The Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit (JFMD) and the
Detroit Jewish community has had a deep and strong culture of
philanthropy. JFMD’s Annual Campaign is $35M with endowments of
We seek a charismatic, results-driven, strategic fundraising
leader with a passion for the Detroit Jewish community and Jewish
life. The CDO possesses a healthy, competitive, and entrepreneurial
spirit. Engagement of donors will be the highest priority for the
new CDO. S/he will cultivate and steward a portfolio of the
community’s leading donors. This includes current and prospective
donors, community foundations, and donors from multi-generational
families who have been the historical foundation of JFMD's
Reporting directly to the CEO, the Chief Development Officer
(CDO) leads our Philanthropic Advancement (PA) Team and is
responsible for achieving and advancing the organization’s core
fundraising objectives. S/he will bring energy, commitment, and
innovation to drive and expand the reach of Federation’s highly
successful fundraising team. The CDO provides exceptional strategic
planning, donor stewardship and day-to-day management for all
facets of resource development, including, the Annual Campaign,
Major Gifts, Planned Giving, Community Endowments, Corporate
Philanthropy and other fundraising vehicles. The CDO will work in
partnership with the CEO, the Presidents, the Campaign Chairs, the
Executive Committee, the PA Team, and the Boards on all fundraising
Leadership & Executive Management
• Build and articulate a vision and direction for growing JFMD’s
Annual Campaign and Endowments
• A skilled organizational leader who will provide guidance and
direction to JFMD fundraising staff and the Boards in all areas of
• Be part of the Federation Executive Team Leads.
• Lead the professional team responsible for planning and executing
financial resource development within the community, with emphasis
on developing effective strategies to increase both the Annual
Campaign and the number of donors, diversify the donor base, and
develop the next generation of donors.
• Cultivate, steward, and build strong relationships with a
portfolio of select major donors, including the community’s multi-
generational families, and soliciting these major contributors to
the annual campaign, designated campaigns, and endowment
• Create and implement a strategic and operating plan for
integrated resource development, including planned giving, annual
campaign, supplemental giving, corporate giving and foundation
• Develop and implement strategies to attract new major
• Institute a system of accountability and a constructive means of
critical evaluation of the effectiveness and success of
Federation’s development activities and programs.
• Develop fundraising goals and objectives with measurable outcomes
in support of the Federation’s mission and community agenda.
• Drive philanthropic advancement that supports Community
Engagement and programming including NEXTGen, Women’s Philanthropy,
Affinities, and Israel and Overseas.
• Establish and implement data driven systems and structure to
guide JFMD and the community enabling them to respond to, thrive,
and understand the shifts and real time demographics within the
world of charitable giving and within a changing Federation
• The CDO must be a community leader who will develop relationships
with agencies, organizations, day schools, synagogues, and other
professionals in the community.
• Enhance Detroit’s deep commitment to fundraising for Israel and
the JFMD’s Partnership Region in the Central Galilee.
• Ensure that JFMD’s story, message and positions are effectively
communicated and disseminated to the Jewish and general
• Serve as a visible representative of JFMD in the community.
• Work with the Boards, Board Presidents, the Campaign Chairs and
the Executive Committee to drive Campaign and other fundraising
• Cultivate Board and lay support for stewardship of current and
• Executive presence. High emotional intelligence.
• Personable, likable relationship builder.
• High energy and charisma.
• Demonstrates the highest level of integrity. Trustworthy.
• Risk taker and innovator.
• Persuasive and articulate speaker and writer.
• Competitive and driven to succeed.
• Can effectively motivate and lead a team.
• Deep love and commitment to the Jewish people, Jewish life, and
• Passionate about building the Jewish community and support of
• Understands what role Federation plays in the larger community,
in Israel and around the world.
The CDO candidate must have/be:
• An experienced leader in the field of development with a minimum
of 10 years of measurable, proven fundraising success, and a
significant track record of securing significant (6 and 7-figure)
• Measurable track record of success particularly in cultivation of
and stewardship of major donors and their families and the
demonstrated ability to monetize those relationships.
• A minimum of 5 years of experience supervising dedicated, dynamic
• Prior experience working with a nonprofit Board.
• CDO candidates will have extensive experience in balancing the
responsibilities of organization management with the external
responsibilities of community development, relationship-building,
and collaboration with key stakeholders.
• Able to articulate the complex mission of JFMD in a manner that
is engaging and compelling.
• A persuasive and proven communicator, verbally and in writing,
and a skilled listener.
• Understand organizational and political aspects of Jewish life
locally, nationally, and internationally and have demonstrated the
ability to effectively raise significant funds for Jewish life.
The Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit is an equal
Click to apply: