Our client has entered into a multi-year partnership with a
major sporting organization and is seeking qualified candidates for
a Major Gift Officer position. This partnership represents an
exciting opportunity for the right individual to help advance the
organizations’ brands, build new relationships inside and outside
the related sporting industry/fan base, and advance philanthropic
support around an innovative, mission-driven philanthropic campaign
which will become an “official charity” of the partnered sporting
POSITION SUMMARY – MAJOR GIFT OFFICER
This position is responsible for closing major philanthropic
gifts that help the client fulfill its partnership with a major
sporting association. The Major Gift Officer will be responsible
for meeting directly with qualified prospects for the purposes of
cultivating and soliciting corporate major gifts in support of the
client’s foundation and impact fund – gifts primarily at or above
$75,000. This position will also be the primary gift officer
working on related gala/charity events, as well as sporting
association-related fundraising. This position involves high levels
of activity outside the traditional office setting, including
attending events and meeting with corporate donors face-to-face.
The ideal candidate will represent the client in high-level
professional settings, will be intimately involved with the major
sporting organization, will travel to related sporting event
venues, and will help build a multi-year program from the ground
1. Meets with donors and prospects to convey the client’s
mission and opportunities to support its impact work.
2. Submits qualified gift/sponsorship proposals to donor
3. Attends events for the client and the association that
include donors and prospects, as appropriate.
4. Records all donor/prospect calls, meetings, proposals, and
other actions in The Raiser’s Edge software in a timely manner.
5. Works with the Manager of Events to assure optimization of
the client’s partnership with sporting association, and all related
fundraising and promotional opportunities.
6. Coordinates fundraising activity with other client
fundraising initiatives, efforts and gift officers, and coordinates
with the association’s philanthropy team. Builds and maintains
strong working relationship with the association.
7. Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in related field (communications,
philanthropy, marketing, public relations, not-for-profit
YEARS OF EXPERIENCE: 2-3 years’ experience in face-to-face
fundraising, sales, or business development.
• Exceptional interpersonal communication and presentation
• Organized and self-starting.
• Ability to professionally interface with CEO level corporate
partners and potential donors.
• Ability to convey passion for client, its work and the
partnership with the sporting association.
• Ability to initiate and build relationships, creatively engage
donor prospects and effectively communicate the case for
• Must have, and maintain, high personal and professional
integrity in keeping with accepted philanthropy industry
• Must be able to manage an independent work schedule to achieve
activity and gift closure goals.
• Must be able to work within complex and different
• Must be able to travel on a frequent basis.
EDUCATION: Course work in fundraising.
YEARS OF EXPERIENCE: 1 or more years’ experience in
sporting/sporting-related event planning, presentation and/or