Big Brothers Big Sisters of America ("BBBSA") is hiring a
Vice President of Programs and Outcomes to join
the nation's largest youth empowerment organization. This position
will work in a fully remote capacity.
The VP of Program & Outcomes will oversee and have
operational responsibility for all program and research &
outcomes functions of Big Brothers Big Sisters of America. The VP
uses their broad experience and expertise to guide programmatic
efforts for the Network of affiliate agencies; developing
program areas, identifying emerging opportunities within youth
development, ensuring quality and accountability of established and
emerging programs, and evaluating the performance and effectiveness
of programs. The VP will identify practices that will improve
agency performance towards network program goals and recommend
enhancements to the Service Delivery Systems.
The VP of Program & Outcomes will have
a big-picture, strategic perspective with the ability to apply
effective and creative problem-solving techniques to program
development, the ability to lead, inspire and encourage others
to embark on new or different programs, ability to understand
and effectively apply principals of root cause analysis
including developing and applying appropriate measures/metrics
to operational improvement, and experience with and
ability to work with a national federation representing divergent
needs and resources. The VP of Program & Outcomes will hold a
bachelors degree and have a minimum of 15 years of
experience in program evaluation and implementation, preferably in
a youth-serving organization.
*Due to COVID-19 precautions, this position does not currently
travel, but is expected to travel 25-30% once safe travel can
The essential duties and responsibilities of the VP of Programs
& Outcomes include, but are not limited to:
Essential Duties and
- Creates annual program development plans, in collaboration with
the Senior Leadership Team, that includes but is not limited to the
following: BBBSA strategic program initiatives, the required staff
and training necessary to implement the plan, measures of success,
and resource allocations. Develops and provides guidance, input,
analysis, systems processes, tools and expertise in the development
of strategies, tactics, and evaluation metrics across programmatic
- Guides and develops a national model of programmatic excellence
that champions mentoring, produces high quality outcomes and
maintains BBBS program fundamentals while inspiring innovation
- Partners with BBBS network to assess and enhance the Service
Delivery Model (SDM) and test strategies to offer long-term,
sustainable solutions for continuous improvement and growth
- Identifies innovation projects/practices that could be
incorporated into research agenda, development, testing,
evaluation, and possible implementation. Oversees and develops
procedures to pilot projects that apply new and/or enhanced program
practices. Develops program materials, tools, and resources if new
and/or enhanced programs for use by BBBS agencies.
- Serves as BBBSA primary program subject matter expert (SME) for
assigned grants, partnerships, and events, and across diverse
- Empowers the work of the National Youth Advisory Council
through staff lead to ensure youth voice is embedded within
Outcomes and Evaluation
- Conducts evaluation and program impacts by designing evaluation
frameworks and identify key performance indicators through rigorous
analysis using qualitative/quantitative data and translates
findings for both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Develops and administers research and evaluation priorities for
BBBSA, including new areas of research, pilot projects, and
external partnerships providing a forum for enhancing the
visibility BBBSA’s impact and outcomes.
- Serves as a thought leader in disseminating findings of impact
studies, effective practices and related measures to agencies,
funders and other stakeholders.
- Coordinates implementation of all BBBSA research/evaluation
projects including but not limited to: directing internal
research/evaluation grant-funded projects around innovative
programming strategies; includes outcomes reporting and project
summaries, implementation of external research and evaluation
projects occurring in collaboration with BBBSA
- Creates data-driven reports that integrate outcomes’ impact and
highlights key findings to inform marketing and communications
messaging; and to improve program design.
- Extrapolates from research findings relevant insights to inform
effective program practices within the network as well as to inform
national strategies for innovation.
- Manages BBBSA’s Research Advisory Council (RAC), working with
the council chair to effectively utilize the talents of its
members, select new members, set and facilitate remote and
- Assists agencies with the implementation of evaluation
procedures and monitors outcome evaluation efforts - collects,
analyzes, and reports evaluation findings.
- Manages implementation of external research and evaluation
projects occurring in collaboration with BBBSA.
Program Partnerships and Collaborations
- Establishes and manages key non-profit alliances with industry
partners that brings value to BBBSA and BBBS Agencies.
