American Humane seeks an experienced earned media professional
to serve as our new Communications Manager. The person in this
position will act as the primary person for pitching and securing
media for the President & CEO, as well as collaborating with
communications team to promote programs and disseminate
organizational messaging to achieve media coverage. The position
will be a hybrid of remote work and office-based work; preference
will be given to candidates located in Palm Beach, FL or the
surrounding area. The Communications Manager will report to the
Vice President, Communications & Legislative Affairs. American
Humane is committed to fostering diversity, equity, and inclusion
in the workplace. As we seek to fill this position, we highly
encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
For more than 100 years American Humane has been first in
promoting the welfare and safety of animals and strengthening the
bond between animals and people. We are first to serve,
wherever animals are in need of rescue, shelter, protection or
security. Through our innovative leadership initiatives – from our
“No Animals Were Harmed®” program in Hollywood to broad-based farm
and conservation animal welfare certifications, to rapid response
rescue and care across the country – American Humane sets the gold
standard as the most visionary and effective animal welfare
organization in the nation.
The Communications Manager (Manager) is responsible for
promoting the mission and work of American Humane and is the point
person for pitching and securing broadcast and long-lead print
stories featuring president and CEO Dr. Robin Ganzert. Media
outreach will be directed at both the national and local regions,
with a particular focus on southern Florida media outlets including
print, TV, radio, podcasts, blogs and emerging media platforms.
The Manager will be an integral member of the Communications
department and work collaboratively to develop and implement
strategies around earned media for the organization. The
Manager will pitch and coordinate media opportunities, provide
background briefing packages, talking points and staff interviews
as directed by the VP of Communications.
- Pitch human interest and business stories featuring President
& CEO to members of the press (i.e. reporters, television
network producers, etc.) on an ongoing basis.
- Develop and cultivate strategic relationships with Florida
media, including traditional and new media (including television,
print, online, podcasts, etc.)
- Serve as the on-site FL media liaison for AH centered press
appearances, including: AH events with press attendance (e.g.
congressional briefings, fundraising events such as the Hero Dog
Awards, etc.); in-studio television appearances; press conferences;
and interviews on location, among others.
- Write and distribute press releases, as well as public
statements; keep up-to-date distribution lists for press releases
- Deploy to national disasters, reunifications, special events to
gather material and, as directed, serve as a spokesperson.
- Provide additional media and writing support for American
Humane, including fundraising and development efforts.
- Identify trends in media coverage for campaigns and various
subjects as needed.
- Support and develop media strategies in collaboration with the
Communications team as well as executive and programmatic
- As needed, prepare leadership and spokespeople for media
interviews, which includes preparing materials, viewing
expectations and conducting training as needed.
- Respond to and follow-up on media inquiries in collaboration
with VP, Communications.
- Collaborate with programs and departments, such as fundraising,
to maximize exposure and outreach.
Essential experience, knowledge, skills and
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Ideal candidate will have at 8-10 years of experience with
demonstratable earned media history.
- Must love to pitch and demonstrate results.
- Strong communication skills with proven ability to present,
write and edit, and to do so in a clear, concise, well-organized
and well-articulated manner.
- Ability to change voice and writing style to fit a particular
audience and purpose.
- Self-disciplined, entrepreneurial, action-oriented style that
thrives in a fast-paced, dead-line driven, high-stress
- Demonstrates strong work ethic.
- Ability to produce high-quality work on deadline and under
- Comfortable managing multiple projects, priorities and
deadlines at one time.
- Ability to think proactively, take initiative and see tasks
through to completion with appropriate follow-up.
- Sound judgment and discretion in handling and securing
confidential information, as well as the ability to conduct oneself
in a highly professional manner.
- Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to establish
and implement systems and identify resources to ensure the
successful completion of projects. Ability to create and
maintain files, recording systems and communication protocols.
- Flexibility to work as part of a team or independently and
across departments to meet goals in a fast-paced, deadline-driven
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer and office technology
including applications for project and data management and
electronic calendars (Windows, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
and Outlook preferred). Ability to quickly learn software
specific to the department or institution.
Physical demands and work
- Strong preference for position to be based in Palm Beach, FL or
- Position will be a hybrid of remote and office-based work and
must be o.k. being around animals, especially dogs.
- Travel required, potentially up to 25-50% at times.
- Occasional need for hours beyond regular office hours,
including some evening and weekend work.
American Humane’s core values define our workplace, and
these values serve as the cornerstone for interactions in advancing
our mission and institutional goals. Employees are expected to
adhere to all organizational policies and to act as role models,
demonstrating American Humane’s core values:
Compassion – Being kind and caring in our
interactions with others.
Accountability - Holding ourselves to the
highest standards. Following through on commitments and owning our
actions, behavior, and decisions.
Respect for All – Being professional, listening
to others and honoring diversity in all its forms.
Loyalty to Mission – Staying focused on
our purpose and our mission – our nation’s most vulnerable depend
Sustainability - Contributing to being a great
place to work and achieving our shared mission and goals to make a
difference, now and in the future.
Honesty, Integrity, Trust – Demonstrating
transparency, as trusted stewards of donor resources, supporting
our leadership and one another.
American Humane (AH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer
with a commitment to fostering and growing diversity,
equity and inclusion in the workplace and the humane