About The Organization
ReFED is a national nonprofit working to end food loss and waste
across the food system by advancing data-driven solutions to the
problem. ReFED leverages data and insights to highlight supply
chain inefficiencies and economic opportunities; mobilizes and
connects supporters to take targeted action; and catalyzes capital
to spur innovation and scale high-impact initiatives. Starting with
the 2016 Roadmap to Reduce U.S. Food Waste, ReFED has
developed a trusted history of producing first-of-their-kind tools
and resources, providing a full-supply-chain picture of U.S. food
waste, cost-effective solutions to reduce it, and methods to track
progress. In February 2021, ReFED launched its new Roadmap
to 2030 and Insights
Engine, an online data center designed to serve as the next
generation of data, insights, and guidance on U.S. food waste
reduction. Solving this problem will have a significant impact on
mitigating climate change, optimizing use of water, land, and other
resources, and providing meals for the over 50 million people in
the United States who currently face food insecurity.
ReFED is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome candidates
from all backgrounds to apply and encourage candidates of diverse
gender, race, religion, age, national origin, political
affiliation, ancestry, sexual orientation, disability status,
veteran status, and more to consider joining our team. We believe
that everyone has a seat at the table, and that this table always
has room for growth. The success of our organization is rooted in
the visible and invisible qualities of our people. ReFED’s people
embody a variety of views, perspectives, and backgrounds to push
the envelope of what is possible and better meet the needs of the
community in the hopes of building a better food system. Community
is more than a word here.
ReFED's vision is a sustainable, resilient, and inclusive food
system that optimizes environmental resources, minimizes climate
impacts, and makes the best use of the food we grow. Learn more at
About The Position
ReFED is a medium-sized, non-profit organization with
multi-state operations in the U.S. and a limited international
presence (presently Canada, and interest in engagement in global
food waste movements). We have modest growth goals over the next
~12 months and are seeking a highly skilled member to join a
growing Development Team to support the fundraising and
relationship-building needs to affirm the future of ReFED’s mission
ReFED’s Development Team is responsible for raising the
resources needed to fund the operations of the organization,
presently approximately $4.5-5 million per year. The formal
Development operation is in its first year, and we are growing a
team that is establishing the operation that will leverage the
financial support needed for the next generation of growth and
mission work of ReFED. This is the second full-time hire in the
team and we will continue to grow in response to opportunities and
organizational needs, including adding interns, contract staff, and
other potential team members in the coming year. In short, you will
be part of a “lean and mean” team committed to getting real work
The Senior Manager, working remotely and reporting to the
national Director of Development, is expected to be able to work
successfully toward fundraising and operational goals with minimal
supervision. Meeting weekly and setting the course of action will
be our practice, but you will be encouraged to be fully productive
and accountable without daily supervisor contact. If you thrive in
getting things done with minimal meetings to build greater
nonprofit resources, this role may be ideal. This is a great
opportunity for a highly organized, detail-oriented, and discerning
individual who is passionate about organization-building for
greater social and environmental impact.
You are a good fit if you:
- Are passionate about making a difference in the world, with
personal interest and/or experience in food systems or
- Are able to work independently and collaboratively.
- Are extraordinarily organized and skilled at managing many
- Enjoy designing and deploying fundraising and relationship
management processes for greater efficiencies, and balancing that
with organizational needs and culture.
- Enjoy researching and writing.
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment and comfortable with
the ambiguity of a newer organization.
- Are driven to tackle one of the biggest challenges facing
society today―food loss and waste― and excited to positively impact
food security, economic growth, and climate change.
You may have a mix of professional experience from roles
- Development Manager, Associate, Assistant, or Coordinator
- Nonprofit Manager, or Program Associate or Assistant
- Direct Sales, Customer Service Representative or Account
The Senior Manager
position includes the following responsibilities as well as
additional duties that may be assigned from time to time.
- Manage individual giving program for ReFED, including full
responsibility for online giving portals, and regular and special
direct mail and web-based giving appeals (e.g., year-end appeals,
special interest appeals, Giving Tuesday).
- Manage donor stewardship program, building a process for
thanking donors and maintaining regular contact with donors.
- Assist the Director in identifying and leveraging high-dollar
prospects within individual giving program; assist in developing
moves management processes for donors.
- Secure sponsorships for ReFED programs, including roundtables
and webinar events, Food Waste Funder Circle, and the annual Food
Waste Solutions Summit.
- Assist in grant research and grant writing, including full
responsibility for some four- and five-figure programmatic
- Take leadership for developing and deploying regional donor
stewardship events; attend events as practical and
- Assist Director in managing the Board of Directors Development
Committee and assist in member recruitment.