- Serves as SME for the Nationwide Leadership Council (NLC) and
Affinity Groups. Support and collaborate on programmatic
- In partnership with communications team, serves as key
ambassador to advocate BBBS program offerings and outcomes through
various media outlets, channels and content.
- In partnership with Resource Development, serves as SME in the
development of funding proposals that strategically advance
traditional and innovative program models, systems, and performance
management to result in positive outcomes for the youth served.
Focus on tapping expertise and in-kind value of our corporate
partners to provide influence and expertise.
- In partnership with Youth Protection, collaborates to ensure
youth protection and trauma informed care strategies are integrated
with practicality into program products and systems.
- In partnership with Information Technology, serves as SEM in
the planning and prioritization of Program Management platform
functionality and enhancements.
- In partnership with the Learning and Development staff, serves
as SEM in the development and dissemination of programmatic
trainings and resources.
- Serves as a positive cultural leader, influencer, and expert
within BBBSA and across the federation.
- Focuses on cross-functional leadership with all departments
within BBBSA and across the Federation. Effectively communicate and
collaborate with other departments on programmatic projects and
- Works in partnership with BBBSA Board and senior leaders
- Hires, trains and mentors a team of diverse professionals to
execute on programmatic objectives.
- Leads team in setting objectives and performance development
- Supports strategic match growth and quality outcome goals
articulated in the BBBSA Strategic Plan. Works
cross-functionally to implement strategies to reach these
- Partners with the Chief Agency Officer in identifying
opportunities, challenges, and solutions while implementing the
broader vision of the Agency Support across BBBSA. Serve as a
thinking partner and co-leader in planning Agency Support services
that incorporate evidence-based practices, youth protection
practices, and outcomes.
- Demonstrates a commitment to cultural diversity and inclusion
that reflects BBBSA’s commitment to JEDI (justice, equity,
diversity, and inclusion).
- Attracts, develops, coaches, and retains high-performance team
members, empowering them to elevate their level of responsibility,
span of control, and performance.
- Provides consistent follow-up after meetings and throughout the
life cycle of assigned projects.
- Creates and monitors annual performance objectives for all
members of the Program team.
- Manages, coaches, and assesses the performance of direct
- Develops and implements an approach to onboarding new employees
to ensure a rich immersion into the BBBS culture and the tactical
details of their positions, along with orientation to their roles
- Other duties as assigned.
At Big Brothers Big Sisters of America, justice, equity,
diversity, and inclusion (JEDI) is an integral part of our values
and mission. We recognize, affirm, and celebrate the diverse
backgrounds, lives, and experiences of all of our stakeholders,
including youth, families, donors, volunteers, and staff. We ensure
the opportunity for all voices and perspectives to be heard and
honored. In the workplace, we foster an environment where all
people can be their best selves. We affirm that every person
[regardless of ability, age, cultural background, ethnicity, faith,
gender, gender identity, gender expression, ideology, income,
national origin, race or sexual orientation, marital or veteran
status] has the opportunity to reach their full potential. We
strive to realize the full potential that is within all of us by
ensuring that all voices and perspectives are heard and
Equal Employment Opportunity
BBBSA provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified
individuals without regard to race, creed, color, citizenship,
religion, national origin, age, sex, familial or marital status,
pregnancy, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender
identity or expression, genetic information, disability, or any
other legally-protected status in accordance with applicable local,
state, and federal laws, regulations, and ordinances.
Americans with Disabilities Act
Employee must be able to perform all essential job functions,
with or without reasonable accommodation.
The above statements reflect the general duties,
responsibilities and competencies considered necessary to perform
the essential duties and responsibilities of the job and should not
be considered as a detailed description of all the work
requirements of the position. BBBSA may change the specific job
duties with or without prior notice based on the needs of the
Big Brothers Big Sisters of America is directly
recruiting and hiring for this position. We are not engaging any
staffing/recruitment firms or agencies for this position. If any
candidate profile/resume/identifying information is sent to Big
Brothers Big Sisters of America and/or Big Brothers Big Sisters
agencies we will not pay any referral or firm fees in relation to