The Deputy Director of Development is a proactive, energetic,
organized and mission-driven fundraiser and strategist with
excellent writing and communications skills. They will play a key
role in the sustainable growth of A Better Chance’s development
program and across the organization. Reporting to the National
Director of External Affairs, the Deputy Director of Development
will: 1) serve as a front-line fundraiser who will be responsible
for all corporate partnerships of $100K+; 2) serve as a thought
partner to the National Director of External Affairs on
implementing the annual development plan; 3) oversee Development
Office operations and 4) contribute to the team in helping develop
and implement best practice policies and operations that support
the growth and sustainability of the development program.
The ideal candidate should be able to prioritize projects, work
under pressure and help lead a team poised for growth in the coming
years. The Deputy Director of Development will oversee a team of 3
staff members including the Assistant Director of Development,
Manager of Individual & Annual Giving and Development
This is a full-time position based in New York City with a
comprehensive benefits package.
- Reporting to the National Director of External Affairs,
the Deputy Director of Development will cultivate and lead key
relationships with individuals, corporations, and institutions
including stewardship and building new relationships to secure at
least $4M in annual revenue.
- Build, manage and steward a portfolio of corporate partnerships
with the capacity to give over $100,000+, on a multi-year
- Supervise and manage a team of 4, which currently includes a
Development Assistant, Manager of Individual and Annual Giving, and
Assistant Director of Development.
- Perform prospect research to identify corporations and
organizations whose philanthropic, employee engagement, and/or
community engagement goals align with A Better Chance.
- Interface with Board members, donors, Advisory Council members,
and other essential stakeholders to drive forward key Development
- Prepare accurate, thorough partner briefings and information
packets for meetings with prospects.
- Create appropriate follow up to all calls and meetings.
- Oversee the execution of all donor communications including
mid-year and annual donor reports, cases for support, and related
Development collateral; work with the Development Deputy, external
Communications partner and A Better Chance team members to produce
these communications pieces with a creative approach, within
budget, and on time.
- Serve as the leader for all Development events from inception
to execution; ensure the events are designed to support moves
management strategies; manage team members (Development,
Consultants and other department staff) to successfully plan and
- Oversee reporting on financial progress against goals including
bi-weekly financial updates, and monthly and quarterly
- Oversee donor data with accuracy, confidentiality, and
efficiency; ensure data management supports the needs of all
aspects of the Development program.
- Effectively develop and put into practice the use of
fundraising reports and metrics to drive accountability and
- The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 10 years’ experience
in a nonprofit or educational institution with experience in
capital campaigns and have a successful track record of
cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of five figure gifts or
- Experience in supervisory role including mentoring, coaching,
professional development and training of new staff.
- Experience building and maintaining long-term relationships
with prospects or fundraising constituents.
- Experience in presenting and closing proposals.
- Experience in managing and tracking multiple prospects and
donors in donor relationship management systems.
- Experience working with cross-functional teams.
- Experience, coursework, or other training in fundraising
principles and practices.
- Experience in writing and editing funding proposals,
presentations, donor letters, annual reports, or equivalent.
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural
experience are appreciated.
A Better Chance, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Employment
Opportunity. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating
an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate
based on race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual
orientation, age, veteran status, disability status, or any other
applicable characteristics protected by law.
A Better Chance offers a competitive salary and a robust suite
of benefits including Health/Dental/Vision, EAP, paid time off,
professional development opportunities, snacks, food service, 3%
401K employer contribution, commuter benefits and the opportunity
to work with talented, smart, and passionate professionals.
A Better Chance has contracted Recruit Petra to fill this role.
To apply please visit: https://recruiterflow.com/recruitpetrallc/jobs/53