- Working with the Communications Team and Director, develop
collateral materials and content for multiple uses and mediums,
including direct donor engagement, media, and social media
outreach about donors involved with ReFED.
- Working with the Operations Team, maintain grant budget
- Manage regular grant reporting processes, including ensuring
materials are maintained in permanent records of the
Systems & Tools
- Ensure all fundraising and CRM systems, technology, and
processes are highly reliable and all information therein is
- Identify gaps and implement solutions where processes and
systems could be updated or made more efficient.
- Coordinate training opportunities and support individual needs
of staff related to training for CRM (Salesforce,
- Manage ReFED LinkedIn page for donor relations.
- Provide support for funds developed for specific regranting by
- Maintain records of all donor correspondence and
- Maintain all grant records and assure compliance for grant
- Maintain prospect files and records, regularly researching and
finding new opportunities.
- Maintain sponsorship processes and records, ensuring highly
effective and well-resourced events.
- Maintain awareness of and conduct periodic research on
activities of affiliated or collaborating organizations, as well as
trends and opportunities in fund development.
- 6+ years of professional nonprofit and/or fundraising or sales
- Experience running fundraising campaigns and fundraising
- Exceptional communications skills, both verbally and in
writing; proven relationship manager with experience building and
maintaining client relationships, and the ability to become a
trusted partner to donors and volunteers.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills with an
ability to apply those skills to one’s own work as well as in the
service of others.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks or projects concurrently
without losing sight of core objectives or the complexities of any
- Experience and comfort with data entry and management,
especially using independent CRM tools (e.g., Salesforce, Blackbaud
products, Donor Perfect, etc.).
- Strong capabilities and demonstrated discretion in managing and
maintaining confidential records and working with sensitive
- Strong project management skills with the ability to work
independently and as a self-starter.
- Ability to communicate and align with internal and external
stakeholders well in a remote working environment; preference given
to candidates with experience with remote/virtual work
- Proficiency with Google Suite (gmail, gcal, sheets, docs,
slides, etc.), MS Office Suite, Slack, Salesforce, and a
willingness and ability to learn new systems and tools. ReFED also
uses Monday.com, Zoom, LastPass, Adobe, and other team- or
- Comfort with ambiguity and ability to thrive in a fluid,
entrepreneurial environment, and willingness to “roll up the
sleeves” and extend beyond formal responsibilities as needed for
- Demonstrated success working to promote diversity, equity and
inclusion and working with remote teams.
Diversity, Equity, And Inclusion
ReFED is an equal opportunity employer. It believes that
everyone has a seat at the table, and that this table always has
room for growth. The success of the organization is rooted in the
visible and invisible qualities of its people. Its people embody a
variety of views, perspectives, and backgrounds to push the
envelope of what is possible and better meet the needs of the
community in the hopes of building a sustainable, resilient, and
inclusive food system. Community is more than a word here. As
stewards of this food system that benefits from the inclusion and
enhancement of diverse voices, ReFED recognizes that systemic
barriers limit opportunities for certain groups which contributes
to ongoing disparities. Furthermore, it accepts that its commitment
to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) means a commitment to
constant learning, listening, and interaction in all aspects of its
work. Intrinsically, ReFED is an organization that seeks to attract
exceptional and dedicated talent to advance its mission, and it
firmly believes that inclusion through recruiting, hiring,
developing, training, and promoting employees of all genders,
races, religions, ages, national origins, political affiliations,
ancestries, sexual orientations, disabilities, and veteran status,
creates an atmosphere that enables it to lead with an
entrepreneurial spirit and innovate with enterprise.
Working at ReFED
ReFED offers a competitive salary and benefits package,
opportunities for professional development, and policies and
programs that encourage a healthy work-life balance. ReFED’s U.S.
benefits package includes:
100% employee and 50% dependent
premium coverage for medical, dental, and vision benefits;
Participation in employer-sponsored
401(k) plans with up to 4% employer matching;
opportunities - including annual budget - and option to participate
in ReFED’s mentor program;
18 paid vacation days;
Paid sick and family leave;
Approximately 12 paid company
holidays annually - including closed offices the last week of the
Short- and long-term disability
coverage and term life insurance; and
Flexible work environment with option
to work from home or a co-working space.
Learn more about our values, team, and commitment to employees
Benefits for Canadian employees are available upon request.
All applications must be accompanied by a cover letter
and résumé submitted in PDF format. Shawn Shepherd, Director of
Development, is the hiring manager for this position and all
correspondence should be addressed to Ms. Shepherd. Cover
letters must be responsive to the needs of this position.
Applications must be received by December 10, 2021 to be