The Director of Development will be responsible for spearheading
the development efforts of Libraries Without Borders US (LWB US) as
the organization goes through a period of rapid growth. A new
position in the organization, the Director of Development will have
the opportunity to shape fundraising and development functions in
line with both the short- and long-term needs of the organization.
They will work closely with the Executive Director, Development
Manager, and Board of Directors to define fundraising goals
for LWB US, as well as develop a clear and actionable strategy that
positions the organization to achieve its strategic and operational
The Director will be expected to manage relationships with high
net worth individual donors, family foundations, as well as the
bidding process for federal, state, and local funds. In addition,
the Director will be responsible for understanding and
communicating the scope of LWB US’ work through oral and written
communication with individuals and funding organizations
nationally. The Director will join a leadership team with the
Executive Director and Deputy Director in shaping the strategic
focus, priorities, and impact of LWB US.
Who we are looking for:
LWB US seeks a highly organized, strategic, adaptable,
detail-oriented, and people-centered leader with a demonstrated
commitment to racial and economic justice. We would prefer
candidates with 6+ years of experience with demonstrated success
identifying potential donors and supporters, managing donor
relationships, developing corporate partnerships, and earning
public dollars. The Director’s experience should be relevant to
projects in education, literacy, social enterprise, or social
The Director of Development position is currently remote, though
LWB US does have a preference for someone who's based in one of our
- The Director of Development may travel up to 10 business days
per month, as needed, domestically and internationally.
- This is a Full-Time Exempt position requiring flexibility to
work evening and weekend hours as needed for meetings and
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) candidates are strongly preferred.
French Fluency is preferred but not required.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Libraries Without Borders is an equal opportunity employer
committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workforce. We strive
to be a workplace where people thrive by being themselves and are
inspired to do their best work every day. We would like to see our
commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion reflected in the
candidate pool for this vital position.
- Collaborate with the Development Manager to oversee grants from
application to reporting.
- Collaborate with the Development Manager to maintain, develop,
and deepen relationships with relevant family foundations and
national donor organizations.
- Collaborate with the Development Manager to grow individual
- Collaborate with the Development Manager, Executive Director,
and Board of Directors to create a development strategy that
increases LWB US revenue streams and brand awareness
- Develop, maintain, and deepen relationships with existing and
prospective high net worth individual donors.
- Liaise with the Board of Directors and keep members apprised of
the organization’s development efforts through periodic reports and
- Manage quarterly fundraising goals, as determined in concert
with the Executive Director and relevant parties
- Re-establish and oversee LWB US advisory council, planning a
minimum of two meetings per year and ensuring council members stay
up to date with LWB US activities
and needs, in tandem with the Executive Director
- Identify federal, state, and local funding opportunities.
- Create and implement a corporate partnership strategy.
- Plan special events, online and in-person, and other
opportunities to grow support for LWB US.
What We Offer
- Salary: Commensurate with experience
- Benefits: Health insurance (including dental, mental health,
- Vacation: 20 days of PTO, including sick days
- Professional development: generous annual stipend
- We are looking to hire immediately!
- Applications will be accepted until the position is filled
- Anticipated start date December 2021 or January 2022
Please send an email titled, “Director of Development” to
the following information:
- Resume (1 page)
- Cover letter (1 page)
- Three references
- Writing samples (1 grant application with corresponding report
& 1 successful written or recorded pitch to individual donors
or corporate partners)
- Development experience (e.g., grants awarded, new donor
acquisition, a multi-year strategic development plan)
To learn more about the position, visit:
Libraries Without Borders (LWB US) is an education nonprofit
committed to providing equal access to information and
knowledge to communities in need. Through a focus on
human-centered design and community-based participatory research,
we create programs that respond to immediate needs, adapt to
ever-changing circumstances, and promote local capacity
building to enable long-term, sustainable progress.