World Food Program USA, a nonprofit organization
based in Washington, DC, proudly supports the mission of the United
Nations World Food Programme by mobilizing American policymakers,
businesses and individuals to advance the global movement to end
hunger. Our leadership and support help to bolster an enduring
American legacy of feeding families in need around the
World Food Program USA’s values, Collaborative,
Accountable, Respectful, Inclusive, and Optimistic, provide the
framework for how we behave and work together to reach our goals to
feed and save the lives of the most vulnerable people around the
world. We are looking for applicants who embody these values and
are invested in forwarding our mission.
OVERALL POSITION DESCRIPTION
The Senior Director of External Affairs provides leadership around
World Food Program USA’s communications activities, including brand
awareness and communications, creative strategy and campaign
development, public and media relations, thought leadership,
executive positioning, and celebrity, influencer, media and brand
partnerships to raise the organization's profile among U.S.-based
audiences to connect people with the U.N. World Food Programme and
the issues of global hunger.
- Leverage expertise in brand communications, creative strategy,
public relations and entertainment/lifestyle connections to deliver
best-in-class creative, campaigns and brand partnerships
- Oversee narrative and storytelling, develop creative briefs,
work cross functionally and cross departmentally to implement
compelling campaigns with high engagement and conversion rates
- Lead the development of an external affairs strategy that
allows World Food Program USA to cultivate and enhance meaningful
relationships with targeted external audiences, including media,
key influencers, celebrities, and others to advance U.N. WFP’s
reputation and mission, broaden awareness of U.N. WFP in the U.S.
market, and increase public support, understanding and engagement
across key stakeholder audiences
- Play a critical role in crisis management, including strategy,
message development and tactical execution on sensitive issues.
Enable the organization and the team to adapt plans quickly to
address new humanitarian emergencies, developing commensurate
marketing and communications plans around emergency relief
- Manage the relationship with key stakeholders at WFP
headquarters, fostering open collaborative communication and the
exchange of initiatives, learnings and performance.
- Develop and monitor key performance indicators (KPIs) and other
operational metrics for all communications and external affairs
- Work across departments to ensure the organization speaks with
one voice through synchronized messaging, campaigns and
- Provide leadership, direction and professional development to a
team of highly skilled communications staff. Mentor, coach and
develop the team, guiding the development of individual team
members and working to position the team for success both
internally and externally
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a relevant field required (i.e.
marketing, communications, international affairs, or related
- 10+ years experience managing comprehensive brand
communications, creative strategy and external affairs programs
with demonstrated success in all or most of the functional
- Must have at least 4 years in a leadership or supervisory role
- Experience in a nonprofit environment
- Superb storytelling capabilities, with deep familiarity of
public and media relations, creative strategy, brand and
- A big-picture thinker with demonstrated success in developing
creative briefs, executing innovative strategies to strengthen
nonprofit brand and reputation and campaigns that result in
significant conversion from engagement to donation.
- Demonstrated success formulating and leading strategic
engagements with external stakeholders.
- A talented communicator with exceptional writing/editing,
verbal communication and presentation skill sets. A background in
editorial and creative strategy and management.
- Ability to work independently without close oversight, while
being a strong team player who will productively engage with others
at varying levels of seniority within and outside WFP USA.
- Strong affinity for WFP USA’s mission and program
- The ideal candidate will thrive in a high-energy, hands-on,
fast-paced and entrepreneurial organization as part of a
collaborative and cross-matrixed team.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a resume and cover letter to the link
provided. No phone calls or agencies, please.
World Food Program USA is a nonprofit organization. This is
a full-time position that offers a competitive salary and
outstanding benefits. WFP USA is an equal opportunity