The Office of Development & Alumni Relations’ mission is to
engage external constituents of the College, to involve them as
volunteers in fulfilling its mission, and most importantly, to
inspire them to invest their resources in support of the identified
current objectives and future dreams. The role of Director of
Development is a key part of an integrated fundraising approach
that leverages the power of annual giving, major giving, planned
giving, corporate, foundation, and government funding working
The Director of Development is responsible for building lasting
relationships and the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of
50-75 individual donor prospects with an emphasis on leadership
annual giving to Beloit College (donors of $1,000 or greater). The
Director reports directly to the Executive Director for Leadership
Gifts and works closely with staff and volunteers to identify donor
prospects and fulfill their interests in engaging with Beloit. This
position coordinates fundraising approaches, develops, assists
with, and presents highly competitive funding proposals, and helps
ensure a high-quality stewardship process
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages a dynamic personal portfolio of 50-75 qualified major
gift prospects with a goal of obtaining gift commitments of $1,000
- Maintains a face-to-face visit schedule that ensures personal
contact through at least 120 conversations per year.
- Stays knowledgeable on all aspects of Beloit College including
its vision, mission, history, structure, policies, financial
- Performs qualification calls and new donor
evaluation/validation reports as assigned from Director of Prospect
- Recruits and enlists volunteers and volunteer leaders and
reports to Alumni Office.
- Represents the Development and Alumni Relations office and the
college to internal and external constituencies; serve on
committees and attend events as needed. Participates in community,
civic and other activities to foster support for and involvement
with Beloit College.
- Documents all constituent activity in Raiser’s Edge database,
as well as informing college faculty and staff of actions as
- Staff major events on campus at various times a year, including
Showcase, Homecoming, Reunion, training and other events as
- Stays current on fundraising techniques and trends and the
appropriate application of them at Beloit.
- Undertakes similarly related duties as assigned.
- Works closely with the Stewardship and Donor Relations staff
and all members of the Development and Alumni Relations Office to
insure a program of effective and efficient stewardship for all
major gift donors.
Credentials and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree or equivalent
combination of education, training, and work experience
- Progressively responsible leadership experience in
institutional development or a related field.
- Demonstrated success at closing leadership gifts,
meeting/exceeding development metrics.
- Experience with planned giving vehicles and solicitations is
Because equity and inclusion are central to our students’
liberal education and vital to the thriving of all members of our
residential learning community, Beloit College aspires to be an
actively anti-racist institution. We recognize our aspiration as
ongoing and institution-wide, involving collective commitment and
accountability. We welcome employees who are committed to and will
actively contribute to our efforts to celebrate our cultural and
intellectual richness and be resolute in advancing inclusion and
equity. We encourage all interested individuals meeting the
criteria of the described position to apply.
Located in a diverse community close to Madison, Milwaukee, and
Chicago, Beloit is a selective undergraduate liberal arts college
that attracts students from across the United States and the world.
The college emphasizes excellence in teaching, learning beyond the
traditional classroom, international perspectives, and
collaborative research among students and faculty. It is recognized
as one of the Colleges That Change Lives.