The Manager of Engagement and External Communications will
identify and foster engagement opportunities by developing and
facilitating strong relationships while emphasizing Oak Hill’s
programmatic impact to key stakeholders within the community.
This position provides various external communications support
to all Oak Hill programs including, but not limited to: social
media, media outreach, media buys, direct mailings, annual appeals,
newsletter story cultivation, public education efforts and website
updates. This position also participates in the creation and
implementation of special events.
This position is responsible for the creation of Oak Hill’s
External Communications Plan that provides detailed strategies to
be implemented in an effort to communicate the organization’s
impact to both internal and external stakeholders. This External
Communications Plan will be tied directly to the goals and
objectives of the agency’s strategic plan, the Development Plan and
all remaining Oak Hill Program Plans. This position engages the
board and leadership in building a culture of philanthropy at Oak
Hill that ensures overall fundraising success.
SUPERVISORY AND OTHER CONTACTS
The Manager of Engagement & External Communications works
under the general direction of the Senior Director of Development
and does not have any supervisory role. This individual will act as
a liaison with consultants and vendors as needed. This person works
with all members of the Oak Hill Development Team to ensure the
This individual will have contact with administration, board
members, employees, parents, donors, funders and the public.
TARGET OUTCOMES/MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Creates and oversees Oak Hill’s External Communications Plan
outlining specific goals and objectives tied to the agency’s
- Identifies and fosters engagement opportunities by developing
and facilitating strong relationships
- Effectively and consistently communicates agency impact to Oak
- Develops communications strategies to meet program needs while
tying them to philanthropy
- Enhances fundraising efforts to increase the agency’s
- Creates culture of philanthropy throughout the
- Stays current on best practices in the field via professional
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Writes all stories for fundraising appeals, newsletters and
other fundraising collateral and prepares their production in
collaboration with graphic designer and printer
- Prepares donor newsletters for external distribution
- Works with program staff and department heads to identify
program highlights/community impact and current and future
initiatives that need to be communicated to all Oak Hill
- Identifies and secures stories/photos (with photo permissions)
for publications, appeals, touches with parents/guardians and
donors and other types of communication strategies necessary to
- Creates and manages an External Communications Plan that
communicates community impact and inspiration of agency programming
while cultivating strategic partnerships to support forward-looking
and creative insight on future initiatives
- Works with Oak Hill departments/programs to review the external
communications needs outlined in their individual program plans to
determine the types of support each program needs to achieve stated
goals. These types of support may include but are not limited
to management of website and media content, creation of new program
and event flyers, social media messaging, and emails to the public
- Manages communications with the media
- Builds strong working relationship(s) with media contacts i.e.
- Prepares and distributes press releases and other informational
materials to all press outlets
- Assists with coordinating and scheduling media interviews and
gathering information in preparation for any agency staff or
constituent media interviews
- Drafts quotes for CEO understanding their writing style and
“tone” for different communication pieces
- Works with media vendors to place media buys and/or ads,
negotiating pricing to meet demands of budget considering the
return on investment
- Develops and Manages a Social Media Plan for Oak Hill which
includes – Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
- Maintains and/or assists with ALL Social Media pages
- Provides reports on performance of social media pages
- Identifies fundraising opportunities using Facebook, Crowd Rise
and other fundraising platforms
- Manages all Website Content
- Provides web content/website maintenance support to
- Attends Oak Hill events and posts to website / social media
- Works with Development team to identify companies and
organizations that should be linked to Oak Hill pages (e.g.
- Acts as liaison with IT Department to provide more intricate
website updates from programs, as needed.
- Maintains a web update schedule for various sections of the
site to ensure that they remain current (e.g. appeals,
publications, message from the President, 990’s, volunteer
opportunities, advocacy calendar, etc.)
- Oversees Google Analytics and provides reports on a quarterly
basis to appropriate Program Director(s)
- Tracks and reports impact of external communications efforts by
creating systems that analyze the investment of resources and uses
these reports to determine future investment
- Conducts regular strategy sessions regarding internal and
- Maintains an inventory of marketing supplies/presentation
folders/brochures/promotional items and marketing event materials
(e.g. banners/tablecloths, etc.)
- Works with members of the Development team to coordinate and
participate in any relevant agency committee work.
- Other duties as assigned
- Four-year degree and five years of related experience or
equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Understanding of the non-profit/Development environment
- Basic graphic designs skills
- Expert knowledge of social media platforms
- Passion for the Mission
- Photography skills a plus
- Working knowledge of Google Analytics a plus.
- Knowledge of website and content management using
- Experience executing events and working with vendors.
- Practical knowledge of general office equipment use.
- Ability to make decisions under pressure.
- Ability to manage multiple projects efficiently and to be
flexible and dependable
- Excellent writing and oral communication/presentation
- Excellent attention to detail and commitment to quality
- Ability to interact with all types of personalities and levels
- Ability to work after hour events and weekends, as
- Knowledge of fund development methods and practices.
- Knowledge of media relations.
- Knowledge of desk top publishing and other publishing platforms
Microsoft Publisher, Word, Microsoft Excel and Blackbaud's Raiser's
- Ability to respond to common inquiries from individuals and
- Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that
conform to prescribed style and format.
- Ability to effectively present information to top management,
public groups, and/or board members. Ability to interact and
develop rapport with a broad range of individuals.
The following physical activities are likely to be performed
within the frequency listed below:
Using hands: occasionally
Using fingers: occasionally
Seeing: (close), constantly
Low to moderate noise level.
Office setting with the possibility of dust.
0% - 33%
34% - 66%
67% - 100%