Director of Client
Reports to: Chief
Compensation: This is a
full-time, exempt, grade 9 position
Date : November
Responsible for the vision and strategic plan for the
organization’s donor service teams, including the highly valued
Premier account segment (representing our Ultra High Net Worth
donor accounts). Leads a team of relationship managers and
client services representatives responsible for delivering on a
strategic plan to drive growth and sustainability across all donor
- Builds and manages the client services teams and ensures the
efficiency and effectiveness of the team(s) by recruiting,
developing, coaching and retaining highly-engaged diverse teams.
Sets measurable goals, holds team(s) accountable to high
quality performance metrics, and continuously examines ways to
improve the client experience and overall performance of the team
while meeting the changing needs of a growing and evolving
- Ensures the client services teams drive consultative
relationships to gain insights into client behavior for the purpose
of enhancing client engagement, loyalty, and growth. Assists teams
with their client base by providing coaching and behavior modeling
and resolving complex client issues.
- Develops the strategic vision for client services to deliver a
scalable service model for all client services teams to maximize
efficiency and provide outstanding client service to all donors.
- Plays an active role as a member of the Department Leadership
Team in developing and driving VC’s strategic plan, requiring a
comprehensive and deep understanding of the policies and financial
considerations of the business.
- Synthesizes complex information for the purpose of making
impactful decisions, balancing both client and enterprise
- Stays current and serves as an ambassador in the competitive
marketplace which may be accomplished by meeting with clients or
other stakeholders, presenting at local or national conferences and
staying up to date on legislative policies changes.
- Leverages expertise and insights from Premier Segment to
collaborate with business development on prospect activities for
the ultra-high net worth segment, as needed.
- Ensures VC’s differentiated offering (contributions,
grantmaking, and investments) is appropriately delivered across all
donor account segments.
- Forges relationships with the key stakeholders and appropriate
decision makers in other departments and at Vanguard while
exhibiting strong judgement and creativity in meeting client needs.
Regarded as a mentor and role model to individuals across the
- Takes an analytical approach to establish metrics around risk,
growth and trends in the business. Regularly reports out to
Leadership Team and VC’s Board of Trustees on trends and topics
impacting the Vanguard Charitable donors including the Premier
Segment of donors.
- Leads and participates in special business-wide projects as
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent combination of training and
experience. MBA and Chartered Advisor in Philanthropy (CAP)
- Minimum of ten years of demonstrated client centric work and
advocacy. Minimum five years of proven people leadership
- Strong investment and financial markets knowledge.
- Demonstrated relationship management and sales experience;
ability to drive strong partnerships and relationships both
internally and externally.
- Excellent listening and communication skills.
- Collaborative leadership style; strong influencer and
- Demonstrates innovative, flexible and independent thinking.
- Some U.S. travel required.
- Experience with Salesforce or other sales management system
Vanguard Charitable is not offering employment-based
sponsorship for this position. Additionally, employment is
contingent on a successful drug-screening result.