manager (MCM) is responsible for
the execution and maintenance of Greenwood’s integrated marketing
plan, aimed at raising public awareness of the gardens with the
goal of increasing visitation, membership, volunteers, and
financial support from donors. The position reports to the
Executive Director and is a member of the senior leadership team.
Primary responsibilities include:
Integrated Marketing Communications
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, ensure continuous
planning of Greenwood’s marketing communications strategies and
approaches including public relations, social media,
e-communications, publications, photography, and graphic design to
increase brand recognition.
- Assist in the management of and serve as part of a team that
identifies and markets relevant programming delivered by external
resources. Create/maintain a multi-channel marketing editorial
Development of Marketing Content and Design
- Develop, manage, and produce creative, high-quality content and
graphic elements to be delivered across the organization’s
marketing channels including social media, email, publications,
direct mail, and website, ensuring brand standards are maintained
- Write, edit, design and/or oversee graphic design and
photography resources to deliver marketing communications materials
throughout the year that are cogent and visually appealing to
Greenwood’s various audiences.
- Serve as an able photographer at ease taking photos and videos
of the garden in different seasons and conditions, as well as of
the visiting public and special event attendees.
- With website technical consultant, manage and update the
website on a timely basis.
Social Media Management
- Comprehensively oversee and manage Greenwood’s approach to
using social media platforms, including monitoring online reviews,
comments, and messages, responding to each in a timely, appropriate
- Design and manage social media ad campaigns that connect
potential visitors to Greenwood/drive traffic to our platforms.
Analyze key metrics, updating strategies as needed.
- Develop and expand community and/or influencer outreach
- Stay abreast of social media trends and modify Greenwood’s
approach if necessary.
Research and Analysis
- Track and analyze marketing channel performance/ROI against
- Closely Monitor the marketing budget to allocate funds
- Analyze visitor metrics and adjust email and advertising
- Competitive analysis of strategies & activities of
- Conduct research and recommend new platforms and strategies
that best deliver on key marketing priorities/messages according to
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and department
heads, develop relevant pitches to journalists, editors, and media
based on editorial calendars.
- Create press releases and media alerts promoting and providing
information on the Garden’s activities that are of interest to the
public; maintain accurate and current media lists.
- Minimum of three to five years of related experience in
marketing/digital communications, journalism, public relations, or
some combination, in the nonprofit and/or public-serving cultural
sector such as a garden, museum, or performing arts venue.
- A. from an accredited college in marketing, communications,
journalism, public relations, graphic design, or related
- Strong analytical, organizational and project management skills
with the proven ability to meet deadlines and accomplish a variety
of long- and short-term goals within budget parameters.
- Demonstrated experience creating effective social media
content; ability to interact with users and respond to social media
messages, inquiries, and comments in a timely and professional
- Excellent writing, editing, oral, and research skills a must,
as is unrelenting attention to detail.
- Proficiency in photography and experience managing an
organizational website as well as experience managing creative
- Technology proficiency required – Microsoft Office Suite,
social media and video editing tools including email marketing
system (MailChimp and Constant Contact); working knowledge of
publishing software such as Adobe Creative Cloud suite, Photoshop,
InDesign and/or Illustrator (intermediate to advanced level a
plus); knowledge of website content management systems and CRM
software (preferably Blackbaud) a plus.
- Ability to work in a small, collaborative, entrepreneurial
staff environment, and maintain a positive attitude, strong work
ethic, and high degree of professionalism.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
This is a full-time, exempt position. The compensation range
will be discussed in early conversations with candidates who are
chosen to interview.
Greenwood Gardens offers a comprehensive and competitive
portfolio of benefits, including health insurance, a very generous
paid time off policy, and a retirement savings plan.
Please email your resume along with a cover letter expressing
your reasons for applying, two of your relevant writing samples and
two samples of your relevant collateral/graphic material to:
Include “Marketing Communications Manager Position” in the email
subject line. Applications will be considered on a rolling
Applications submitted using any other method will not
be considered. No phone calls please.
ABOUT EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES AT GREENWOOD
Greenwood Gardens offers all candidates equal opportunity for
employment and advancement based on their qualifications, skills,
and competence, without regard to race, religion, creed, gender
identity and expression, disability, or other classification or
characteristics protected by federal, state, or local